1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
    6 tablespoons salt
    3 cups ice
    1 sandwich sized ziploc bag
    1 gallon sized ziploc bag

In sandwich sized ziploc combine the sugar substitute, vanilla
    extract, and milk. Seal the bag and shake slightly to mix
    ingredients. In the gallon sized ziploc bag, add 3 cups of ice
    (or fill half the bag with ice) and add 6 tablespoons of table salt.
    Place the sealed sandwich sized bag into the gallon bag and seal
    the gallon bag. Shake the entire contents for at least 4 minutes
    (longer for harder ice cream). Once desired hardness has been achieved
    remove smaller bag and rinse thoroughly with cold water (if you miss
    this step you may wind up with salty ice cream)

This recipe makes about 1/2 cup of ice cream. Remember to count as a cup of skim milk.
  • Question
    I have a Cusinart ice cream maker. Can I use that instead of the ziploc bags?
  • Probably. Will it make a single serving? If not, adjust accordingly.
  • I used evaporated fat free milk. I had to shake a bit harder but it was YUMMY! Thanks for the recipe!
  • I know this may sound weird - but try substituting l/f or f/f buttermilk for the evaporated milk. It's surprisingly good-

sw/cw/gw
    149/137/135
  • I'm really not lazy....honestly, but I wanted to make this recipe without standing there shaking a bag for 4 minutes...so I put the bag in the dryer on air dry with a towel and it worked!!! I would suggest doubling both ziplocks and putting in more towels as I had to wipe the dryer out from a litle whole in the ice bag...but that was easy!! I'm really not lazy!!!
  • Ok I made this lastnight and used Blazens suggestion for the dryer Technique. Worked awesome. and tasted great! I know I will make this again soon. I bet you could add differnt flavoring too. Thanks!!
  • This looks great and I'd love to try it! Do you have any other nutritional info- especially calories on it? Thanks! Barb
  • Can you use normal skim milk, not the evaporated kind or will that ruin it?
  • This is a great idea...but can you use something lke the DaVince SF syrups for flavoring?
  • How much evap. milk is that. The recipe just says 1/2. How did everyone figure out how much to use? Is that cup, can, tbsp, tsp?? Thanks for the help!
  • Sorry. It should be a half cup of the evaporated milk. I'll edit the recipe.
  • Thanks for the quick response! I did it and it was great! I shared the recipe with another friend who is a carb counter and she was so excited she couldn't believe it. I did the dryer thing and it worked but I strongly recommend using good strong bags.
  • I think I'll try this with that concentrated liquid instant coffee, coffee ice cream is my fave.
  • Yummm, what about adding some cocoa powder, 1 tsp of instant coffee and some sliced toasted almonds??!! Jamoca almond fudge ice cream...yumm!!