Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-23-2006, 08:21 PM   #76  

Here are some other things I do to fight that winter blahs.....I don't have heavy curtains on my windows...I let as much natural light in as I can. I have only sheers on my east facing bedroom window so that I get as much early morning sunlight as I can...it wakes me up once the sun is high enough on the horizon in the spring. On ANY sunny winter day, I try to go for a short walk or even a sit outside WITHOUT sunglasses. Seriously, I watch the weather channel and note the extra couple of minutes of daylight per day LOL. To combat the winter chills often associated with SAD, I try to acclimate myself by NOT putting on the heaviest coat or PJ's, NOT using a heating pad...forcing your body to get with the program so to speak. AND YES SOME YEARS ARE WORSE THAN OTHERS> THis year has been particularly mild and sunnier and frankly, while I am sorry your coastal cities may be inundated by flooding caused by global warming OH WELL...hey I never knew I had beachfront property LOL..just kidding.
magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpingiron
Well I am excited... The doc I am switching to is highly recommended by many people in the area. (My health store and also one I happened to pop in to yesterday.) All say he really looks for the cause for problems and doesn't just treat symptoms. I am so relieved....One more week!
Hey Pumpingiron - this is great! Is this doc a holistic doc? or a regular GP? I think it will be great to have a doc that will look for the cause of the problem!!!

"Oh, and by the way....I am almost done reading Hormones Health and Happiness.....what a great book. I am so happy to know there are good Docs out there still. I might take it with me to my appointment. (March 3rd)"

I wouldn't think it would hurt to bring the book with you - unless you were seeing an Endo - apparently a lot of Endos think that Dr. Hotze is way off But there is certainly a lot of great info in that book. Have you gone thru the tests at the end of the book to see if you have some or a lot of the symptoms of thyroid or other things? just curious.

BTW - I found out that Dr. Hotze is VERY EXPENSIVE to see. But yea - it's really nice to know there are good docs out there still - just wish that he - and others like him weren't so expensive.

I really hope that things go well at your appt and that this doc is able to figure things out. You have certainly armed yourself with a lot of good info and that can only help you in the long run.

Please let us know how it goes.

hugs & prayers,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:46 AM   #78  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyxxx
Hey Pumpingiron - this is great! Is this doc a holistic doc? or a regular GP? I think it will be great to have a doc that will look for the cause of the problem!!!
I really hope that things go well at your appt and that this doc is able to figure things out. You have certainly armed yourself with a lot of good info and that can only help you in the long run.
Please let us know how it goes.
hugs & prayers,
Cathy

Just got back from my appointment and I LOVE my new doc!!!!!! He is a holistic doc, and he spend about 40 minutes with me talking and ..... get this.....LISTENING!!!!!!
He has ordered a glucose tolerance test (I had gestational diabetes, he said that I am set up to have problems with insulin and that can affect the other hormones) a metabolic panel and a hormone panel.
He did get to saying that I could have more than one problem going on, and we will address all as needed. My husband went with me and discussed the stress issues with us owning a business (I wouldn't have even mentioned that on my own) So he said some long term stress can alter brain chemicals, and has given us the name of a good psychologist (he will also give me a scrip for Wellbutrin if the other tests come back OK, and if I feel I need it along w/counseling)
I am so happy he took an interest. He tells me he sees about 10 patients a week complaining about weight gain, and 9 times out of 10 it is a problem with insulin.
Maybe I'll get to the bottom of this yet. If all tests come back normal, I will try the Wellbutrin and counseling.
pumpingiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:15 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey Pumpingiron - really great news!
I'm getting to where I REALLY LIKE holistic docs! Sounds like he will check everything out and look for the problem.
I would still love to see the results of the thyroid work that he does. ;-)
Would you please let me know what he does and what the results are?
Please keep me posted.
hugs & prayers,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #80  

that sounds like really good news. the diabetes is a critical thing to check. you are "at risk" for 10 years after gestational diabetes. i know my doc recommends you take 10,000 steps a day to lower the risk

i also have insulin problems as i am prediabetic so i am thinking that could be contributing to the problem. but the motivation to exercise when tired or when the dogs are fighting the lead (ok just the puppy but still v annoying) is low. just have to get out and do it

i haven't found a holistic doc where i live. will keep asking around tho...
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #81  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_pea
i haven't found a holistic doc where i live. will keep asking around tho...
If you have a local health food store, ask around in there! I agree, it is hard to find one. Thank God I accidentally stumbled upon him at the whole foods store!
pumpingiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:51 AM   #82  

i hadn't thought about that. they may know someone, altho it is a small town so hard to know
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote