Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #1  
RN

Smile Lexapro

Hi All,

I started on Lexapro just over a week ago, and already seem to feel better. I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, and have had only a few anxiety attacks since starting. Normally, it takes longer to reach a therapeutic level, and was wondering if anyone else has experienced quick results? Also, I've really had no side effects so far. What are all of you experiencing? I am terrified of weight gain.

Have a great weekend!
flowerbunnylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 232 just getting started on it

I am also diagnosed with anxiety and depression. I have never taken Lexapro. Is it a stimulant? I haven't taken anything in over two years just trying to control it on my own but lately I have had the startings of panic attacks again and I know I need to get back on something. I was on Zoloft but it makes me too out of it. And I am also terrified of the weight gain with getting back on the meds. Let me know how it works for you? I go to the Dr. on June 20th and I know I have to ask her for something and I want to make sure it will not make me gain wieght.
not2fat2bpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:12 PM   #3  
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2fat2bpretty
I am also diagnosed with anxiety and depression. I have never taken Lexapro. Is it a stimulant? I haven't taken anything in over two years just trying to control it on my own but lately I have had the startings of panic attacks again and I know I need to get back on something. I was on Zoloft but it makes me too out of it. And I am also terrified of the weight gain with getting back on the meds. Let me know how it works for you? I go to the Dr. on June 20th and I know I have to ask her for something and I want to make sure it will not make me gain wieght.
So far the Lexapro has helped some, but it's still too soon to tell long term. It's used for depression and anxiety, so I'm hoping it's a good choice for me. Most antidepressants run the risk of causing weight gain. Wellbutrin seems like the best med to take to avoid weight gain, and I may add that one if needed. People act differently to meds, so sometimes it's trial and error.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:56 PM   #4  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

I'm on Lexapro - 30mg each day. I also take Klonopin for my anxiety at bedtime. Not sure if it caused weight gain or not, I think any weight gain I had was because of the other things I was putting in my mouth, not my medicine! Also, at that point it didn't matter to me. I was in bad shape psychologically and needed something to help me just live.
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:23 PM   #5  
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJsPrincess816
I'm on Lexapro - 30mg each day. I also take Klonopin for my anxiety at bedtime. Not sure if it caused weight gain or not, I think any weight gain I had was because of the other things I was putting in my mouth, not my medicine! Also, at that point it didn't matter to me. I was in bad shape psychologically and needed something to help me just live.
That's kind of where I'm at - I'm terrified of the weight gain because of diabetes, but I HAVE to do something about my psych status.

I'm just starting out - at 10mg for now. I have been eating more, but I have PMS too. So, I'm not sure if it's the PMS or the med...
Old 05-30-2006, 06:52 PM   #6  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

I'm on lexapro and wellbutrin. I have an anxiety disorder ( GAD) with panick attacks and depression. I was zoloft alone, and it did wonders but it stopped working and I was tired all the time. My doctor added the wellbutrin, which added anxiety at first but that went away. After some time the meds stopped working and I became very depressed. He started me on lexapro and added another wellbutrin pill in the afternoon. I am feeling better but feel sorta of it. Meds always act fast on me before the therapeutic time of 4-6 weeks.
My weight has gone up and done on meds. Usually when I'm most depressed and panicky I lose as I lose my appetite.
good luck
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 232 just getting started on it

I know what you mean about trial and error! I started taking meds over 5 years ago and about 2 1/2 years ago I stopped. I learned to control alot of my anxiety, but I think now things are just getting so overwhelming that I need to be back on something. I have taken Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Zanax, Prozac, Paxil, and Effexor (I think that is what it's called). It seems like the Zoloft does well for my energy and my state of mind, but does cause me to be a little out of it at times. And I do best with taking the Zanax just when I have Panic Attacks. But the Dr. has a hard time letting me have those due to the fact that so many peole abuse that drug. I have a new Dr. now so who knows what I will be a guinie pig to now?
not2fat2bpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:05 PM   #8  
RN

I continue to have periods of anxiety - today happens to be one of those days. I'm following up with my Psychiatrist this afternoon, so I'm going to mention this to him. Hopefully he can do something.

I've seen plenty of patients who are addicted to, or were addicted to, Xanax. I've been told that nothing is as addictive as it. Scary, IMHO.

How is counselling? I'm looking at doing that when I'm more stable, and was just curious about what it's like.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:54 PM   #9  

I've been on Lex for almost 2 weeks. I feel a lot better already. Not solely focused on my IF (infertility). Only cried a couple times and that was due to muscle spasms in my back not emotional issues. I realize I have a long way to go to see how lex works for me but so far so good.

Renee
reneed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 228/215/160

Height: 5 ft 5

My doctor totally wouldn't put me on Wellbutrin, because of my anxiety, she said it isn't a good idea, it can make it worse.
campbellredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 228/215/160

Height: 5 ft 5

so Princess,
how long have you been on the lexapro???

I've been on Effexor for a long time, doc tried topamax, but it made my anxiety worse, and right now we are trying Lamictal, but i'm getting headaches and nausea. The effexor alone isn't helping-i'm at 150mg, we tried to up it, but that made anxiety worse, i guess right now trying to find something to add to effexor that will help.

I get depressed, but my prob is majorly anxiety
campbellredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

I have been on Lexapro for several months for anxiety. Only a low dosage of 10 mg per day. I also take a low dose of Xanax when I have those really tough days. I found that the Lexapro actually assisted in my weight lose because I wasn't emotionally eating.

Just remember all drugs are different for everyone and if you begin gaining weight or losing to drastically you should talk to your physician.
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #13  
RN

I went to see my Psych yesterday, and so far so good. He says I'm having good results in a short period of time, so we're just going to stick with what we're doing. If the anxiety doesn't continue to decrease, we'll add something else - probably Wellbutrin.

I put on a pair of pants yesterday that I bought years ago but they never fit. They were too big! And I'm not even dieting! I hope things don't go the opposite direction, in that area.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #14  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

Good luck flower, keep us posted. My doc added the wellbutrin after I was afraid to try it, I already had terrible anxiety and didn't want to add more. I did feel anxious at first but that went away, I have energy but a good energy. Wellbutrin also helps with appetite.. we shall see...
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #15  

I've been on Lexapro for about a year now. It works ok for me. I am still slightly depressed. I find it does help some with anxiety also.

I was on prozac and ended up getting hepatitis (unrelated) I ended up getting a build up of prozac in my system when led to horrible anxiety attacks. I was put on Klonopin which I weaned myself off of over a few month period.

I also took Xanax about 5 years ago and had a terrible time getting off of it. I would recomend staying away from it if you can.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote