Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-22-2006, 11:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/350/200

Height: 5'9

Default Depression and Grief

I've always been a "bigger" gal. Then again, I've always carried my weight very well. However, since my father died last August... My weight is really starting to weigh me down, literally.

My ongoing battle with depression started around the age of 7. I was a victim of child abuse. I really don't know what it's like to live w/ out being depressed. However, over the last few months.. I am breaking free from the bondage of depression. I tried medication, and had tremendous side effects. I am so glad that I found a faith based way to overcome depression.

The problem is that now, I have to deal with the fall-out of years of depression. I want to lose at least a hundred pounds. I want to do this for my health. My father passed away suddenly of a massive heart attack. He was only 49 years old. I know that I need to make changes in my diet, and way of life... or I could pass away at a yound age. I've started exercising daily, and watching my diet.
justcallmeprissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/215/145

Height: 5'6

Prissi
I am 27 and lost my father suddenly in a car accident in 2004. Feel good about the fact that you are trying to make a change for yourself. Sometimes the depression can be battled with drugs but sometimes you have to just continue through. I remember choosing to make the hard chose to stay in college when my father died and thinking "I can't do this". I had some of the most rememorable breakthroughs by pushing through the depression. I had panic attacks and I would cry in between classes. I thought "I can't live with this". One day when the panic attack came on I just accepted it. I thought even though I am consciously choosing to not change what I do on the outside doesn't mean that my body doesn't still have to deal with my emotions. I believe that are bodies do what they can to "repair" even when we "continue" on. When I chose to accept what my body needed to do the panic attacks went away shortly thereafter. I can't speak for you, but sometimes I see things like depression as my bodies way of dealing with something that I am unaware or unwilling to face. Accepting the way your body responds instead of judging it or battling it might be a way of dealing with it too. I hope that you find your way.
anirtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:19 AM   #3  

Welcome!

I am glad you found us. Join us on the daily thread...this is a supportive place.

Sorry for the loss of your fathers and the pain that brings.

Liz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

JMCP, its great you found us.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine too when I was 20 years old.

I'm really glad to hear that you want to take control of your health, thats just awesome!!!

We are here for you, and like Liz said, come join us on the daily/weekly (depending how busy we get lol) thread. Hugs and Kisses
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 350/350/200

Height: 5'9

Thank you so much for the replies! Your comments have been such an encouragement!
justcallmeprissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #6  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Hi Prissi

Just wanted to say hello and welcome!

Sorry to hear about the bad times you've had and with your father passing.

Join us in the 300 and ready to try again club! I'm pretty new here too but so far doing pretty well, I know you can too!

~ Angie
Abbeycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I am glad to see you here. I am sorry about your dad, but I am sure you will make it through this. I am also glad to see you taking responsibility for your weight.
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:46 AM   #8  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Hello & Prissy!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. Yesterday (Sunday) was the anniversary of my step father's death. He died of cancer 3 yrs ago.

I too have battled with depression most of my life. Its a long, windy, bumpy road. But just know that your not alone.

Feel free to join us over in the Jaded Ladies and in the Misc. Group - Back to Kindergarden Thread, a lot of wonderful ladies there as well!

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote