Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-28-2005, 06:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default Keeping Sane enough to Diet

I know how to lose weight. I've done it twice before after each kid. This is the first time I've gained weight after I had a baby instead of just holding on to it and waiting for the right time to diet. One thing that I know about taking off weight is while it can be done, it is HARD work. Now that I'm bipolar, I don't know if I have the energy to deal with it. I want to lose weight. I'm in an okay spot for the moment, hence the reason I'm thinking of it, but most of the time it takes all I can to get through the day, much less take on a MT. Everest task.

So I know I will have to do pre-planning. I will have to find foods that I can make in less than 5 min. (that require no cooking). Foods that I can microwave for the family. On the days that take effort to even walk down the stairs to start the task of taking care of the family, I won't have it in me to think of my nutrition or diet.

With this in mind, and a lot of support, can some of you (with minimal ingrediets and none of the fancy names of recipes) offer both encouragement and recipes (quick). Recipes I can even con dad into making when it comes down to it. I don't mean to sound defeatist, but it does feel good to even take this first step. The step of attempting. I also know I can and know how to accomplish this goal so that helps. I just need help with the energy. (I know excercise helps but that is unrealistic sometimes).

I have to do something though. I have gained 30 pounds since the birth of my last child (2 years ago). Part of it is because I eat for stress and because I shove whatever is available instead of making something.

In the meantime the most important thing I can do for myself is take my medicines, find coping strategies and manage my illness. It would just be great to lose weight too!
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 PM   #2  
Hot Mama

Wow. I can really identify. I'm not bipolar, just depressed and anxious. I know about those days you have no energy. That is my life. I also know exercise will help, but can't get myself up to do it. This is my first day here. I hope to learn from everyone, be encouraged, and encourage others. Let's wade through this together.

Marcie
Marciet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:54 AM   #3  

Default Fitday

Have you tried www.fitday.com. It is a neat food and excercise tracker. I like that it gives you credit for dressing yourself, taking a bath, etc. Sometimes that's all the credit I'm gonna get.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:54 PM   #4  

Hi there! Well, I saw a great idea on one of the forums here -- you just spend one day freezing stuff I think they called it "freezer dump?"

Basically you take fresh chicken (I bought a bunch of boneless chicken breast at Costco for only 2.99/lb) and you make one or two kinds of marinade and you freeze in family-sized batches (four in my case) freeze them flat in the freezer, then the day before, you thaw them in the fridge and they sort of marinate while they thaw.

Then it's just a question of grilling/broiling or whatever, and making a salad or veggie, maybe a baked potato...but just the idea of the main course being ready to just stick in the oven is a lot easier!

Also another idea is to get those little snack bags and portion out some healthy stuff -- like nuts, into 1 oz servings and keep them in your purse or in the car...

Here's something that I'm going to try this week -- asking for time, like an hour at night, where I can just be quiet, just be in the tub or whatever.

Basically I plan on using every little trick I can to make this whole losing weight process more of a PLEASURE...and think of it as a pleasure instead of a chore.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:19 PM   #5  

Default Pumped

After reading these sites, I'm pumped too. The real challenge will be when I go back to work (I work for an elementry school and we are on winter break for another week). Things will get busier and more food temptations. Tonight when the kids and my husband dished out their ice cream, I proudly pulled out my fudgecicle that I bought as a backup. Then my husband said next time to buy him some too!
Old 12-31-2005, 05:26 PM   #6  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Buy ready-made or almost ready-made food. Things that don't take a lot of time to prepare. Like soup, frozen dinners, box food such as rice-a-roni. Those foods are not the healthiest, but if you can nuke a dinner for 5 minutes, you might avoid the junk food that is easier than cooking but even worse than frozen dinners. Add a salad and some fruit for nutrition.

Remember that sugar and caffeine are only temporary mood lifters.

Back in my depression days, there was no way I could use FitDay. It's a good program, though, and maybe on your energetic days you could use it.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Losing weight will boost your self-esteem, and life won't seem so hopeless. I'm bipolar, too, so these ideas are just what worked for me. (Well, that and switching meds...)
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Ladies,

Working and holding down the fort is alot of work and can wear you thin, no doubt. What I do is cook on Sundays, I make a few dishes, easy ones. Like a roast, ziti, soups, tuna salad, cold salads...you get the picture (meat loaf) Freeze 1/2 and keep the other half of what ever I make for dinners. I get up at 4:30 am and get home at 6 pm. I definitly DON'T want to cook when I get home so this is my saving grace. Friday's we might have pizza. If I don't cook on the weekend, its cereal and we eat like crap for dinner. Plus I don't have time b/c I have to help DD with her homework. My meals HAVE to be easy peasy or I just won't do it.

Try making enuf of one dish for two weeks. You can freeze some and if you do enuf there's even a sunday when you won't have to cook for the week.

If you want to cook chicken fresh during the week, clean and marinade the chicken on sunday this way when you get home all you have to do it stick it on the grill (or oven). You can also make side dishes ahead of time.

You'll feel awkward and it seems confusing in the beginning but trust me, you'll get the hang of it.

Hope this helps
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote