Old 06-30-2005, 07:57 PM   #16  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

Red face

I made these, they were OK. Maybe I didn't rinse them good enough or didn't add enough vanilla. They had a nice thick consistency but had sort of a "beany" taste. I put about a tsp of light cream cheese and a little bit of sugar free, fat free syrup and they were good. I would recommend this dessert and next time am gonna try them with light coolwhip. I added up the calories of all ingredients and if you get six servings then each serving has 170 calories. Not bad and they are very filling.
pearshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:43 PM   #17  

pearshape- is that calorie count with the cream cheese?
darlingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:46 PM   #18  

anyone tried this cupcake style?
darlingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:30 PM   #19  

I made these tonight. I used 1/2 c. splenda and instead of sugar free choc. chips I broke up some mini Sugar Free Hershey bars that we had and also stirred in some walnuts. I also used a little more than 1 tsp vanilla...maybe 2 tsp instead.

I threw all the ingredients in a blender and ran it on high until the whole thing was a pourable mixture. Then I poured the mix into a baking dish and then lightly stirred in the chocolate pieces and walnut pieces.

I was really surprised. I told my husband that I made some and he tried one and couldnt believe that there was no flour and all bean. LOL!

Im not really fond of the splenda aftertaste in splenda stuff but these were pretty good. Would definitely be good w/ some whip cream but we dont have any.
Callalily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:35 PM   #20  

OK, I've tried these also. The beans didn't taste bad but I just CANNOT stomach the taste of Splenda in baked goods. Any suggestions?
Pickle Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:07 PM   #21  

I fixed them today!! I am impressed. I never would have guessed it... beans!

I fed some to my Aunt and MIL they were both surprised. I told my MIL before she had a bite. You should have seen the little bit she tore off. Then after the first bite, she started getting more.
djett626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:15 AM   #22  

Made these last night....in a nutshell....AMAZING!!! I could have eaten the entire pan. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!!!
healthy4good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:09 PM   #23  

I made these today...they are amazing! I also frosted them using the recipe for cream-cheese frosting that I found in the sb forums here. A few things that I think helped make them extra good: I used good beans (Whole Foods 365 Organic), and goooood cocoa (Lake Champlain). Plain old Nestle just won't give you the same rich chocolate flavor. Even the batter tasted like real brownies! My only complaint is that they're a bit crumbly, so I'm going to try adding 1 T more oil, and cooking them a little less. Thanks for the great recipe!
Honeybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:23 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 223/193/123

Height: 5'0"

I gotta say that after making them tonight I am now a huge fan of the beanie brownies!!! I made them with well rinsed Goya black beans and added a tsp more oil and 2 tsp of a very nice vanilla to the mix. I used 3/4 cup of splenda but I could have cut back a little bit. I loved them with a bit of ff cool whip on top.

I served these to my dh and did not tell him about the beans. He hates beans and will not touch them. He ate the brownie and liked it. I don't think I will tell him my secrets . My 2 1/2 year old liked them too and he is a chocolate junkie in the making. My dd was the only one not impressed and I think she would have eaten them if we had added the chocolate chips. Maybe next time...

thank you for the brilliant recipe!!!!
Sweet Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #25  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Okay, taken from a daily thread where it was hiding (no fair, chickies! ), here's Kara's (tomandkara) famous adaptation of the brownie recipe!

Quote:
Kara's Fabulous Beany Brownies
1 can navy beans (see below for other bean suggestions), drained and rinsed
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
about 1 t vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1 c nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup sugar-free caramel syrup (Target brand)
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped fine (I think it would be better with sugar free chocolates, chopped - I'll have to look harder for those next time.)

Mix ingredients together in a blender/ food processor until pureed. Pour into a greased (i.e. SBD-safe "grease") 8x8 cake pan. Stir in some baking chocolate (or sugar free chocolate chips) and nuts (if desired).

Bake a half hour at 350*F, plus a couple minutes.

Kara's Review:
THIS IS THE WINNING RECIPE!
I think Great Northern beans would be fine. I prefer white beans over black beans. They have less inherent flavor. Usually I use cannellini beans, which are the same as Great Northern. I just didn't have any in the cupboard this time around.

Also, I would inform people that they are made with beans. My father-in-law has diverticulitis and ate someone's "pumpkin" pie made with kidney beans once and it made him really sick. Not a lot of people go around announcing that they have intestinal issues, so you might not know.

This recipe is GOOD! The first one I tried was an interesting bean-y concoction. This one passes for "brownie".
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Has anyone made these with Dried black beans? I try not to use canned beans. And I have a baggie of black beans. Should I cook them after sitting them in Water overnight?
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #27  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Give it a try and let us know.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I don't see any problem using dried beans. I'd just soak and cook them as normal and then use the same amount you'd have in a can.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #29  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

tdi - I've converted you into dried beans!

I'm trying Kara's version tomorrow night. I like that her recipe uses agave nectar instead of Splenda. I find that baked goods made with 100% splenda have a funny taste - it must be a palate thing, because most people don't taste it. The sugar blend is pretty good, but a no-no.

I'm excited!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 232/*/138

Height: 67

You are an ANGEL! Just found out I have Celiac Disease, so anything with regular flour is out...and that meant no more brownies. Until now.
Salma is offline   Reply With Quote