Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-27-2006, 04:20 PM   #1  

Default Confession - Never been naked!

On my drive to work this morning, I turned on radio to hear the topic of discussion "What would you do for a million dollars?"

A lady called in to the station and said she would "get naked in front of her husband" for a million dollars. The caller said, though she has been married for 15 years, she has never let her husband see her, standing, walking or otherwise, without her clothes on. The caller said she has never felt comfortable with her big stomach and hips and tried keep those parts of her body covered in front of her husband. The radio DJ’s where shocked and so was I! OMG!

The radio DJ's advised to women to seek counseling for her low self-esteem issues and told her it wasn't healthy for her to feel this way.

This has really bothered me today.

Last edited by Berlin; 01-15-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: missed word
Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

You aren't alone in this. I can remember my mom saying that during her 16 yr. marriage to my step-dad that she never let him see her naked. She was too ashamed of her body. At one point, she became very ill and lost from 210 down to 88 lbs. and still would hide her body.
Myself, I used to try to hide mine in baggy, long nightshirts. I was an "only at night and only with the lights off" type person. Not anymore.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Wow, I'm amazed. I don't think I've ever been like that in front of someone who I was intimate with. (not that there is a long list! I used to be too shy to be intimate) My DF kind of thinks I'm funny in how I walk around naked sometimes and even in front of open windows (hey we live on the 4th floor). To me, if you can't be naked in front of the one that loves you, who can you be? I think skin is beautiful, even when it is bumpy and full of "imperfections". Now I don't walk naked outside or nearly naked but I have no problem wearing a regular bathing suit when in a beachy/pool type location.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I have that exact problem now. It really frustrates DH. I even shut the door when I'm getting dressed in the morning just to make sure he won't see. I have to be honest, though. I didn't prance around naked in front of him when I was at a healthy --- really sexy (in his opinion) body. I was insecure then, too. I think it had more to do with vulnerability and closeness then. Now it's all about my body and how I feel about it. Even though he always tells me I'm still beautiful.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

I've never had that problem either, my boyfriend also gets freaked out when I walk in front of windows naked (we live in the 6th floor). But its funny, I am so nervous in public in a bathing suit...
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #6  

I used to get naked in front of DH, but since I've had the baby and still have all the stretch marks added to the nursing I don't anymore. He's going to be coming home in December and I hope to have lost enough to feel comfortable again.
SKermie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Everyone whom I've slept with has seen me naked. Most have also seen me walking around nude, sagging and jiggling as I go.

If you're willing to be so close with someone as to have married them, what are you afraid of?
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #8  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

My husband wishes I would put some clothes on. I am always parading around naked as a jaybird!

C'mon ladies....give your husbands some credit. They know what you are underneath the clothes and if they are still living in the same house (which they area), it does not bother them!! Free yourself!! Go naked tonight!! WooHoo!!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:29 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

We live in the country, and have NO neighbors who can see into our house, and not much of our yard. I walk around naked, or in various stages when I'm getting dressed/undressed, and sometimes out onto the deck (hot flashes are killers!) My DH laughs, but he doesn't complain.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:43 PM   #10  
Mel

Pat, you live in ALASKA! Put some clothes on outside!

I have to admit that I felt the same way when I was at my heaviest. Dh saw me naked, but I hated it. Now I walk around naked in our room all the time. Because I have 16 yr old son, the door stays closed, but otherwise I'd wander around in my underwear.

For me it was/is definitely a self-esteem issue. I still feel fat, but objectively the mirror tells me otherwise. I didn't want anyone to see me (including me) before.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #11  

Wow, this is something I totally don't understand.
Naked is fun! LOL
Seriously, I have no issues walking around my house naked (I'm sure there have been times the neighbors have seen, but OH WELL).
My husband has seen me naked and would probably think something was majorly wrong if I tried to cover up. We sleep naked... I love it. There is just something about skin to skin contact that makes me feel more of a connection to my husband (it isn't necessarily sexual - just comforting). Actually, we rarely even have sex in the dark or hiding under covers (unless its cold).
I don't have very good self-esteem, but I figure if my husband loves me with my clothes on, then he better love me with them off! If he couldn't stand the sight of a fat woman, then he shouldn't have married one.
I actually think that some of my attitude has to do with the fact that my husband always, in some form, reassures me that he believes I am beautiful; that he has never given me a disgusted look.
Now that I have lost so much weight and thinking of how much more I have to go, I am beginning to feel self conscious of what my body will look like and if he will still like it - and I'm sure its all because I have NO CLUE what my body will look like at goal.
Anyway, I'm not trying to be dense or offensive, but I truly don't understand not ever getting naked in front of one's significant other.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #12  
Jennifer

Honestly, I have sort of the flip side experience. When I was heavy, I didn't really mind walking around naked in front of my husband. But now that I've lost the weight and have more loose skin/sagginess issues than I expected, I feel much less comfortable naked than I used to be. I can still lose my inhibitions in "the throes," but overall... less comfortable. Sometimes I just look at my naked body now and think I look like a freak, when before I was just fat. Clothed, I feel like a super sexpot , but naked, that's another story.

Self-esteem issues are a doozy, aren't they?
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
The radio DJ's advised to women to seek counseling for her low self-esteem issues and told her it wasn't healthy for her to feel this way.
Am I the only person that is bothered by the fact that the DJ assumed the woman would have to have low self-esteem if she wasn't comfortable with her appearance? Like her appearance must be what defines her as a person? I think he needs counseling more than she does.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:30 AM   #14  

I don't think that the 'assumption' that someone has issues of one kind or another if they are uncomfortable with being naked with their husband is that unusual...me personally....wish I looked better naked...but like the rest of the way I live my life....what YOU see is what YOU get!

IMHO

Liz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Pat, walking outside! that's funny! I'm not that brave even in the middle of nowhere.

Sex in the dark? I've never actually done that. I told my DF it'd be interesting to try once, he wasn't really having it. (I'm glad he doesn't read these boards) I'm kind of funny because I was very shy and naive for quite a few years. I wouldn't let guys I dated get too far. Anyway, for a long time I thought people had sex under the covers because that is what I saw on TV! Little did I know that wasn't reality. I think we've done it once because we were cold.

So I thought about this thread last night because I was talking to my DF about maybe getting a tummy tuck (or more) after I lose more weight. He said it'd be up to me but he doesn't think I'd need one. I told him I already had sagging skin and he said he doesn't see it. So I show him my under arms, he said "that is only a little bit", then I showed him my belly and he said "that is only a little bit", then I showed him my inner thigh and he said the same thing. I feel comfortable enough showing him my physical flaws but he doesn't see them as flaws
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote