3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Desserts - Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/desserts-phase-1-131/)
-   -   Warm Chocolate Cakes with Coffee Creme Anglaise (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/desserts-phase-1/80125-warm-chocolate-cakes-coffee-creme-anglaise.html)

batmomm2000 03-28-2006 01:17 PM

Warm Chocolate Cakes with Coffee Creme Anglaise

I got this recipe from SELF magazine but it's really from Canyon Ranch spa.
makes 4, 139 calories ea (based on using white sugar)

Sauce

1/3 cup 2% milk [I used skim -- could also use evaporated skim or 1% milk]
4 tsp sugar [use Splenda, an equal amount of Stevia, etc.]
1 1-inch piece of vanilla bean(may substitute tsp of vanilla extract in a pinch)
4 tsp brewed coffee
1 egg yolk

Bring first (4) ingredients to a simmer in a medium pan over medium heat, stirring continuously. remove vanilla bean; scrape seeds into sauce. Place egg yolk in bowl and mix in 2 tbl of hot milk mixture. Mix well and add back to pan. cook 1 minute. Stir. Remove from heat; cool. cover and refrigerate.

cakes

1 egg, separated
2 tbl sugar [use Splenda, an equal amount of Stevia, etc.]
1/4 chopped bittersweet chocolate or bittersweet chips [This is fine in P2, but in P1, you need to use unsweetened chocolate and increase the sweetener to compensate]
7 tsp of nonfat plain yogurt

Beat egg white in a bowl with electric mixer til foamy. Add 1/2 tsp sugar, continue beating on high, add (5) more 1/2 tsp increments of sugar until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, beat egg yolk with remaining 1 tbl suar until think. Melt choclate in double boiler or microwave. Remove from heat; stir in yogurt; add to egg yolk mixture. Fold in egg white mixture. Cover; refrigerate at least an hour. Heat oven to 325. Coat 4 molds in muffin tin with cooking spray; pour in batter. bake 12 min or until cake springs back when touched. Cool slightly.

Pour 2 tbl sauce on each of 4 plates; put 1 cake on top of each.

This comes out as a very rich fancy dessert, great for company and perfect b/c it only makes 4.

cottagebythesea 04-02-2006 08:25 PM

I made these for dessert today, and they were delicious! I served them with a scoop of NF frozen vanilla yogurt. Even my DIL, who is a very fussy eater, liked them. I liked the fact that they were easy to make and called for ingredients that we normally already have on hand. Thanks for sharing this!

wonderlin 04-15-2006 06:47 PM

I just made these for our desert when my parents visit tomorrow. Of course, since it made 4, I need to "test" one tonight! YUM!!! None of us like coffee-flavored items, so I replacede the coffee with sugar-free chocolate-raspberry syrup (like Davinci syrup, but another brand.) My cakes stuck to the pans a bit. I also served with a drop of SF Cool Whip. Very good and decadent desert!! (BTW, I used the Splenda- same amt as sugar.)