Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 08:54 AM   #61  

Good morning!

Casper it looks like the football will be rained out??....our front lawn is like a swamp this morning. The pups don't like to get wet, they are SUCH WEENIES, but they are SO cute! You'd never know they had major surgery 2 days ago, they're just as crazy as ever.

I'm getting DS's hair cut today. At 2.5yo he SCREAMS and KICKS while in the chair, it's a traumatic experience for all! I think I'll have dh do the dirty deed!

Happydaisy - we went to Day Out with Thomas @ Strasburg RR in Lancaster PA on Sept 24. Ryan absolutely loved it. His eyes were like saucers when he saw life sized Thomas! you mentioned Barney....I can't STAND BARNEY!!! his voice drives me nuts! Thankfully ds doesn't seem to like him much either. WHEW!!!

this is Day 1 of KAren on Topamax. The only side effect thus far is really dry mouth and I woke up with a hangover -like headache, but tylenol fixed it.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

should I be posting this on the daily thread?
Old 10-08-2005, 05:32 PM   #62  

Hi happydaisy!

I didn't know that you're in VA too! Isn't all this rain a bummer?! I know that we need it, but this is ridiculous! Sorry to hear that it is raining all through your first weekend off in months! Guess you'll have to find something else to do because you're definitely not going to Busch Gardens! Well, you could go, but it wouldn't be any fun! Have you come up with some other plan yet? So, you're all too familiar with the theme song for Thomas the Tank Enginge too, huh?! I bet you could recite several episodes on demand! My daughter is seven now and as I said, still watches sometimes though as you said thankfully not as frequently! She doesn't watch the show - we are lucky enough to have a VHS......... You're right, it's not near as bad as some shows kids could watch, but mine tend to think that they can watch everything that me and my DH watch. Needless to say, they are wise beyond their years.........

Good evening, Karen! Yes you're right, football was definitely rained out. I don't know if it was official, but when I went by the field, on the way to taking the kids to dance class, there was no one to be seen! We live on a hill, so we are lucky that our front yard doesn't get swampy. Don't call your pups WEENIES! I don't like to get wet either! I'm sure that they are cute. I'm a cat person my self, but I do like puppies - someone elses puppies! Our cat is crazy too! I remember when she had her surgery, she was so active! You're right - you'd never know that she had had major surgery!

So, you're getting DS's hair cut today huh? At 1 my son amazed the whole barber shop by acting just like a little man - magazine and all. The whole shop would stop and just look at him acting so grown! Your 2.5yo sounds like my dd. She SCREAMS and KICKS when you just come into the room with the come and brush and she's 7! I know the trauma! Yes, let dh do the dirty deed!

So, this is Day 1 on Topamax huh? Isn't dry mouth a _____! Woke up with a hangover-like headache, huh? Ugh! Glad to hear that Tylenol fixed it!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend too - staying dry!

I rarely post on the daily thread. But you can if you want to.

Casper
Old 10-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #63  

Default side effects of topamax

i have really been researching topamax and it sounds very scary to me. the weight loss is almost inevidable for anyone who takes it but at what risk? i went on the fda website and looked it up and it has horrible effects on the kidneys, liver and heart to name a few. not only that most people who take it lose memory. apparantly if you stop the drug within a day or two you will be back to normal. the zoloft and abilify that i have been taking has caused me a lot in weight gain and it just infuriates me to no end. my doctor is considering taking me off of the zoloft and trying lithium. no thanks doc. i would rather have constant panic than take that! i realize that lithium is something the body has naturally and the drug comes from a plant but i have seen the effects on a lot of people and i have no desire to be a zombie. i do not know for sure but i may be addicted to my zoloft. (is that possible?) i have skipped doses and caught up on them later but when i think of someone taking it from me completely i panic. it is my safe haven. i hate the weight gain but it really helps me. i would love to try the topamx as long as i am monitored regularly because the average person will lose 24 lbs in a year doing nothing else but taking the drug. i asked my doctor if he would let me have wellbutrin since the isde effects are lessor than that of topamax but he will only give me wellbutrin if i stop the zoloft. argh! topamax is a mood stabilizer so i can pretty much take that one but i am scared of it. i am scared of alomst every pill though. i have to talk myself into taking any pills for at least two weeks then i will ony take half of it. if that goes well i will take what was prescribed. anyway, i have been really depressed and have really been taking it out on food. i am sad because i am so overweight so i eat. doesn't make sense to me. but i have been trying to cut down over the last two days. guess i will see if it will work. zoloft relly makes you hungry. take care everybody. lots of love...tracy
Old 10-14-2005, 04:58 PM   #64  

Height: 5'4"

Hi! I actually lost a fair amount of weight while I was on Paxil. It was the first time in my life I made a concerted effort to lose weight, and I think the Paxil helped me deal with underlying depression, anxiety, and self-esteem issues that kept me from being successful in the past. (And now I'm pregnant and off it, and gaining more weight than I should be, but that's another story). I think I'm an emotional eater, and I just have more emotions when I'm off the Paxil! I'm getting back on as soon as I can (my doctor told me I shouldn't bother being off it anymore).
Old 10-15-2005, 05:40 AM   #65  
Super Star

Hi Ladies,

Was looking through forums to join and I saw this one. Wow I wish I had something like this 5 years ago when I gained 40 on all of those different meds. In finally went back to the doctor this week and he put me on effector(i think) He said that this should help and not gain weight. Anyone on the thread been on this?

I think it is a hard choice..but I made the wrong one by going off my meds for years...I never did lose the weight but I think mentally i was worn down.

All of you in your stories have so much wisdome! Thankd for starting this one!

Tracy
Old 10-15-2005, 09:43 AM   #66  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly2874
apparantly if you stop the drug within a day or two you will be back to normal.
I have to say, it took me about 10 - 14 days to get back to anything even approaching normal after being on Topomax for only 5 days (see my earlier post on page 2 or 3 of this thread for the charming side effects I suffered). Also, my weight loss stalled out for a month because I wasn't able to eat ANYTHING on Topomax and my body thought I was going into starvation mode.

I really hope that anyone who is considering Topomax in part (or mostly) because of the weight-loss effects seriously considers the risks and side effects. We all want to lose weight, but this drug is VERY scary. If you want to lose weight the "Topomax way," just stop eating. You'll get skinny plus save your liver, heart, memory, and ability to think straight.

(And before anyone jumps all over me, I KNOW it effects people differently -- but cruise around the internet a bit and see what some other people's experiences have been, too. If you take it, I hope it works for you -- and I hope you don't end up driving your car into a tree or something).
Old 10-15-2005, 10:05 AM   #67  
Super Star

I think it is really important that all sides are considered. And yes it does affect people differently. I applaud you for at least being honest. For there might be one person who is having side effects but does not know why. But equally it is helping others.

So again it is hard to take the differing opinion..but necessary. Thank you.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:26 PM   #68  

Hi Tracy

Well said . You asked about Effexor -- I've been on Effexor for years now. It has really been wonderful for me, plus no weight gain. Depakote is what did me in weight-wise .
Old 10-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #69  
Super Star

thanks! It has really made a difference..i know it takes weeks..but with the blood pressure meds. am super calm and eating less. was glad to know someone else has used it thank you lovebassets(which i love to hear bark those sweet gentle doggies!)
Old 10-18-2005, 02:56 PM   #70  

Hi lilly!!

Glad to see some activity on this thread again! I can't take zoloft. By the way, it's not additive - it's one of the few you can take and stop without any side effects. I've been on lithium before and it didn't turn me into a zombie. I didn't do well with wellbutrim XL at all. Made me fell antsy! Sorry to hear that you have really been depressed and have really been taking it out on food. So have I, for the past couple of days. My DH wanted this morning, so I ended up eating 2 egg McMuffins. I plan to print out my daily recipes on SlimFast and try to stick to it as much as possible, for the rest of the day, and drink water since I have to take my meds. I'm sad too because I am so overwight so I eat too. No, it doesn't make sense, but you are not alone. Zoloft never made me hungry. If I could stand the side effects, I would probably be back to my normal weight!

Hi Amy!! I've been on Paxil, but my old doctor took me off of it. Don't know if my new doctor plans on putting me back on it or not. Having trouble getting my records from my old doctor!

I think that I can agree that Paxil helped me deal with my underlying depression, anxiety, self esteem and OCD issues - I can't remember the last time I felt successful. If you're pregnant, why are you on any meds? It was hard, but when I had my kids, I was on nothing both times! I'm definitely an emotional eater.

Hi TallTracy!! Yes I am on Effexor right now. Glad you saw this forum! Glad that you are here!! Don't think that I could ever go off of my meds again..... The first thing that happens is that I go into withdarwal from my Xanax!

Glad that all of our stories have so much wisdom for you! Hang in there and post again real soon! Keep in touch!

Hi LoveBassets!! The way you describe Topomax is the way I felt when I was on Zoloft!

I used to be on Depakote too. But I'm not on it anymore either. so WHY DO I KEEP GAINING WEIGHT!!!!! I think that I need a good workout regime! Help!

Casper

Take care and lots of love back to you!

Love...Casper
Old 10-18-2005, 03:51 PM   #71  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy8888
(And now I'm pregnant and off it, and gaining more weight than I should be, but that's another story).
Casper, see above. I'm not on anything right now! Although the doctor told me it would be better to be on it than not if the anxiety and depression got bad enough.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #72  
Soon 2 B former fat chick

I loved wellbutrin! I didn't have any bad side effects on it and it really hepled me. I haven't been on it in awhile now, but if I ever have to be on anything again I would want it.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:19 PM   #73  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper5AXTSU76
[COLOR=Purple]I used to be on Depakote too. But I'm not on it anymore either. so WHY DO I KEEP GAINING WEIGHT!!!!! I think that I need a good workout regime! Help!

Hi Casper,

What kind of exercise are you doing now?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:37 PM   #74  

I have been on celexa, zoloft ,paxil, and effexor. i found that they all made me gain weight. this is over a period of 10 years. i have had a terrible time losing the weight. i found the cravings were out of control. i am trying to do a 1300 calorie a day plan and not surround myself with any unhealthy foods. i find it is taking the same willpower quitting smoking did. its hard but it is possible!
Old 10-18-2005, 06:58 PM   #75  
Super Star

Hey Gals..i think everyone's body is so different..thanks goodness they are so many new ones to try.

Babycaites..am so applauding YOU for giving up smoking..to me that is harder than losing weight so you are a hero!

Casper am glad to see you too how is your family problem doing now??Have not seen you journal in awhile

Amy i was on prozac with my second one as I developed the post partum depression inutero..sometime I wonder if some of my girls health problems came from that...but then again..i was seriosly emotinally in trouble. I commend you for putting your baby first.

Formerskinnychick..how great that you found something to help you.

Lovebassets are you doing any exercsie...??I need to walk...that has always 100 percent worked for me.

all for now..you all ..I am very glad you are sharing your stories..it is nice to know I am not alone.
Closed Thread