Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #16  
Hot Mama

Sweet pea-I have an appt on the 16th with my md. I really do want to change meds. The celexa isn't doing much at all for me. I get to have a root canal tomorrow. Yeehaw. I plan on doing NOTHING after that.
Marciet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:28 AM   #17  
Pending Email Confirmation

The Celaxa is not working for me either....

I hate Dentists good luck.... speaking of them my dad is going for a tooth out today!

I also love Monk, been tuning in during the afternoons on BBC1... well I need to do something seeing as I am not at work for the next couple of weeks....
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:54 AM   #18  

celexa didn't work for me either. it does dampen the depression and stop suicidal urges but that's about it...

had a nap this arvo and that was my day
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

good morning gang

Just wanted to tell everyone a quick GOOD MORNING and hope that all is well.

Will get back in here when I get a minute.

hugs & blessings,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #20  

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning everyone

Sorry I haven't been around much, just can't seem to put two thoughts together that make any sense.

Had lots of wet snow last night and now its blowing out there. Thank goodness hubby was home this am to clear the driveway. And I'm glad I don't have to go out until after school as I've been listening to the scanner and the roads don't sound that great. A lot of buses were late this morning and had to chain up. Its my youngest DD's birthday today, so I have a cake to decorate for her. (she's now 14) I have an optometrist appt tomorrow and a dr appointment on Friday. Then thankgoodness its spring break. The only thing we have planned for springbreak is an optometrist appt for the three girls.

Just wanted to drop in and say "Hi" and that I'm still kicking.

Take care everyone,
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #21  

hi everyone
buddly that weather doesn't sound much fun. i'll stop complaining about my rain - the snow sounds worse!!!

i got woken early by the neighbours playing eminem on the stereo. i'm thinking i might go back to bed

i have to do some soul searching. i really don't know what i want to do with my life, and i have yet another pill that isn't working for me. the effexor isn't stopping the anxiety or depression, and it is adding drowsiness and dizziness to the equation. i will have to think what to do next. i have tried pretty much all the ssri's so not sure what else can be done. i should probably make radical dietary changes but ahem i really can't get motivated to make long term changes. i am increasing my exercise and that's about all i feel like doing for now, even though i know i "should". ugh hate that word. also hate anything confining, and less or no sugar and junkfood is definitely confining...

okay i could argue it the other way. it could give me freedom through more energy BUT it's not guaranteed. in the past i've changed my diet and still been depressed and anxious so i think what's the point? hmmmm. interested in what others have to say.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #22  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

Sweet Pea - I discovered after changing my diet and cutting out sweets and comfort foods that I loved before I felt a lot better. I'm beginning to look and feel thinner, too, which feels great. I hated how I felt when I was eating and sitting around all the time.

The past few days have been pretty bad for me. TOM. Need I say more? It's made me very hormonal and brought the anxiety that I hadn't felt in a week back again. I'm hoping things will get better. I've felt very tired and dizzy too, which I assume is the anemia the doctor said I'd get when I went on my period, hence my "borderline anemia". I uppped my dose of iron and I hope it works.

Not much else to say. I hope everyone else had a good day
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #23  
Hot Mama

Hmmm...I know I need to make those dietary changes too. It's REALLY hard. Esp. when you're depressed and do NOT feel like cooking.

Sweet Pea-I really hated the effexor. And going off of it I got pretty psychotic. Make sure the doc brings you down gently!

I have also tried all the ssri meds. Hoping the doc will have some ideas when I see her next week.
Marciet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #24  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

SweetPea and Marciet, you both mentioned the reasons I gave up on meds altogether - they stopped working. I'd tried Zoloft, Prozac, Wellbutrin, and Effexor. By last summer it dawned on me that they weren't helping and were making me fatter. So I gave up. I still struggle with depression mixed with periods of mania. I made a resolve when I cold turkeyed to exercise and use my light box. I believe both have helped make this past winter one of the best mood wise that I've had in decades. giving up was scary, though. The effexor withdrawal is tricky. I was light headed and weird, but nothing like the symptoms I read about online. I was one of the lucky ones. SweetPea, Marciet is right about going off slowly. Documented reports of horrible side effects are out there to read.

Buddly, your daughter and my DH share today as the birthday. I made a cake last night but still have to frost it. It will be yummy and bad for me. Too bad there are so few things that are yummy and good for you. Strawberries and Peaches are two of my favorite foods and they're good for me. Too bad they're only in season for a couple months. Cakes are in season forever.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #25  

Hi. Been missing for a few days, I hope everyone is doing well. I saw my dr on Monday. Got the go ahead to taper the effexor down to 225mg. So far so good. Originally had discussed adding Topamax to aide with weight loss but decided it wasn't a good idea. More than likely it wouldn't help me, and if it did, probably not for very long. I hated the thought of another med if that was all I was taking it for. Only have had some headaches and I hope that's the worst of it. Will keep reducing it to as low as possible provided I still feel in control. I am crossing my fingers that the weight will start to drop now!
I also got a boost in my ritalin rx, so hopefully I'll be all fixed up.

Marcie, hope the root canal went ok. I have to get in to get a crown done, but I am so chicken. I am afraid of the dentist! How long have you used Celexa? Are you going to wait to switch until you find out a diagnosis? There are so many out there, can make it frustrating. Good luck with that.

Sweetpea, how ya feeling? I'm sorry the Effexor doesnt seem to be working. Are you going to maybe check into other possible diagnosis? Maybe you've been on the wrong route with meds? Maybe you need something from a whole other family of drugs. So many possibilities, I'm sure your patience is wearing thin, I know mine is right now. I take my effexor at night because it makes me sleepy. Everything I take makes me sleepy, in fact!

Cathy, how ya doing little lady? Miss ya around here.

Buddly, so nice to see you. It's a bummer about the snow, I would never make it where you girls live in the cold. I am a wimp. I am freezing right now and it's like 60 outside. lol Wishing DD a very happy birthday! they do grow up fast, don't they?

lessthan, sorry to hear about the oogie's right now. TOM can be a real pain in the butt, can't it? I get super dizzy at that time too, so I know how you're feeling. Be kind to yourself right now and know that it will pass and things will readjust for you again once nasty TOM leaves.

Alrighty ladies, it's getting late and I've been putting off what I need to get done today long enough I suppose. As if folding laundry and making beds is so much fun! NOT.
Have a great evening and I will see you all tomorrow.
desertdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:36 AM   #26  

hi everyone

made an important decision today...
I have come to the conclusion that I absolutely must get off this drug. The battle will come when I tell my doctor as she will want me to go back on cipramil. The trouble with that is it gives me nightmares (for several years!). You know what she said to me about that, “is it really that bad?”. Well YES nightmares every single night is living ****. But I know she thinks it’s not so bad and will try to get me to go back on them. Mind you this is also the doc that said to keep taking the pills that made my breasts lactate and stopped my periods. Took 5 mo for them to start again (well that was good) but it goes to show even when you stop taking pills they still interfere with your system. They can make permanent changes to your ‘wiring’.

Back to Ms Dizzy. I was grocery shopping and it was definitely a challenge. It was just so hard to manoeuvre around the aisles and find stuff and of course feeling rotten I bought all the healthy stuff but also threw in chocolate and other goodies. There is no way I can work or win speech comps or anything else if I continue on these drugs. It’s been close to 2 mths and although it is lessening the good parts aren’t sufficiently good to outweigh the side effects.

Danielle/Marie/Marcie
Yup coming off efexor is hard. it makes you dizzy and a whole pile of other side effects (even worse than what i've got now).

danielle there is an article on coming off efexor due to the extreme withdrawal symptoms it is hard. here is the link http://www.remedyfind.com/rem.asp?id=91

Marie - i have the same problem the meds don't work at least not completely. i do get suicidal when i go off ADs but i am depressed even when on them but it is low grade

So far i have been on:
AD-efexor, celexa, prozac, aropax (paroxetine). all SSRI and SSNI
mood-lithium, depakote, tegratol, carbenazapine
antipsychotics-risperdal, thioridazine, olanzepine, seroquel
anxiolitic-klonopin

i took some of these on their own and others in combination but still no joy

and none of them have made me "well" so this is a real uphill battle.

danielle - there are questions over the dx. originally they thought bipolar but as i have not responded to any of the meds for bipolar they are now considering that i have a personality disorder (narcissism), depression and generalised anxiety disorder. but noone really knows! that makes meds even more challenging. still i do like to be unique

<3 was it the dietary changes that made you feel better or the meds?

Unbelievable. The neighbour came to tell me jazz was in her section. Next thing I know she leaps straight over a hedge more than 3’ high and 2’ wide. Easy peasy. No trouble at all and she’s only 9 mo old. That is a major problem. And expensive. When she’s full grown she’ll be over 6’ fences. ****’s teeth. Major hassle. Esp as I don’t know how long I plan to stay here. I don’t want to put in permanent fencing if I am leaving in under a year. And likely I will be hmmm. So far I have found her outside 3x. I have to keep rushing outside to check on her. Now it’s dark so hopefully she’ll stop trying to escape. Excellent. she;s inside on her bed. What a relief. I will have to tie her up now when I go out until I decide what to do to sort this out. It would be expensive to fence with 6' high fencing. darn i forgot about her for a moment and she was across the road. this is hopeless grrr.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:08 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

good morning gang

Wanted to post a quick HELLO before the weather gets too bad around here today. We have a tornado watch until 1 and it's starting to look like bad weather outside.

Wonder where the rest of our gang is??? Seems like we lost some of our regular posters when we went from a daily thread to a weekly thread. I have no preferences - they are both fine to me - but perhaps others have an opinion one way or the other? Maybe some find it too overwhelming to try to go thru days of posts to post a message - I know lately I've had to just post a quick hello bec I just don't have time to read thru them - but I want to. ;-)

Any thoughts?

Hope everyone has a blessed day!

hugs,
Cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 03-09-2006 at 11:25 AM.
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #28  

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning everyone

Just a quick Hello as I have to get to town to get my eyes checked. Thankfully we are having a beautiful morning with sunshine and blue skies as my DD18 will have to drive after they put the drops in my eyes. "They" are calling for more snow and I saw on the forecast of the possibility of lows of -22C brrrr! I sure hope they are wrong on that one!

Marie, I hope your hubby had a nice birthday. Did you decorate the cake really fancy? My poor Colleen didn't get anything special this year as I was drawing a blank. My go lite is helping with my sleep, but I sure am in a funk right now. As for fruit, this time of year, I find that Costco has some great frozen strawberries and I stocked up on frozen blueberries from the local supermarket when they were on sale.

Danielle, I think our snow would be quite a shock to someone from Arizona. When I was a teen my grandmother would winter in Yuma and we would go down for six weeks over the Christmas break. Was that ever a nice break! All be it Santa in his winter suit and silver tinsel just doesn't look right when its blowing in the hot desert winds!

Sweetpea, sure hope you start to feel better soon. For you dog, can you put up a cable that runs the length of your yard so he can run back and forth, or is there not enough room? It gives them some freedom, but is a lot cheaper than a huge fence. We did the cable thing for our great dane as she just wouldn't learn to stay in the yard. Just a thought.

Cathy, tornados already Wow, batten down the hatches and stay safe!

Anyway everyone have a great day and take care of yourselves. I have to go and get ready.

Take care,
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #29  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Morning everyone, everything is going good here. We had a nice dirthday party for DH last night. Basically it was nice and relaxed. buddly, I used to decorate cakes but my fingers would always go in the icing and I was getting fatter. So I stopped that hobby. I just made a Red Velvet cake with white icing. Very yummy and not as dangerous as making roses (when you make roses, there are bad ones and they must be destroyed by eating).

Cathy, I like the weekly thread better. More continuity in the chat. Only draw back is if you get behind it takes a while to catch up whereas I could fake it in the daily chats. My guess is the evolution of posters. I know when I'm really bad eating and exercising wise, I tend to avoid 3FC so that I don't feel even more guilty. Could be the same for others.

Well, time to work. I'll check in later.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #30  

hi everyone

i like the way marie puts that: the evolution of posters. actually it's really only this week that's been quiet, most people have been with us up until now. i find from having belonged to other diet sites that people come and go depending on how busy they are and how committed they're feeling to their diet. with a depression thread i can definitely see some people hiding away and cocooning for a while. i got totally lost on the daily thread. by the time i'd read everything it was a new day!

with the dog i tried tying her this morning. she jumped the fence so i tied her up on a long cable. at first she was ok. but then the other dog ran to the front to woof and jazz tried to follow. she didn't yelp she screamed. and she kept screaming. she kept trying to pull away and screaming. it was hideous. i should have guessed that would happen. she's awful on a lead. i'll have to lock her in the woodshed while i'm out. it's ventilated and locakable. i just hope she doesn't make any noise. probably too much to hope for. will leave her with a bone and a ball and water and a bed.

back later