3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   ? Anxiety Attacks ~ Panic Attacks ~ Depression ? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/80895-anxiety-attacks-%7E-panic-attacks-%7E-depression.html)

TMunday 04-07-2006 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz321
I want that baby!!!!!!!!!!

L

I don't understand what your talking about here???

TMunday 04-07-2006 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
EXACTLY!!!!!!

And my doctor willingly ran some extra tests that I wanted even though she had not planned to do so. A good doctor will see you through and help you to feel confident things are right.

I did not realize about this till I read everything. And I didn't know there was more then one test for this. I am sorry if I was short in my reply to your first message about this. I really had no idea.

But, I am going to request tons of testing for this and everything else they can do for any and all issues of all of this. Something needs to get done here before it ends up worse. I am hoping to find a counselor as well! Hopefully I will make some progress here and get things rolling quickly. :)

Misti in Seattle 04-07-2006 08:15 AM

That's great, Tracy! I have found that the medical profession here in the US is waaaaaay behind on diagnosis and treatment of thyroid problems! OTOH I also found the Internet is full of gloom and doom stuff too so be cautious of that as it can weigh you down. But I have been amazed at the difference once mine was diagnosed and taken care of! One doctor said it had probably been affecting me for years... but it took a huge tumor on the side of my neck before I knew about the problem!

aphil 04-07-2006 09:27 AM

Well, not to be argumentative at all...but keep in mind that it is probably *more* likely that it is an anxiety disorder, rather than thyroid issues.

Thyroid conditions are definitely there in some people-but most people who go in for thyroid testing, don't actually have problems. Thyroid symptoms are often the same as other ailments. Hair loss, for instance, is a symptom of a thyroid condition-but it is also a symptom of stress, or a hormonal change, such as after giving birth.

cathyxxx 04-07-2006 09:59 AM

Aphil - I do not find your post argumentative at all. Actually I love discussing this stuff.

The point I'm making is that a lot of people are finding that their "anxiety disorder" actually is caused by a thyroid problem. I don't think a lot of people realize that a thyroid problem can cause anxiety. I think maybe some have heard that hyperthyroidism may cause some anxiety, but I am running into people left and right that are finding they actually have a thyroid problem, once they have the correct thyroid tests run - not just the TSH which can be very unreliable.

My son had terrible anxiety. Once his thyroid problem was found he was started on Armour Thyroid and it took him getting up to 4 grains (240 mgs) before we noticed much improvement. He now takes 5 grains (300 mgs) daily and is doing really well. The difference in him, in his anxiety, etc. is almost unbelieveable - actually I don't think I could believe it unless I was seeing this with my own eyes. Both his doc and counselor agreed that his thyroid problem was contributing to his anxiety, but it was so bad that neither felt he would be able to get off the psych meds and simply take a T4/T3 thyroid med - they had never seen anyone so severe be able to get by with only the thyroid med. Well they are both now pleasantly surprised and amazed at how well he is doing on just the Armour Thyroid!!!!!

I have 2 file boxes full of info on thyroid problems and psychiatric problems as it has become my hobby/passion ;) and I could share all sorts of info and articles, but let me just share this recent one posted at bellaonline.com by a wife & husband that found his anxiety was caused by his thyroid problem (just as my son's was and many many others).

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art41515.asp
Anxiety and Depression Symptoms in Thyroid Disease

The message that I am trying to get out is that everyone presenting with any sort of psychiatric problem should first have their thyroid tested, by running the correct tests, to at least make sure that they don't have a thyroid problem causing their mental problems.

I was told for 20 years that my thyroid was "fine" even tho I had many physical symptoms - but the dang TSH would not catch the problem. Thankfully now my son's doc is also treating me and I am also taking 5 grains of Armour and feel that I have my life back!

I'm just trying to share a little of info that I have found. This info could have saved us years of suffering and challenges.

hugs,
Cathy

TMunday 04-07-2006 02:27 PM

What a day! All I want to do is curl up under a rock and sleep the rest of the day away. If it is not one thing, it sure is another! :(

My mom wants me to make an appointment with the lady she chose. I kept telling her I didn't care for that lady! She didn't want to listen to me. So she had that ladies office call me this morning to make an appointment!!!! I told them I was not interested and hung up the phone. I have spoke with that lady on the phone before... she is worse then your average air head. I did not feel like dealing with her.

Well then my mom called!! Of course I didn't answer the phone! She called twice within 30 minutes!!! I didn't answer either call. Shortly I called her back though! All she cared about was if I made the appointment and then all she cared about was complaining at me for not making the appointment! Then she said to call the other place and make an appointment.... now!!!

This has been a very long and very stressful day! I am ready to tell her off already! I did make some phone calls today though!! No one takes my aid card. So I am going to have to do some searching to find something. This is going to take time.

I am thinking about writing an email (I can't do this over the phone or in person) to my mom and telling her to forget it! I am not interested in counseling, going to visit her in Arkensas when she moves, or my kids going there, or anything else. I would love to tell her to control her own life and leave me alone!!! But if I did that it would be world war 3!!!

I so don't know what I should do. Not answering the phone seems like the way to handle this with the least amount of stress. I don't know though. People are so pushy I swear!!

I think I am going to end up talking with my regular doctor and finding out what resources he knows of that could help me. He should know something for both medicine and counseling. We will see.

I hope you all are having better days. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Marciet 04-07-2006 02:37 PM

Tracy-I did get your pm. I'll email you today. We seem to have so much in common!

Misty-I see you are in Seattle. Hey, neighbor, I'm in Marysville!

Marciet 04-07-2006 02:47 PM

Tracy-Wow. I didn't see your post until just now. Um, how old are you again? Your mom REALLY needs a reality check. Sounds like she forgot that you grew up. I would totally recommend writing a letter. On paper. That way you can hang on to it until you decide whether or not to send it. I just did this with my mom, and I'm still on the fence about whether or not to mail it. Like you said, it would cause some serious fallout. But it really did help to get my thoughts in order, and get it down on paper. And who knows, maybe I will actually get the guts to send it.

Your mom is way out of line. Having the office call you, and giving you orders. I think if you don't say something, it will just continue. This coming from someone who has yet to tell her own mom to back off!! Maybe we can work on this together. The thought of confronting my mom scares the sh*t out of me.

Visiting your doc is a good idea. They often have access to resources that we don't. At least he may be able to point you in the right direction.

myluv4logan 04-07-2006 04:09 PM

hope this helps you

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMunday
Marcie -

Boy did you ever hit the nail right on the head!! Your right! It is either my parent's way or its the highway. They have money and I don't... and yes, they use that against me often. But I do feel I will regret this big time if I follow through with this agreement. I think it will eat me alive until I completely lose it. So I think I am going to do some research. There has to be some counselor out there somewhere that accepts the state card!!! Even if it is a needle in a hay stack, I am bound and determined, I will find them! If not... like you said, there has to be someone out there that will work with me and take reduced fees or something. I will find some kind of help some how. :) I didn't even think of trying this! I am so glad you mentioned it! Thanks a million!! Did you get my PM? :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think I am on my way to a clearer mind. Grant it, it will take time, patients, and lots of hard work. But each step is a step in the right direction. Even if I take one step back I have to get up and keep going forward.

Thanks so much. I do feel better since I started posting this here on the boards.

Hi TracyI think I may have the solution that you are looking for , I suffer from anixity and panic attacks myself. You said you were looking for a place that accepts the state card or will do payments. I know of a place in Lasalle IL that I highly recomend pm me and I will send you the info

Misti in Seattle 04-07-2006 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marciet
Misty-I see you are in Seattle. Hey, neighbor, I'm in Marysville!

Hey, hi there neighbor! Actually I am close to Mill Creek so we are even closer than you know!!! :carrot:

TMunday 04-07-2006 08:29 PM

You guys are awesome! Thank you all. I appreciate all of your help (emails, PM's, messages here, and more) today! It has made for a better day for me. :)

Misti in Seattle 04-07-2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathyxxx
The point I'm making is that a lot of people are finding that their "anxiety disorder" actually is caused by a thyroid problem.

So true, Kathy... I have always been cheerful and upbeat... but was suddenly an absolute mess, crying all the time, panic attacks, etc... thought I was having some kind of emotional breakdown. The minute they jerked half of that thyroid and the tumor out, I was better; and now with experimenting on exact meds dosage, I am back to my old cheery self!

Of course it could be something else; don't mean to imply it isn't. But thyroid is very underdiagnosed in this country. Just something to check out.

Marciet 04-07-2006 09:06 PM

Misty-I used to live in Bothell, right on the bothell/Mill Creek line. My kids went to the Mill Creek schools. Loved them. I really hate the Marysville schools, that's why we homeschool. My goal is to eventually move back to Bothell, Mill Creek. The homes are just so much more expensive there.

liz321 04-07-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMunday
I don't understand what your talking about here???

Branbrown's aviator...........that baby is so adorable!

L

TMunday 04-07-2006 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz321
Branbrown's aviator...........that baby is so adorable!

L

Oh ok lol. My mind was sleeping when I saw your post this morning haha.