Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #16  
Warrior Princess

I know I have said this somewhere before but SSRI's normally do not cause weight gain, it's the older anti-depressants like Prozac that do. Good luck.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #17  
Warrior Princess

I'll also just copy and paste what I said in the Lexapro thread:

I think the main point is that if the medication increases your appetite and you eat more; you'll gain. For some people it decreases their appetite and they lose. It's not the medication itself it's how you react to it; if you continue to eat as you were before taking the meds your weight won't change.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
I think the main point is that if the medication increases your appetite and you eat more; you'll gain. For some people it decreases their appetite and they lose. It's not the medication itself it's how you react to it; if you continue to eat as you were before taking the meds your weight won't change.
I agree with this.

And even though this is an old thread, I'll answer. I've personally lost weight on Zoloft. I'm also dieting at the same time but the Zoloft is DEFINITELY helping. Ever since I started taking it I get very full, very fast. I can only eat about half of what I use to be able to eat. I've only been on it for 2 weeks so I'm expecting that this side effect will go away like I'm told most of the other ones should in a few weeks.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I am taking Zoloft and have been for about 5 years. Just before I stated dieting (this time) my dose was increased from 50 mg to 100 mg. As you can see by my ticker, I am having no trouble losing.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 221/221/175

Height: 5'6''

Talking

I have been on several different depression medications for my anxiety and migraines throughout the years. I started on lexapro which I loved but it made me sleepy, then I was on Prozac and I did not really notice any difference with my symptoms, and today I just started on zoloft. I also have xanax for my anxiety which makes me sleepy as well. I never gained or lost weight with any of these, but to cut out the sleepiness and lack of motivation I took the pill at night that way I could sleep but it still worked for the anxiety.
midnight65806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #21  
Pretty in pink

S/C/G: 274/262/240 for now

Height: 5'2

I've been on Zoloft for about 4 years. It has never really affected me in terms of weight either way. Good luck!
PudgyFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #22  

Height: 5'4"

I've lost on it!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #23  

Height: 5'8

I actually started zoloft 3 weeks ago and I've lose 6lbs so far.
It's totally knocked out my binge eating,and I don't feel depressed anymore. anxiety is a little high,but I take calms forte for that and it helps
Tohisha77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:05 AM   #24  

Default I tend to lose weight when depressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita View Post
I lost weight easily while on Zoloft, but regained when I stopped taking the medication. But then, one of my depressive symptoms is overeating, so it makes sense that Zoloft would help me lose weight, to the extent that it helped with my depression. However, there are other people who tend to lose their appetite when they're really depressed. I've always wondered if those people would gain weight on Zoloft, because their appetite returns as their depression lifts. Is it possible that's what you're experiencing?

I'm one of the people who lose weight when depressed and I have lost almost 23 pounds in the past few months I am only weighing now 100 pounds and I am also pregnant I just got this medicine prescribed to me today I just pray I don't lose any more weight as it has been a big cause of my depression please let me know what you guys think because I too have been curious as to see if people who gain more weight while depressed lose while on anti depressant or gain more and if people who lose weight while depressed gain on an anti depressant or lose more I am already feeling the side effects it's day one had to set my son to the side because of a massive headache and lots of nausea almost fainted in hot shower and waterfall tears due to excessive yawning but Also cannot sleep this whole night my son woke me up in middle of night and have since to fall back asleep please help I really want to eat and pack on some weight for this baby if you gained weight on Zoloft and tend to lose while depressed please tell me I would love to know ! Thank you
love_ely0315 is offline   Reply With Quote