Lindy's Low Carb Cheesecake
(based on cheesecake recipe from Lindy's Restaurant in NYC)
2 1/2 lbs. cream cheese
1 1/4 cup Splenda (or equivalent)
3 tbsp. flour
1 1/2 tsp. grated orange rind
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup finely-ground almonds, walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup Splenda (or equivalent)
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1. Prepare crust by combining nuts, sugar, lemon rind and vanilla. Make a well in centre and add egg yolk and butter. Work together quickly with hands until well blended. Wrap in waxed paper and chill thoroughly in refrigerator, about 1 hour.
2. Prepare filling by combining cheese, sugar, flour, grated orange and lemon rind and vanilla. Add eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, stirring after each addition. Stir in cream. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter bottom and side of a 9-inch spring-form pan.
4. Put crust mixture into the spring-form pan and spread it out over bottom of pan. Crust should completely cover bottom of pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool.
5. When the pan has cooked slightly butter the sides of the pan.
6. Fill the pan with the cheese mixture. Bake in a 450 degree over for 12 to 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 200 degrees and continue baking one hour. Remove from pan and cool completely.
7. To serve, loosen pastry from side of pan with a spatula. Remove side of spring-form pan. Cut cheesecake into wedges.
Serves 12. Each slice has 12g carb so it is *not* an induction food.