I picked up the original recipe from Paula Deen, but wanted to see if I could try my hand at modifying a recipe to make it SouthBeach friendly. I have never done it on my own, so this was a new one on me, LOL I have to say I'm pleased w/ the way it turned out. I cut mine into bite-sized pieces to serve at our family Christmas gathering on Sunday.
* 2 cups Splenda + 3 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup (SB style brown sugar)
* 2 cups whole wheat flour
* 1 stick butter-substitute, softened, plus more for greasing (I used 1/2 cup Smart Balance)
* 3 eggs, beaten
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut (I used unsweeten)
* 2 cups pecans, chopped (I used almonds)
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar concoction, flour, and butter. Add eggs and vanilla and stir well. Fold in coconut, pecans, and chocolate chips until well combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted through the middle comes out clean. Cool the cake completely in the pan before cutting it into squares.
1st goal - 10% of body weight lost - MET 06/21/10
2nd goal - 100 lbs lost
3rd goal - 180 lbs!!!