3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Depression and Weight Issues

Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Depression and Exercise

Old 01-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #76

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightiesbabe84 View Post
I take Cymbalta and Lamictal. Cymbalta is pretty expensive if you don't have insurance though. I have been taking them since 2007 and they seem to help. I also take Trazedone to help me sleep. I am pretty heavy but I am blessed to still be able to work full time. I have suffered from depression most of my life. I think if I could wake up feeling good every morning I could be consistant with this weight loss journey. I have battled it for so long; I could write a book. I bet there are a lot of you out there that could say the same thing.
I know what you mean. IF I could wake up feeling good just half the time, I could do better at exercising. But feeling bad and exhausted all the time makes it so much more difficult to exercise than it does for the average person. I take risperdol, wellbutrin and trazodone myself. I believe the risperdol makes me tired and causes me to gain weight. I not overweight, but definitely overweight by about 45 pounds. And just to lose 10 pounds in itself is hard, so to lose 45, 75 or 100 is tough. But I know it can be done. I've seen people do it, so why can't I. The depression is my biggest hurdle.
kandyrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyrews View Post
I know what you mean. IF I could wake up feeling good just half the time, I could do better at exercising. But feeling bad and exhausted all the time makes it so much more difficult to exercise than it does for the average person. I take risperdol, wellbutrin and trazodone myself. I believe the risperdol makes me tired and causes me to gain weight. I not overweight, but definitely overweight by about 45 pounds. And just to lose 10 pounds in itself is hard, so to lose 45, 75 or 100 is tough. But I know it can be done. I've seen people do it, so why can't I. The depression is my biggest hurdle.
This x 1,000. There have been periods when the medication worked for me, I was able to function somewhat normally and I'd be able to exercise consistently. I'd lose some weight, but eventually the depression came back and with it the weight.
RoseLaurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #78

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'3.5"

Hello, I last post in March and was handling my depression/mood swings. Then we got pregnant and at end of trimester found out I'd had a missed miscarriage (which sounds like an oxymoron). So, here I am again! Worse for wear. Since the m/c my moods have been so volatile I feel like my head is spinning. I'm not depressed about the m/c; there wasn't a fetus, just a yolksac, so I feel more frustrated than anything. I'd finally got my weight down to 138 lbs and then in the course of the trimester put on ~7 lbs. It's been almost two months since the m/c and I weigh even more now. I'm 146. I wish I could attribute it all to hormones (certainly the mental state is), but this weight is really really depressing me. It feels weird and not right. And I'm 37, so no spring chicken. I'm trying not to dwell, but frankly, I could use some cheerleading. I do, in exchange, have a funny story to tell...
Old 07-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #79

S/C/G: 149/149/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiningawayxz View Post
Hello, I last post in March and was handling my depression/mood swings. Then we got pregnant and at end of trimester found out I'd had a missed miscarriage (which sounds like an oxymoron). So, here I am again! Worse for wear. Since the m/c my moods have been so volatile I feel like my head is spinning. I'm not depressed about the m/c; there wasn't a fetus, just a yolksac, so I feel more frustrated than anything. I'd finally got my weight down to 138 lbs and then in the course of the trimester put on ~7 lbs. It's been almost two months since the m/c and I weigh even more now. I'm 146. I wish I could attribute it all to hormones (certainly the mental state is), but this weight is really really depressing me. It feels weird and not right. And I'm 37, so no spring chicken. I'm trying not to dwell, but frankly, I could use some cheerleading. I do, in exchange, have a funny story to tell...

I could have written this myself years ago when I had my m/c. I had two and was not depressed from that as much as not feeling healthy- body and head. I have two kids now and am in my 40s but the weight depression still lingers. I would love to hear your funny story! I like how you write and look forward to reading more of your posts.
Redredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #80

S/C/G: 214/208/140

Height: 5'5

I Am New Here.i Have Been "dieting" Eating Very Healthy And Exercising For 5months Now My Weight Loss Has Been Very Slow! A Lot Of People Tell Me It Is Because Of The Depression Medicine Im On (zoloft) Could This Be True? If So What Can I Do About It?i Can Not Stop The Meds At This Time
dolphina41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #81

S/C/G: 165/165/130

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Depression

I've been steadily gaining weight over the past year and I've noticed that I've been so much more sad lately that I used to be. I'm dealing with terrible self-esteem issues and have a crying fit at least every other day- sometimes multiple times a day, depending on what I'm doing (like trying to find SOMETHING that still fits and failing or having to see awful pictures I was tagged in). So, I'm trying to be a better me and hoping it makes a happier me.
zeldafangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #82
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

walking works for me too!
I can walk many many miles except today I only did 3.5 miles because of PMS...
I felt sooooo tired ...

tomorrow looks brighter already.
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #83
Nolasusan

S/C/G: 180/175/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Nolasusan

Thanks for the information.
Nolasusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #84
Nolasusan

S/C/G: 180/175/150

Height: 5'7"

Thank you for the information.
Nolasusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 AM   #85

S/C/G: 167/167/118

Height: 5'4"

Default Depressed and powerless

I've never joined a support group, but then again I've never lost my weight. I feel like it defines me. Because I believe that I know the way to solve the problem and more or less choose not to. My age- the menapause etc.. Has made it harder than ever. The effort I spend on my face, concerning age doesn't parallel any effort towards making my body healthy and I notice that men are not as concerned about some laugh lines as they are about rolls of fat and lack of muscle tone. My marriage takes a hit in the bedroom my depression rules the day and I've just washed down my pepperidge farm raspberry turnover with ice cream and a Vicodin and a melatonin so I can sleep.
At some point today I was sure that I was going to get up at 6am and go try body pump at the gym, now I know it will be 9 and ill be drinking coffee and trying to convince myself to get out of bed.
My marriage needs help but I've lost my power, if I can't regain my health and get to a reasonable body weight, I don't think I can do anything.
I'm not 100lbs overweight but I'm 50lbs for a lot of years. Lot-
Why am I powerless. Why do I feel so exhausted at the mention of fitness.
Help
Juliet is the sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #86

S/C/G: 333.5/306.5/200

Height: 5 ft. 11 in.

I don't know how much fun this is but I use a peddler which I purchased for under $36.00. It is good because I can use it anytime I feel the need of a bit of exercise. I also try to get outside for a walk at least 2 a week.(weather permitting in winter). As for diet pills, well, I don't know about putting chemicals into my body that are going to cause more harm than good.

Last edited by meandu : 11-17-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added a thought
meandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #87

S/C/G: 192/192/138

Height: 5 ft 5 inches

Default I know how you all feel.

I'm tired of being fat, sad, and lonely. I'm a real person... I'm tired of hearing how I have a pretty face... What about the rest of me? Sorry, guys needed to say it out loud or write it. For the past 4 years my life has not been where I wanted it to be, and today I'm taking control. I've always been a positive person on the outside, but inside I'm sad, lonely, scared and I feel like ****...

Through many sleepless nights I searched for natural supplements to help with my mood and energy level, and I've found 2 natural supplements, Spirulina and 5-HTP. I started taking Spirulina a week ago, and it is working for me. I'm not drowsy any more at work or before the gym. I take one with ever meal along with my KLBs. 5-Htp is a mood enhancer and you take it before bed, and you sleep the depression away, you wake up the next morning with a positive outlook. Google 5-HTP for more information. I bought my Spirulina and 5-HTP at Whole Foods on Lavista Rd in Decatur GA.

I hope this help someone with their depression and energy.
shanaqua24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #88

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

Is anyone here on Zoloft (or Sertraline, the generic)? I just started taking it again after a hiatus. I lost weight when I was on it the first time, but I don't think it was related to the medicine. I think it was moreso that I was in my final year of law school and running myself ragged/often forgetting to eat because I was so busy. I'm just wondering if y'all have any experiences to share as far as whether it makes you lose or gain. I'm on 50 mg/day if that helps.
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #89

S/C/G: 333.5/306.5/200

Height: 5 ft. 11 in.

It is funny that I know that I need to exercise for both weight reduction and to ease depression but somehow I am unable to get myself into a regular routine.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #90

I agree, as far as I know about exercise it makes my day perfect and active, I can use my brain effectively in all my works.
Karalopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.