Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #1  
Oreo Monger

Question Healthy rate of weight loss?

It's Friday in 2.5 hours!

So, for some reason, I decided to calculate my up and coming (hopeful) weight loss. I figured at 15 pounds a month, I could be 150 pounds in a year. The problem is, when I think about it, that's 180 pounds lost...in a year. That doesn't sound healthy. But 15 pounds a month doesn't sound unhealthy either...And it doesn't sound hard...to me...I don't know..any input?
manicbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:59 AM   #2  
MayGodLightMyWay

S/C/G: 240/218/136

Default hey

I think you're suppossed to lose1-2 pounds a week. 10 pounds a month should be healthy
angel_rose105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I m doing a program monitored by my doctor and he says you can safely lose as much as 20lbs a month as long as it is fat and not muscle. I'm not exactly sure how you ensure this but it involves low carb and low sugar. Anyways I have been doing it for a month and I lost 17.4lbs.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:13 AM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

some weeks you will lose more weight than others...you might go 3 lbs. one week and 1.5 the next....(every loss counts though!)...and the closer you get to your goal, the less you will lose. Also, building muscle is very important to keep yourself firm....(eat your protein)

I wouldn't obsess about how MUCH you will lose each month, but just focus on the positives....so you don't stress yourself out....and trigger something that might throw you off track. Keeping it off is most important too.

congrats on your progress!!!.....(go and carry around a 45 lb. of dog food and see how heavy it is)
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:48 AM   #5  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

10 lbs a month is a healthy amount of weight to lose long term...keep in mind it is an average - you might lose faster at first and then slow down as you get closer to your goal. If you try to lose too fast you aren't going to build habits you will want to keep up for a lifetime.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:03 PM   #6  
Oreo Monger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleflys
some weeks you will lose more weight than others...you might go 3 lbs. one week and 1.5 the next....(every loss counts though!)...and the closer you get to your goal, the less you will lose. Also, building muscle is very important to keep yourself firm....(eat your protein)

I wouldn't obsess about how MUCH you will lose each month, but just focus on the positives....so you don't stress yourself out....and trigger something that might throw you off track. Keeping it off is most important too.

congrats on your progress!!!.....(go and carry around a 45 lb. of dog food and see how heavy it is)
I actually gained more of that back, but it's now only off by about, um..I wasn't going to figure it out, but let me think...wow, only 7 pounds...Okay, I can lose that pretty quick if I try hard.

I liked your second paragraph...It's very important to focus on the positives, and I've been doing much better at that lately...I am so glad I am a part of this group..It is good to be around others who are trying so hard!
manicbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:59 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

2 lbs a week is safe. Try to focus on changing your habbits so that when your at goal or near it, you won't gain it back. Slow is good and healthy.

When I was in my 20's I lost weight fast.... well my hair started falling out and my BP was wacky. My doctor had me checked for kidney problems. Moral of story.... 2 lbs a week IS safe and GOOD !!!! anything more you might be putting your health at risk. Be careful and and if you feel the need to lose more than please do it under your doctors care.

Hugs.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote