Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-10-2006, 01:16 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

JtJoray, easiest way (I'd think?) would be to tell him some of the symptoms you have. Depending on your GP, I don't know if I'd trust one with the diagnosis. Is there any way that you can see a therapist about it? I pretty much dx'd myself and he agreed with me, right down the line.

I got the dx about 2 yrs ago, but suspected it for years. I'm more depressed normally...but BOY when mania hits it hits HARD. I'm surprised my hubby hasn't divorced me and believe me he has waaaaaay too many grounds for it...lol.

I was on the med go round for awhile, but hopped off quite quickly. I still have a stash of Seroquel for sleep, and Zyprexa (yuck) for when that runs out.

The diet/exercise change definately pulled me out of a deep depression during this last month, and I'm really hoping that it will all even out for good!

Good to know that we have our own lil group...lol.
Kim
OneKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 236/230/140

I'm bipolar. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago. I have extreme mood swings when I'm not on the right medication. I started Lamictal and Abilify about 3 months ago and am loving it. They work awesome. I usually go through manic episodes in the summer and depression in the fall and spring. There was a time I got so bad I thought I could fly and I was seeing things. Then, the dr. diagnosed me with Bipolar with psychosis. When my manic eposides or depression gets severe enough, I get grandiose thinking and hallucinations. I haven't experienced any of this on the new meds though. If you need anything, give me a holler. I'll be there for you!
buckneram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #18  
Rose

I'm new here AND bipolar. Was dx'd 4 yrs ago, been on all kinds of meds and gained a whopping 70 lbs because of them. I've been fighting since Nov. 2005 to lose it and have so far managed to lose over a stone. I've been trying to do WW from home alone, but a buddy would sure be nice.
nospringchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #19  

I am bipolar as well. Have gained weight due to seroquel and depakote. Am now counting calories and working with a nutritionist. I would LOVE a bipolar buddy. Feel free to PM me!
Meigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 PM   #20  

I am bipolar - diagnosed 23 years ago. I am also the mother of a bipolar teenager who was diagnosed eight years ago. Life is fun. Not.
CJ :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:19 AM   #21  

Good to see I'm not alone. Well, not good...but ya know :/

My mania seems to come in the fall/winter times. Although, I'm pretty sure I was manic ALL SUMMER AND FALL and half of winter this year! I just...flipped. No hallucinations or anything, but I was a totally different persons...really did some damage to my marriage!

I'm not on meds right now, but I'm hoping diet/exercise will really help with leveling me off!

Don't plan on going on meds really, unless I get depressed again...that's the one thing I don't think I can deal with again.

Kim
Old 06-06-2006, 08:16 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 232 just getting started on it

I have never been diagnosed with Bi polar but I have a history of it in my family. My sister is the worst case scenerio. I have depression sometimes. But the worst thing I deal with is anxiety and panic attacks. I know that this probably stems from my family history but I don't think that I am BIPOLAR. My mother likes to label me with that constantly though. She seems to think that everyone in our family has it just because a few of my siblings do. Honestly I think that Drs. sometimes tend to just lable people BiPolar before they really study the person. It's very hard to except that you have a disorder and that you are in constant worry that people will judge you for it. I know that I would question my own sanity and wonder if everyone around me saw mw the same as my Mom, but I was reasurred by friends, my hubby, and my DR. that I was just having anxiety. It's hard to a sain person in this crazy world!!! This has been nice to be able to talk about weight and depression with other people that don't judge. I am so glad that I found this site!
not2fat2bpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #23  

not2fat, I doubt my diagnosis at times...or maybe it's just at my more 'sane' times? Eh, who knows? There's so many things that can be wrong...it's really hard to label it, you're right! I don't think it's a matter of finding a label that we need to worry about, it's finding the right medication/therapy/other changes that can help us. We're all an experiment of one!

I have schizophrenia (sp?) in my family...paternal uncle for sure. I suspect that my dad was bipolar, and that at least one of my 3 brothers is. My 3 sisters...ah...not so sure. One is so sane that it's maddening. No telling what else lurks in my background!

I agree it helps to talk. Especially with other women! Men just don't understand our issues. Have you seen that commercial (don't remember the product...a hair dye I think) that talks about mom's feeling invisible? My husband asked me if I ever felt like that, I said ALL THE TIME and he just couldn't understand how that was possible!

Not saying that men don't have their own issues....just that we don't understand theirs and they don't understand ours!

Hope everyone is feeling well!

Kim
Old 06-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #24  

That is true! It was hard for my husband to understand my problems, but I think now he has learned not to take anything I say or do personal when I am anxious. He is really great about making sure I know he supports me. But yes is hard for them to understand the pressures of mother, wife, housekeeper, and all the other hats we wear throughout the day and never just knowing who "WE" are anymore. My great grandmother was schizophrenic and killed herself. I just found that out last year. Alot of the problems in our family with mental dissorders has been swept under the rug trying to hide it. But it's important for us "this generation" to know our history so we can be properly diagnossed. Speaking of commercials: the one about zoloft with the little cartoon ball! That is SOOOO me! LOL It's funny how it takes it being put in front of your face (on TV) like that for you to admitt how you are feeling. I wish so much that I could just stop feeling like this and be active and stop being so lazy. But this affects me so much physically that it's hard to be motivated somedays.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #25  

I don't know the Zoloft commercial. I've probably seen it, but I hardly really pay attention to the TV, but love the noise of it! Can't stand QUIET. I think it's cause if it's quiet then I can hear my thoughts better...lol.

