Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 AM   #1  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Default South Beach Phase 1 puddings

Here are a few puddings I have come across that should be fine for Phase 1:

1. Chocolate avocado pudding

This would be ~2 servings. It's very rich, like a silky mousse. Probably this should be counted against your oil allotment for the day since 1/3 avocado = ~1 Tablespoon oil. This would be ~1.5 T oil, but such good oil . I wouldn't eat this every day, for sure, but it was a really nice treat!

In a blender mix:
  • 1 pitted and peeled *ripe* avocado (it doesn't matter if there are some darkened areas as the pudding is dark)
  • 3 heaping Tablespoons cocoa powder
  • Sweetener to taste - I used 3-4 Tablespoons Torani sugar-free vanilla syrup AND 1 packet PureVia brand stevia
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • Water as needed to make a creamy consistency - I used 1/4 cup, but if you use syrup to sweeten, be careful not to add too much water until it's sweet enough.
Blend well, ensuring that NO avocado pieces remain.

The texture of this is amazing, very silky. The flavor is a *little* odd, but I liked it! I have cheap cocoa powder, so it might be better with high-quality cocoa powder. Also, it really needs to be sweet to offset the slight bitterness of the avocado and chocolate. I froze it and it was really nice. My husband enjoyed it and said if I didn't tell there is no way he would guess avocado was in there. I'm going to play around with this one more

2. Vanilla Chia Pudding

I scaled the recipe down; this should be ~ 2 servings:
  • 1 cup almond milk (can used flavored, just make sure it's unsweetened)
  • 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
  • dash of salt, if desired
  • splash of vanilla extract
  • sweetener to taste (I used 1 packet PureVia brand stevia)
Blend together in a bowl, making sure all seeds are submerged. You'll want to make this a few hours before you want to eat it, even the day before if you are thinking ahead. If you are around, stir it periodically to break up any chia-gel clumps. It ends up a bit like tapioca pudding.

[This could probably be made with cow milk but I didn't see that anywhere so I can't vouch for that]

3. Chocolate Chia Pudding

Basically the same as above, but add 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder. Whisk the mixture until all the cocoa powder dissolves.

Different chia pudding recipes use different proportions of liquid:chia seeds, so play around with it if it's too thick/not thick enough.

Last edited by EmmaD; 09-21-2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: illiterate apparently...
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

The second two sound good, but I can't imagine chocolate avacodo.
I used the chia seeds with extra soft yogurt, some milk and flavorings-really jelly/pudding like.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

Found a similar recipe online for the chocolate avocado pudding and used unsweetened vanilla almond milk instead of water. very yummy! will try sf syrup next time for my sweetener too!

oh, and i stirred in some nat peanut butter. soooo good! probably too fatty, but very satisfying!
can't wait to be able to add some fresh berries in p2!

Last edited by asphyxia63; 01-12-2012 at 12:32 PM.
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote