3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Desserts - Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/desserts-phase-1-131/)
-   -   Chocolate Bean Cake w/ Cream Cheese Frosting - Phase I (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/desserts-phase-1/50158-chocolate-bean-cake-w-cream-cheese-frosting-phase-i.html)

fireflynova 12-06-2004 11:51 PM

Chocolate Bean Cake w/ Cream Cheese Frosting - Phase I

I know there is already a recipe for the bean cake, however I came across another one which is very different.. it also has a cream cheese frosting to put on top..credit goes to the ladies at http://www.***************************/forum/forum-5.html

Chocolate Bean Cake - Phase I

1 15 oz can black beans (drained & rinsed)
4 large eggs, seperated
1/2 cup Splenda (to taste, use 3/4 cup max)
3 TBSP baking cocoa (4 TBSP if you use the extra splenda)
2 TBSP strong coffee (or 1 TBSP espresso powder or coffee dissolved in 1 TBSP hot water)
1 tsp baking powder
2 TBSP Smart Beat spread or canola oil (I used smart spread)
1 tsp vanilla
2 TBSP chopped walnuts or hazelnuts-optional

Preheat oven to 350.

Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by spraying it with Pam.

Blend the egg yolks,splenda,baking powder, Smart Beat (or oil), vanilla, coffee, & cocoa in a blender or with a stick blender. Add the rinsed & drained beans & puree until smooth. Transfer bean mixture to a bowl if using a blender.

In a seperate bowl, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Mix 1/3 of the egg whites into the bean
mixture to lighten the bean mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites in two portions. It's OK if some white streaks remain in the batter.

Pour the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with chopped nuts if desired. Tap the pan on counter a couple of times to release any air pockets. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes before slicing.

Makes 16 2"x2" servings.

Variations: Chocolate peanut butter: add 2 TBSP natural peanut butter to the bean mixture. Sprinkle top with chopped peanuts if desired.

Chocolate hazelnut: Add 1 TBSP sugar-free hazelnut syrup or 1/4 tsp hazelnut extract to the bean mixture. Sprinkle the top with chopped hazelnuts if desired.

Note: coffee enhances the flavor of chocolate & makes it more chocolately, you don't taste the coffee.

From Tracy: This was really good! If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't have known it was made mostly of beans! For garnishes, You can also sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top if you choose to just use FF cool whip as a topping (which is also delish)... I turn the mini chips upside down and pushed them slightly into the cake while it was warm, when I microwaved it they melted and tasted like chocolate chip cake

Another tip is to make sure it's pureed enough, as smooth as you can get it.. (i put mine in my Magic Bullet, and it worked great)

For the strong coffee, I dissolved 2 TBS of instant coffee in 1 TBS hot water, worked wonderfully
:)

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 pkg. 1/3rd less fat cream cheese
1/2 to 1 Cup Splenda (to taste)
1 or 2 tsp. vanilla (again to taste)
Any DaVinci SF syrups to taste

Nuke the cheese until soft. Blend in Splenda & vanilla.

Just throw in some cocoa or peanut butter to change the flavour...

From Tracy
: I only used 1/2 cup of splenda, I love the taste of the cream cheese, I also added 1/2 cup cool whip to "fluffy" it up :p

UnCafeCvooPlay 12-27-2004 08:14 PM

im going to try this cake soon, my only fear is that i will eat half the cake if it comes out good!

Ruthxxx 12-28-2004 08:56 AM

Better not tempt yourself, then. I find that even artificial sweeteners sets off sugar cravings. :(

Country Charm 05-29-2005 09:48 PM

Did someone say CAKE on phase 1????????? OMG I have to try it. :) Thanks for sharing.

darlingchick 07-17-2005 08:49 PM

Ruth, you're so right! Though I would make this as cupcakes, with individual papers. I can handle portions if they're already divvied-up. I bet it would be great as a special occasion treat though. I'll try it eventually.

Anderooni 07-18-2005 12:19 PM

This is pretty good. However, I had a problem with my beans. There were jalapenos in the beans. It definately added a new dimension to the cake that I don't really want again. I'll have to look at different cans so I can get some without the hot stuff. :)