Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-29-2006, 06:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/176.6/155

Height: 5'9"

Default greif and loss issues associated with weight loss

I have noticed a little bit of this sentiment on the forums, so I wanted to get some perspectives from you guys. My self-esteem has always fluctuated, but I eventually elarned to accept myself for who I am and even see myself as attractive, regardless of weight. When I started going to weight watcher's in february, I was 216 and was pretty happy with the way I looked, but not happy about my pants size or my health risks. At about 195, I looked more or less like "me" only with less face fat, and I really liked that. When I started going below 195, I started looking in the mirror going "who the **** is that?" I didn't know what to think of what I saw in the reflection and I definitely noticed that less weight meant looking very different when I moved (i have danced for 25 years now, so I'm used to looking at myself in the mirror while moving). This was also the point where I was losing clothes faster than I could replace them. I don't know about you, but I love my clothes, and i was having a difficult time giving them up. I am glad that I gave away my clothes as soon as I "undergrew" them because there are several times where I probably would have quit the diet if I knew I'd have big clothes to fit me. I still struggle with this regularly.

To summarize: I know what I'm doing is healthy for me physicially, but emtionally i feel like i've lost alot of positive things and gained only compliments from other people (although that's getting better).
I get the inkling from some of the posts on the forums that I am not the only person who feels this way.

I am a social worker, and after learning what I did about weight loss, I wanted to share it with my co-workers because we often help our clients with weight loss issues as the medecines they are on cause weight gain. I talked to my boss about doing a training on weight loss issues and she said that she would like to see an outline before making any decisions.
I haven't turned the outline in yet and the reason is that I am trying to make sure I have as much info as I can and that I do a good training. If I am going to tell my co-workers about issues with weight loss and how to help our clients handle them, I think that I should make sure that I am not just getting up there and speaking about my experiences. My experiences are important but the experiences of one person cannot be the basis for therapeutic interventions.
So, I would like to know if any of you guys went through these types of issues, and, if you did, what was helpful while you were going through this. Also, did your friends and family try to help you through these times, and if they did, what did they do and was it helpful? Also, Based on what you experienced what do you think would be helpful that you or other didn't try?
vo0do0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:50 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Sorry but my experience is this. I don't think that I had any problems with grieving for my old face or my old clothes. The loose skin was my biggest worry, but I felt the weight loss was so beneficial for my health, that this was almost a non-issue. My DH and children were greatly supportive. One sister has been non-supportive. I do think there was a couple times that I grieved for food and the way it used to be. Where I could eat whatever I wanted. The only thing I did during these times was reviewed my journal and my list of reasons for losing weight. This was enough to get me back on track.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #3  
Weight-Loss Warrior

S/C/G: 195/188.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Loss issues... I can relate. I went from 244 to 167. I left a bad relationship and started dating again. I had gotten used to friends, family, coworkers, etc. commenting on my weight-loss but I didn't know how to deal with all the attention from the opposite sex all the sudden. I had to buy a new outfit every time I had a date or somewhere nice to go. What do "normal" people wear? I used to always where big baggy clothes at my heaviest, now I had to try to figure out who I was as a "thin" person. Hiding as a "fat" person had been easy, I had to relearn how to live life. I met my now current boyfriend and he referred to me being slim... who me slim?!?!?!?! How did I deal with it... apparantly what I did didn't work because I'm back again trying to lose weight again after gaining almost 30 lbs. back. I could definately use a how to be thin course. If you learn how please share, cause I'm going to need the info agan when I get back down to slim Liz.
Liz-z78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/176.6/155

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
met my now current boyfriend and he referred to me being slim... who me slim?!?!?!?! How did I deal with it... apparantly what I did didn't work because I'm back again trying to lose weight again after gaining almost 30 lbs. back. I could definately use a how to be thin course. If you learn how please share, cause I'm going to need the info agan when I get back down to slim Liz.
i know how you feel. I wish there were a set of easy "here's how you deal with being a different person" instructions, but there's not. I personally think the key is good support who understands how you feel, or who is very good at being empathetic (as much as we love them, friends and boyfriends sometimes are not).
vo0do0 is offline   Reply With Quote