My hubby sorta doesn't mention the stuff, unless I'm acting off (ie saying 'you don't love me' and all that stuff) he'll ask if I'm having a 'manic episode'. Maybe, maybe not....maybe I just feel like you don't love me and I need some assurance...I am female ya know. LOL.

I know all about the motivation thing. I've sat and stared at my elliptical machine for 2 yrs thinking, it's so easy! Why don't I just get on and do it? For at least a few minutes? I KNOW I'll feel better if I do it. Why can't we JUST DO IT??? That's what I've been having to do lately. I'm tired, I'm grouchy, I'm annoyed because I'm not losing weight...any number of things!

It's amazing how something so small can make us feel so tired when we're depressed, huh? I've just loaded dishes into the dishwasher, wiped down the counters and table and I'd be just plain give out! Hubby doesn't understand this...thinks it's just pure laziness. Grrrr I wish he could be in my body for just a few minutes to see! I wish I was as strong and fit and stable as he is!

/end rant. LOL.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Kim
Old 06-06-2006, 10:59 AM   #26  

NO Kidding! I wish I had the stamina my hubby has at work! But you know he is lazy at home too! LOL Three times this morning I have said I'm gonna get the kitchen clean and it has yet to be done so your one up on me today LOL. I guess, well I know I am lucky to have a hubby who is understanding though. It took him getting layed off from work last year to understand how it feels to have "No Life". At first the he cleaned and did everything and then it slowly faded into once a week he would run the dishwasher. He knows now how easy it can get you into a slump. But he still doeasn't have a clue about the panic attacks. I feel like someone pushed my ***** button when they come on. And everyone needs to watch out!!! I have learned to control some of it but sometimes it's such an intense feeling that you can't stop yourself.
I know about feeeling tired doing so little. Because of my weight I get pain in my low back just from mopping or vaccuming. It HURTS!! But I know deep down that if I just keep going it will stop hurting when the weight is gone. But getting there is so hard. I am so passionate about alot of things but just not myself.
I promised myself that I wouldn't come on here and be a cry baby but I do have to say it was nice to get stuff out and have people who are having similar feelings.
And now on that note I am going to get my lazy butt up and do that kitchen LOL!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:35 AM   #27  

Hope you got that kitchen clean! A clean house makes me feel so great, but I hate cleaning it! That's what I have kids for some days...lol. Kidding, but it does help that they're old enough now to clean up after themselves, and load the dishwasher on the nights that neither of us adults feel like doing it.

Usually I cook and hubby does the dishes. I have eczema and my hands break out if I have them in the soapy water and stuff alot. Detergents absolutely kill me! So, I get out of doing almost any cleaning with chemicals...lol. Didn't used to be like that though...hubby has changed alot! Everything used to be on me, now it's more on him...I think depression has had alot to do with that. No, I know it has. I get to where I can hardly move and well, someone's gotta do it!

I know what you mean about being passionate about alot of things, but not yourself. I've been wondering lately why I'm doing all of this.

Hey, I hope it makes you feel better to talk! NO reason to worry about coming on here and crying, we're women...we're allowed, even expected to...lol. It's free therapy for us! I'm always up for listening!

Kim
Old 06-07-2006, 10:15 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Hi. I've been taking meds for depression since 1995, I was diagnoised as bipolar but didn't get the real help I needed for it until recently after the birth of my third son. With the help of my doctor I tried going off of my antidepressants. I had been on them for so long and I wasn't feeling any better, I just wanted to see if I could function without them. BIG MISTAKE! It was a miserable two months but now I am back on Lamictal and Lexapro. I feel better, not perfect, not that "Normal" feeling I crave yet, but we are still working on doses.

I know a MAJOR part of my MAJOR weight gain over the past 6 years has been due to depression, compulsive eating...just rewarding myself for making it through the day with food! Its gotta stop and I am HOPING this time it will.

I am glad to have met all of you. It will be nice to have some people to talk to that know I am not crazy!
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:18 AM   #29  

Yes I did get that kitchen cleaned and a few other things too. It felt good to get things done. My kids actually helped too and that was wonderful. They wanted to go swimming so they were kissing my butt LOL but that's ok my house is CLEAN!! I guess we all need something to motivate us, even the kids. Trying so hard to stay eating right this week, but my anxiety has been really bad and I haven't been eating much and that's not good for me either. I'm count down the days untill the 20th when I go to the Doctor. Teh only thing that keeps me sain is my neighbor is my BF and ou rkids keep eachother busy and we keep eachother busy. Keep my mind off of things for awhile at least.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Thank-you everyone!

It is so reassuring to see that I am not the only person who was diagnosed with & treated for depression for a number of years (6 for me - although it started well before that) & then with bipolar. Although I haven't received the actual diagnosis yet - I am so very sure that is where we are going. The reading I have been doing just describes me too well.

Thank-you!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote