Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #1  

Question Light Box therapy

Have a question for those of you who use a light. Were any of you diagnosed by your doc with the circadian rhythm problem or do most of you use it for SAD? Did any of your insurance pay for the light?

I did the assessment on the Apollo lite website and according to it I have a moderate case of DCR. Just wondered what your thoughts were on that assessment. I know they are there to help people but they are also there to sell lights. I don't want to jump on some new "fad" diagnosis. I am as bad as anyone about wanting that magic pill that will fix all my problems. So I'm really interested in what you guys think.

Thanks,
Sandy
Married to a man who gets up before the chickens.
flagmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #2  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Sandy, my pyschiatrist prescribed it for me. I'm bi-polar and SAD affects me. So I didn't use the online assessment. I think light therapy is a great non-med tool for depression. I went off my meds in August and have been med-free for nearly 6 months. The lightbox has definitely helped with that. I also exercise regularly (usually daily) for the anit-depression effect. That's it's good for me too is a benefit, but I actually do it solely to stay med-free.

Anyway, I recommend the blue light therapy if you're thinking of light therapy. I sold my old full spectrum light on ebay to help pay for this one. Truly, it is better.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote