Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #136  
GG

Default Hello

Let me start first by saying I am glad you posted and next I am not a medical professional so I can only tell you what I think. First of all you have every right to feel the way you feel since you have many hardships at home. I think you need to talk to the adults around you and see if they can get you into talk to someone. I was depressed at your age and felt so alone. I did not have a computer to talk to anyone. It was awful. Also when I was young they did not have all the new meds. I missed my whole young life being depressed and I would hate for this to happen to you. Also you have many hard things to overcome at home. Still you need to start looking for the positives in your life and at home. Maybe start a hobby get involved in a group. They have groups for family members who have siblings that are autistic. Be the sunshine for everyone in your household. I know it is hard but you need to not waste your youth being sad. Make some goals start journaling and write back and let us know how you are doing. You did need to talk to a professional. GG
Old 01-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 194/192/145

Height: 5'3

Default Thanks for support-update

Thanks for all your support!
This is what I am doing to help myself:
I am on Zoloft
I have a therapist
I have joined 2 clubs Future Teachers of America and Interact (commuinty service)
I also joined Winter Track and the Student Dance Association at my highschool.

Hopefully all of these things can help me out of this hole we all call depression. Having a girl tell you she doesn;t want to be your friend anymore can make you go crazy and I think thats why I have been extra upset lately.

If any of you know of a support group for siblings of disabled kids please let me know!! I have been searching for a long time.

All of you are wonderful without this network of angels we have on 3FC I don't know If I would be able to lose weight and battle all of the crazy stuff that life throws!

Thank You All for Your Help
Old 01-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #138  

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG
I would give anything to lose.
would you though???
i say that too but when the crunch comes i reach for the comfort of the chocolate. i react to stress and i don't listen to my internal body signals that i am full

i am not saying you are like that but i just wonder, because if you would give anything you'd be exercising madly, going to a dietitian or nutritionist etc and i know i'm doing none of those things hehe i just do a bit here and there

the anti depressants do make it harder no doubt about it. they affect hormones and that affects weight. also have you had other things checked out? thyroid etc... good luck
Old 01-02-2006, 05:23 PM   #139  

kirstenelizabeth - wow at 14 you're going through a lot. well done for joining all those support groups and getting involved in things. that was one of the turning points for me. i set a goal to do one social activity each week and it really made a difference. i had to force myself as i didn't want to go anywhere or do anything but eventually i met people and started to smile and build connections

i am not sure about support groups. i guess you have tried the autism society? there must be something and if not perhaps you could start something by advertising in an autism newsletter or website. also suggest you go to yahoo groups and msn groups and search there. there are a lot of online groups there and probably something connected

CG i hope what i said didn't sound rude. i'm just thinking out loud. how i often swear i am going to change my life and not eat sugar (sugar highs and lows are a killer), do this do that but in the end i often let my mood dictate and don't do the necessary self care to lose weight.

i am also on celexa altho it is called cipramil over here. i have been on several antidepressants and this seems the best. altho venlafaxine (effexor) was also ok. i definitely notice when i stop taking it. for the first few days i am ok. after that bad news
Old 01-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #140  

kirsten there is also a chat group called mixednuts others here might find it useful too. you log on and if others are there you can chat live. is for depression and bipolar. very supportive people

i don't have the link anymore but if you google you will probably find it.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 194/192/145

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_pea
kirstenelizabeth - wow at 14 you're going through a lot. well done for joining all those support groups and getting involved in things. that was one of the turning points for me. i set a goal to do one social activity each week and it really made a difference. i had to force myself as i didn't want to go anywhere or do anything but eventually i met people and started to smile and build connections

i am not sure about support groups. i guess you have tried the autism society? there must be something and if not perhaps you could start something by advertising in an autism newsletter or website. also suggest you go to yahoo groups and msn groups and search there. there are a lot of online groups there and probably something connected

CG i hope what i said didn't sound rude. i'm just thinking out loud. how i often swear i am going to change my life and not eat sugar (sugar highs and lows are a killer), do this do that but in the end i often let my mood dictate and don't do the necessary self care to lose weight.

i am also on celexa altho it is called cipramil over here. i have been on several antidepressants and this seems the best. altho venlafaxine (effexor) was also ok. i definitely notice when i stop taking it. for the first few days i am ok. after that bad news
Thanks for the advice I will try those search engines and today I found a siblings penpal e-mail thing and I have e-mailed the person in charge of it. I think starting a support group in my area would be a really good idea. I am always looking for ways to help others and I would love to do something like that I think it would boast my mood to help others. I think I would like to start a club in my school for young girls against bullying because it is an issue everywhere. Your support is wonderful once again THANK YOU! I wish there were more people in the world like the ones on 3FC.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #142  

Post Re: Hi

Hi GG! I didn't get that you were an observer more than a writer. I'm glad that when you wrote the origianl post that you were depressed and decided to post - look at what a neat thread it became! Where would we go? I hope that you will try to do better. Glad to know that it does make you feel better coming here and talking to everyone. You are welcome.

SusanB, thanks for sharing.

Sweet_pea, Hi! Don't you just love relating to this thead? You sound a lot like me. you too, SusanB.

GG, re: You are so right, I want to be back at 130 too. I am at 175.5 right now. I would give anything to lose too.

Hi Kristen! I can't take Zoloft. I don't think that I qualify as a mentor or a weight loss buddy, but you can always feel free to PM me. I'm a great listener.

Casper
Old 01-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #143  

Kirsten, I know that there is an Autism Society here in D.C. One of my church menbers is the president of it and she has an autistic son. I'm sure that you can find some kind of support on the internet somewhere.

Casper
Old 01-03-2006, 08:22 PM   #144  

Hi,
I am fairly new here, haven't been here in a while. Anyway, I am on Zoloft and have gained 40 pounds in 2 years. I was thinner 5 years ago after giving birth to my third child. Thanks for all your information, I am calling my doctor tomorrow about going off of zoloft and taking wellbutrin.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:10 AM   #145  

Default celexa, citalopram, cipramil, lexapro

i have a friend who just started cipramil and gets nightmares. i get nightmares all the time but never linked it to my meds. i had a look and it did say abnormal dreams can be a side effect

has anyone else had this experience?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:27 AM   #146  
GG

Red face

Yeah they do cause bad dreams sometimes but it goes away.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #147  

not for me. i have been on the for at least 4 years. honestly could be a lot longer i have been on so many i lose track of time but the dreams never stop being "abnormal"

i like the "we shall succeed" i need to remind myself of that after last night's awful binge
Old 01-06-2006, 12:16 AM   #148  

have they tried to change you to a differant med. there alot of others and some can actually help with stress and not cause wt. gain.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:05 AM   #149  

i've been on heaps of different types but i have booked an apptmt with the doc to talk to her about changing it.

thanks!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #150  
GG

Hey all just checking in. This week has been rough because of Aunt Flo. All I want to do is eat. Also this is my most depressive week of the month. I hope everyone is doing well. Strange I haven't had weird dreams in awhile but last night I did.
Closed Thread