Ginger-Hazelnut Pumpkin Tart

• I've made this for Thanksgiving dessert for the last two years. I serve it with SF Cool Whip, and make the crust from a frozen WW pie crust (made without sugar). It's amazing! I put my changes in purple.

Quote:
    Ginger-Hazelnut Pumpkin Tart

Prebaking the empty crust in Step 2 ensures a crisp pastry.

Cooking spray
    1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury) (I use a frozen WW pie crust made without sugar)
    2/3 cup granulated sugar (I use a mixture of Splenda, Erithrytol, and Spice flavored SF syrup)
    1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup fat-free milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted
    2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger (I use this...it comes to a very little amount on each slice and you can always pick yours off if you're worried...)
    2 tablespoons brown sugar (I use a brown sugar substitute, if you can't find one, try a combo of 1.5 T of Splenda and .5T of Cinnamon for color. This is sprinkled on top, so SF Maple syrup doesn't work...)
    3 1/3 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream (I use FF cool whip...we don't need the extra calories!)

Preheat oven to 375º.
    Coat bottom only of a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan with cooking spray. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pan. Pierce bottom and sides of dough with a fork. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Combine granulated sugar, cheese, milk, vanilla, pumpkin-pie spice, salt, pumpkin, and egg in a food processor; process until well blended. Spoon the pumpkin mixture into prepared crust. Combine hazelnuts, ginger, and brown sugar; sprinkle evenly over pumpkin mixture. Bake at 375º for 45 minutes or until set. Cool 20 minutes on a wire rack. Serve with low-fat ice cream.

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 tart slice and 1/3 cup ice cream)

CALORIES 294 (30% from fat); FAT 9.8g (sat 4g,mono 4g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 6g; CHOLESTEROL 33mg; CALCIUM 138mg; SODIUM 200mg; FIBER 2.1g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 45.6g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2004