Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-16-2006, 11:29 PM   #1  

Red face Can you lose weight on meds?

Hello Everyone

I have slowly taken myself off antidepressants and want to lose weight, I was told the most person can only loose being on meds is about 10 pounds,
I know there are vitamins to take to give you some energy, I know there is a web site to give that information, does anyone know the web site? Thanks to anyone with any information.
Peg2261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Antidepressants can affect appetite both ways, and some have more of an effect than others. My husband lost about 15 lbs on Cymbalta when he first started taking it, because he said food didn't taste the same, and although he did get his appetite back, he hasn't gained back the weight he lost. I've lost about 50 lbs while on the antidepressant lexapro (I'm taking it for my fibromyalgia, though it's a lower dose than is usually used for depression - so I don't know if it would be harder to lose on a higher dose).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I have gained 60lbs and lost 109lbs all on the same med. Mostly weight loss has more to do with what you are eating and how much you are exercising more than what medicine you are taking.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #4  
Lovin' being Vegan

S/C/G: 168/153/135

i am on paxil and i have lost 10 lbs so far. it hasnt up'ed my appetite at all
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Yes, it is possible to lose weight while taking certain meds (unless there are other issues involved). Please talk to your doctor about the side effects of your meds.

Good luck
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:49 AM   #6  
Gypsy Goddess

S/C/G: 209\144\113

Height: 5'7

I think the website you are looking for is..
http://www.prozactruth.com/weight.htm
Nirvanagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I lost 10 pounds when I first started taking paxil. I've lost and gained the same 15 pounds while taking 3 different other medications. As someone else said, it's not the meds it's the food.

I hope you are following directions of a doc in getting off the meds. I've considered myself "cured" a number of times only to suffer the consequences a few weeks later. Not a pretty thing. I know now not to kid myself.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Me too. I've lost on Paxil. I've tried to take myself off a couple of times and it's not good. It's taken about three years for me to learn that if I have an actual chemical imbalance that fools with my emotional well-being, I need to take meds to keep me well.
I don't really know if they make weight loss faster or slower. What I do know is that when I'm on them I feel good enough to exercise, I get around to it, plan effectively and trust my own judgement about foods and nutrition.

We're not talking about taking an 'upper' to make us feel better through a difficult time here. We're talking about correcting faulty synaptic function. If your thyroid makes too much thyroid hormone, you take meds to balance that, right? So, if your body sucks away all your seratonin ... you take meds to balance that. If that is the problem, you need to take your meds. And there are enough different kinds that you do not have to stay on one that doesn't work right.
You need to talk to a doctor about either coming off or going on them.

Phew! I guess I feel strongly about that.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Susan I completely argree with you. This is a medical condition it is not something to play around with. When I was dating my DH and was worried about telling him, all he said to me is that if I was diabetic I would need to take insulin for the rest of my life so what is the difference. You would not ignore your body if there was something wrong with it so why ignore your mind when there is something wrong with it.
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Height: 5'2"

Over a 5 year span, I probably gained 50 lbs on antidepressants (Celexa and Trazodone) Now on those same meds, with watching my diet and exercising, I have lost 28 lbs. You can lose if you set your mind to it.
exquisitern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 232 just getting started on it

I Have Lost Weight Recently With Cymbalta. I Had To Make Myself Eat At Least Once A Day. Now I Am On Efexor And I Am Getting My Appetitte Back But I Am Still Losing Just Not As Fast. But All In All You Have To Make Sure You Stick To Your Guns With The Exercize And Portion Control. I Have Made The Mistake In The Past Of Just Thinking The Meds Would Fix My Weight, Boy Was I Wrong. I Am More Or Less Just Watching My Portions, Trying To Stay Away From The Junk Food, Eating 3 Meals A Day And Two Snacks, And Stop When I Feel Full. I Am Not Exercizing As Much As I Should But I Try To Stay Busy With House And Yard Work.
not2fat2bpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:30 AM   #12  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

so true... it is what you put in your mouth and how much you exercise!
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:07 PM   #13  

It is entirely possible. Everyone reacts differently to medications. You may not have found the best one for you.

talk to your doctor.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 88.3/82.30/70 kilos

Height: 160cm

I have the same problem, I take Lithium and Lexapro and find losing weight difficult. But I figure, I am more likely to lose weight by eating good foods, portion control and exercise, rather than using the meds as an excuse. I've lost nearly 4 kilos in 2.5 weeks on sureslim.
ms.cate is offline   Reply With Quote