Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #1  
210 / 193 / 140

Default Back on the Wagon

Hello, everyone. I'd like to re-introduce myself. I was a regular poster here at 3FC earlier this year. At that time, I was doing very well with my exercise and eating plan, but then I developped some foot problems that led to surgery in June. My foot still isn't back to normal, and I've slacked off on my fitness routines. I know I've regained some of the weight I lost, but I'm trying to get back into my healthy habits before I gain it all back (and then some).

To complicate things, I think I've slipped into a clinical depression in the last few weeks. I'm discouraged at living in a run-down fixer-upper, at not being able to find a decent job, and at the news that some in-laws I don't get along with are moving into the area. There are other stresses, too, that I simply don't have the energy to list. So I've asked my doctor to renew my prescription for Zoloft, which I took several years ago. She has only given me a three-week supply, because she insists that she won't presecribe meds without counseling. I have an appointment with the counselor she recommended, but I can't afford the co-pay on a weekly basis, and the counselor can't promise to see me every other week until she finds out how depressed I am. If she thinks I need weekly counseling, then that means I'll have to settle for NO counselling, or else find someone who can work with my budget.

All of this is getting me down. I'm willing to talk to a counselor, but I'm frustrated that I may not be able to afford it, which means I can't have the Zoloft either. I don't know if I have a question or if I'm just venting. I just feel discouraged, like the deck is stacked against me.
Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi and

I can understand why your doc wants counceling but your right it is very expensive if insurance doesn't help out. Did you tell your doctor you can't afford it? Maybe she/you can come to a happy medium?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #3  
210 / 193 / 140

Thanks for the welcome, Leenie.

My doctor knows that money is an issue. In fact, she said she'd call the counselor that very day to see if the counselor would take me at a reduced co-pay. Evidently she didn't follow through, though, because the counselor didn't offer to lower the fee when I said I could only afford every other week.

I'll go see her for the first appointment, and if she thinks I need weekly counseling, I'll try to find someone else. It's just frustrating that my doctor is making something that's beyond my means a condition of my getting the medicine that would help me.
Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

What about seeing another doctor? sounds like your's isn't listening I really understand that therapy plays an extremely important roll in depression but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. What about free group sessions like at your local church?

(((just trying to throw out some idea's here)))
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote