Amazingly Delicious Whole-Grain Brownies

• I adapted a recipe from AllRecipes for SBD. They were delicious...almost too much so! If I make them again, I'm going to cook them in a mini muffin pan and freeze the majority as soon as they cool so I'm not tempted to snack!

My comments are in brackets and red.

Quote:
    Amazingly Delicious Whole-Grain Brownies
    Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 25 Minutes
    Ready In: 45 Minutes
    Servings: 12

"These brownies are a result of my tampering with a regular brownie recipe and obtaining an amazing result. They are so moist and fudgy that you'll never know they're good for you!"

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup applesauce [No Sugar Added, please]
    3/4 cup white sugar [I used 1/4 cup of More Fiber with Stevia, 1/4 cup Splenda, and 1/4 cup of Xylitol]
    2 egg whites
    1/4 cup butter, melted [I used melted Smart Balance]
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon coffee flavored extract
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder [I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa for more intense flavor]
    1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour [I just used another 1/4 cup of WW pastry flour]
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) [I used]
    1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional) [I used dark ones from Ghirardelli]

Directions:
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x8 inch square pan.
    2. In a medium bowl, stir together the applesauce, white sugar, egg whites and butter until smooth. Mix in the buttermilk, vanilla extract and coffee extract. Combine the cocoa, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the sugar mixture just until incorporated. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
    3. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, but the brownies are still moist. Cool, and cut into squares.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2009 Allrecipes.com
  • these are fantastic, laurie! I only had stone ground ww flour on hand and didn't feel like running out for pastry flour. They were a bit more dense than I would imagine they would be with the pastry flour, but still very rich and chocolatey.

awesome recipe!
  • I made these tonight...they were yummy!!!
  • made these again, but in a mini bundt pan and instead of baking the chocolate chips into the brownies, i melted them and gave each mini bundt a little drizzle. very yummy and nobody could believe they were "healthed up."

I'm going to make them next weekend for DH's birthday celebration so I'm not tempted to eat cake
  • I have made these twice. The first time I used a half cup of agave and a quarter cup of erythritol in place of the sugar and they were super fudgy. Today I used a half cup of Splenda because I was making them for someone else (I don't care for Splenda myself) and a quarter cup of erythritol and they came out more cakey.