Old 02-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Amazingly Delicious Whole-Grain Brownies

I adapted a recipe from AllRecipes for SBD. They were delicious...almost too much so! If I make them again, I'm going to cook them in a mini muffin pan and freeze the majority as soon as they cool so I'm not tempted to snack!

My comments are in brackets and red.

Quote:
Amazingly Delicious Whole-Grain Brownies
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Ready In: 45 Minutes
Servings: 12

"These brownies are a result of my tampering with a regular brownie recipe and obtaining an amazing result. They are so moist and fudgy that you'll never know they're good for you!"

Ingredients:
1/4 cup applesauce [No Sugar Added, please]
3/4 cup white sugar [I used 1/4 cup of More Fiber with Stevia, 1/4 cup Splenda, and 1/4 cup of Xylitol]
2 egg whites
1/4 cup butter, melted [I used melted Smart Balance]
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coffee flavored extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder [I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa for more intense flavor]
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour [I just used another 1/4 cup of WW pastry flour]
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) [I used]
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional) [I used dark ones from Ghirardelli]

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x8 inch square pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the applesauce, white sugar, egg whites and butter until smooth. Mix in the buttermilk, vanilla extract and coffee extract. Combine the cocoa, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the sugar mixture just until incorporated. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, but the brownies are still moist. Cool, and cut into squares.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2009 Allrecipes.com
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

these are fantastic, laurie! I only had stone ground ww flour on hand and didn't feel like running out for pastry flour. They were a bit more dense than I would imagine they would be with the pastry flour, but still very rich and chocolatey.

awesome recipe!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

I made these tonight...they were yummy!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

made these again, but in a mini bundt pan and instead of baking the chocolate chips into the brownies, i melted them and gave each mini bundt a little drizzle. very yummy and nobody could believe they were "healthed up."

I'm going to make them next weekend for DH's birthday celebration so I'm not tempted to eat cake
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I have made these twice. The first time I used a half cup of agave and a quarter cup of erythritol in place of the sugar and they were super fudgy. Today I used a half cup of Splenda because I was making them for someone else (I don't care for Splenda myself) and a quarter cup of erythritol and they came out more cakey.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote