Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

View Poll Results: Are co workers supportive of your weight loss journey
Yes! 3 42.86%
No and they try to sabogate me 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #1  

Unhappy Depressed and struggling

I don't know how to cope with this anymore, I don't know how to overcome this anymore... I am glad to have found this message board.. hopefully no one will find me here. I used to hang on weight watcher's boards until two co workers violated my privacy when I posted a thread venting about the candy bowl at work.

I can't seem to get over this, angry at them for violating my privay, overstepping boundaries, and posting to my post while it is my personal vent, altho I realize its a public message board, I just didn't need their opinion, ya know?

I will post later after work about what happened.. but it has resulted in bad feelings between us. I don't know how they feel about me now but for me, I still feel angry, depressed... especially after this co workers comment on her post on my thread really has hurt me and brought me down.. i will paste the quote "have you ever known someone that complained so much about why they're having problems losing weight, that eventually you have a hard time taking it seriously?"

I will post more info later as I don't want to post this at work ...I juststill feel so depressed, i want to lose weight so bad, but something in me, .. i don't know... still angry at them ... i feel that they are very very very UNsupportive of my trying to lose weight. I also don't take my daily rx of thryoid meds and metforim meds.... i need to do that because when i dont take them< i feel worse...

Thanks for listening.... any suggestions on how to overcome this but i think itll be easier when you read my new post that I will post on later on.

I hate feeling this way and this happened ALMOST a year ago!
thinbefore40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #2  

I don't know the details, but my advice is this:

-Use their belief that you're not serious about losing weight to your advantage. That could be a very powerful motivator. Every time you feel like giving up, think of them saying that and maybe you'll find that you get a little more determined each time to prove them wrong.

-Quit discussing your weight loss journey at work. If they're not going to be supportive and choose instead to drag you down, your breath is wasted on them. Come here for support. I'll even PM you my email address if you'd like and I'd be happy to listen to your struggles. I've got my own; I'll understand.

-Find a new job? I can't imagine working in an environment that seems so hostile.

Please don't let this get you down. You don't need their support, especially since they don't seem willing to give it.
incendiary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:23 PM   #3  

thinbefore40,
I mentioned a couple of times at work that I'm counting calories and trying to make better food choices. We have a "secret valentine" exchange and I put on my form that I didn't want any chocolate or candy. I put down some other non-fattening ideas like lip gloss, movie coupons, candles, etc. Anyway....someone had the nerve to say, "Don't diet...I want you to stay fat like me". Someone else made a comment about New Year's Resolutions never lasting past Feb.

Take incendiary's advice and use their negativity to motivate you. Imagine six months from now, when you're in shape and wearing cute summer clothes! Don't discuss your weight loss journey with people you know will be unsupportive. Come here and vent. We will be your support!

Chin up!!!

On a lighter note, I turn 40 this year too!!!
teach26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #4  

Thanks all!

Teach26, omg how rude of them to tell you they want you to stay fat.

I guess some people don't want to see you succeed!

I could really use some support!!!

2004 has been a very difficult year for me and 2005... lots other issues especially with the co workers!

So hoping 2006 will be better for me becuse i want to be thin before 40!!! or at least 1/2 or 3/4 way to my goal weight!!!!

No worries, I don't talk to those two co workers much anymore and I took them off my buddy lists on instant messengers. I want to keep my life as private as much as possible now! So hopefully this forum will be my private one, even though its a public message.. I hope they don't find me over here! I don't post on WW message boards much anymore.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:48 AM   #5  
Feeling the burn

Temptation is very hard at times but it's up to you to decide what you really want in the end. I have friends who stopped drinking/smoking and did it despite people around them having a drink/cigarette. Same thing goes for food.

I'm often in a situation where candy is offered to me. Everybody at work always buys a little bag of gummies or caramel or what have you, and they all go around with their bag, offering it to everyone. I don't eat it. I do like having little munchies too, I bring my own little snacks. Grapes, cut up apples or pears, melon, carrots, cucumbers and I keep them near me. So when I feel like munching, I grab those. I bring a fruit with me everywhere I go. Came in handy at a Bday party last week. While everyone ate cake and ice cream, I took out my apple and ate that instead. I was eating so I didn't think about the cake.

Let it go. I know it's hard. We all have to deal with this stuff but you can be stronger than that. Blaming your co workers and the candy bowl won't make you achieve your goal. You have to step up to the plate and set yourself up for success. Bring healthy munchies, chew on some strong minty gum (candy tastes really gross if you had gum!), keep a bottle of mouthwash in your drawer. You can do it! Don't wait for people to change around you, because you might end up waiting forever. Remember that you are doing it for yourself and that you are worth it.

Good luck with your journey!
Fit_Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:02 AM   #6  

Thank you! Yes i know .. that is a big issue i'm working on overcoming/resolving right now with my therapist.. i see her on thurs.. i Can't wait
Old 01-31-2006, 08:18 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

IMHO and years of experience...

There comes a time when you have to get rid of the people in your life that bring you down and keep the ones that uplift you.

Misery loves company.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote