Old 11-23-2005, 01:16 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Crust Alternatives (for cheesecake, pie, etc.)

Crust Alternatives:

Toasted Coconut Crust:
(Note: Flaked coconut is usually sweetened. Use unsweetened--you may have to add some splenda or even some vanilla SF syrup to compensate for the lack of sweetening, or to help hold things together)

In small bowl, combine 2 c flaked coconut (see note) with 1/4 c softened butter or margarine (try Land O' Lakes light butter or trans fat free marg.). OR 1/2 cup coconut milk (try light) or cream (try 2% milk). Press into 9" pie pan. Bake at 325F, 20 min or until golden; chill.

Chocolate Coconut Crust:
(Note: Flaked coconut is usually sweetened. Use unsweetened--you may have to add some splenda or even some vanilla SF syrup to compensate for the lack of sweetening, or to help hold things together)

In medium bowl, combine 1 square (1 oz) melted unsweetened chocolate (you could use regular dark chocolate so you need less Splenda) and 2 tablespoons milk; stir in 2 cups flaked coconut (see note) and 1/2 cup confectioners sugar (use Splenda). Press into 9" pie pan; chill.

Oatmeal-Coconut Crust
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/3 cup softened butter (I'd use Land O' Lakes Light Butter or a non-trans fat margerine)
1/4 cup brown sugar (play with this...some brown sugar, some splenda/SF maple syrup...your call as to how much you can handle)

Toast oats in a shallow pan at 375 degrees about 7 minutes until golden. Mix in coconut, softened butter, and sugar. Press into 9 inch pie dish

Spiced Nut Crust
Walnut for pumpkin, pecan for fruit
1 cup flour (I'd use WW flour)
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar (some brown sugar, some splenda/SF maple syrup)
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup melted butter (I'd use Smart Balance or other trans-fat free marg.)
12-16 nut halves for garnish

Mix the above together thoroughly. Press into 9 inch pie plate. Use a fork to prick the crust.

If desired, press nut halves onto rim of pie crust. Prebake at 350*F for 8 minutes, or fully bake in 15.

Peanut- Sesame Crust
1 cup flour (I'd use WW flour)
1/3 cup dry-roasted peanuts
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
2 tablespoons sugar (I'd use splenda)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons peanut oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil OR extra-light olive oil
2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
Preheat oven to 400°F.

In food processor combine flour, peanuts, sesame seeds, sugar, and salt. Process until nuts are finely ground. Transfer to large bowl.

In small bowl, whisk together peanut oil, olive oil, and 2 tablespoons ice water until well combined. Make well in center of dry ingredients, add oil mixture and stir with fork until well combined (add another tablespoon of ice water only if necessary for dough to hold together). Shape dough into 1/2"-thick disk.
Roll dough out between 2 sheets of lightly floured waxed paper into a 11" circle (1/8" thick).

Transfer dough to 9" tart pan with removable bottom and carefully fit dough into pan. Trim edges even with top of tart pan. Prick bottom all over with tines of a fork.

Line dough with waxed paper or foil and fill with beans, or pie weights. Bake 15 minutes. Remove waxed paper or foil and weights and continue baking 10 to 12 minutes longer or until edges are golden brown and crisp. Set on a rack to cool completely before filling.

Nutritional Information Per serving: 177 calories, 11g total fat, 1.7g saturated fat, 5.5g monounsaturated fat, 3.3g polyunsaturated fat, 1.2g dietary fiber, 3g protein, 17g carbohydrate, 0mg cholesterol, 74mg sodium

Whole Grain Pie Crust
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup ground oatmeal (take oatmeal and pulse in a food processor until ground)
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil (try canola)
1/2 cup water

Combine the flour, oatmeal and salt in a bowl. Blend in the oil, then add the water.

Crunchy Oat-Nut Crust
3/4 cup flour (I'd use WW flour)
1/2 cup quick oatmeal (I'd use the old fashioned and see how well it works...we aren't supposed to use quick oatmeal)
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 tablespoons sugar (I'd use Splenda)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup melted butter (I'd use Smart Balance or other trans-fat free marg.)

Mix together thoroughly. Press into 9 inch plate. Bake at 375*F for about 12 minutes. Cool before filling with any cold filling.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:42 AM   #2  

Red face

Hi,
Thank you for posting thes fabulous sounding crusts. I cannot wit to try them all. Happy Turkey Day to all.
Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Aha...seek and ye shall find...I'll try one this weekend.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

the oat/coconut sounds dreamy!!!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote