Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-18-2005, 12:11 AM   #1  
_hollywoodthin

Default Help

So I'm 15, and I have weight issues. I'm a little taller than 5'4 and I'm about 135. I want to get down to at least 118. I use to suffer from an eating disorder. I was bulimic for a period of my life. Everyone claims I'm not fat, but I don't believe them. Does anyone know and fast and good ways for someone my age to lose weight and to keep it off, and to improve my self esteem? Because of my weight issues I've gotten depressed lately. Even though my weight isn't the only issue I have, it's the one that is the hardest to fix. Everything else I've been dealing with somewhat. And so, how can I lose weight quickly and at least try to see myself the way everyone else does?
_hollywoodthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:22 AM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Hi there. I well remember being your age and thinking that I was terribly overweight. I am about an inch shorter than you and at that time about 5 lbs heavier. Even being about 15-20 lbs seems like a lot at that age. Now I know that it really isn't. Right now I am about 100 lbs overweight and I wish I was 15-20 lbs overweight. I don't want to make light of your feelings, they are completely valid. I also would not say that your are fat, okay because I know what fat really means now but it won't hurt you to get those few lbs off so that you can feel good about yourself. The question is that if you get down to your goal weight will you still feel fat? That is my concern. How your feel about yourself is not just numbers on the scale. It is how you think about yourself and this is where you seem to need some help. I think it would be worthwhile to visit your family dr and seek some help.

I can tell you that there is no fast and easy way to lose weight and keep it off. The best thing you can do is eat healthy and exercise regularly. Don't forget you may grow taller over the next year or 2 so you want to make sure your body is getting the nutrients it needs.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #3  
CIN

Good Morning Hollywoodthin,
That gave me a clue of what you want to be too! Hollywood "thin".
I checked with the Weight Watcher reference guide to setting goals. First of all to join Weight Watchers you have to be 17 or have a Doctors permission slip to even join. But I will share with you the weight range for the ages 17-25 is 134!!!!! EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE! So just for the record you are not officially overweight what-so-ever gal! This is based on age and height and complies with Body Mass Index. I hope this is a start to show you you are at a perfect weight acording to the "charts"! Personally that would make me feel delighted but I am 55 years old not 15~!

I am not making light of your "plight" but the advice already given was very wise. Sometimes we already know the answers but like to hear it from someone else!

Eating healthy ( we all know that mean including fruits,veggies, some protein,milk & water along with some grains ( breads)! Exercise is a key component also!

I think it is perfectly normal that you feel overweight because THIN is pushed "in our face" so much! I also think it is ok if you want to lose a little more as long as you do it in a healthful way!

Join our daily posts if you like. We have a group of loving and encouraging people here who would be happy to "talk" to you!

I think it is great you can post how you feel........talk to others (like your Mother) if she is willing to help. Look to encouraging people who truly care about you!

Until next time!
CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

Hey Hollywood:

maybe you feel *fat* because of inactivity? you can stay at your weight of 135 and lose inches and tighten up (look smaller) by exercise. Exercise also will boost your mood naturally and may give you a feeling of accomplishment.

good luck!
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:53 PM   #5  
_hollywoodthin

Talking to my mother is not the best of ideas. I mean yes I love my mother but she is always dieting and trying to lose weight and she tells me that I need to lose weight and she tells me I'm fat so she wouldn't do much good.

And I'm not inactive. I run at least once everyday. I enjoy going outside and playing sports. I love playing soccer. I play it all the time with my brother, in fact. So that is not a problem.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:03 AM   #6  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Well it seems to me that your mother's attitude about weight and weight loss has led to your distorted body image. It is terrible that she is saying that you are fat when in fact you are not. Probably she's had a problem with losing weight all her life and transferred her fears to you. I'm sure she doesn't want you to have the same problems with weight that she's had but what she's done has given you some self esteem issues. Have you seen someone in the past about your bulimia or did you over come that problem by yourself? You could talk to your family doctor or a school counsellor when you go back next term.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by _hollywoodthin
Talking to my mother is not the best of ideas. I mean yes I love my mother but she is always dieting and trying to lose weight and she tells me that I need to lose weight and she tells me I'm fat so she wouldn't do much good.

And I'm not inactive. I run at least once everyday. I enjoy going outside and playing sports. I love playing soccer. I play it all the time with my brother, in fact. So that is not a problem.
I'm so sorry your Mom has to be that way. Could it be that she is jealous of you? I mean you said she is always dieting and "trying" to lose, so maybe she gets her frustrations out on you by making you feel inadequate. The next time she says something to you about your weight, just walk away and smile, keeping in mind that you are PERFECT!!!

I was thinking the same thing Cin posted. You seem to be at the perfect weight and your NOT fat. If I had your figure I would just try to keep it healthy, eat right and keep on playing sports. I mean at 15, your body is going through some changes so don't do anything tramatic, just enjoy being 15 and enjoy the company of your brother.

BTW, hollywood thin is not perfect............. YOU ARE!!!

Hugs and Kisses to you !!
Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:34 PM   #8  
_hollywoodthin

I never saw anyone about my bulimia really. I had a friend who was very close to me and he told me he wanted me to stop because he couldn't handle loosing me. So I just stopped. Not all in one day, it took a while. But I did stop with him in mind. But he passed away last November and I turned back to bulimia for a while.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #9  
mmmm.. ice cream

S/C/G: 238/135/125

Height: 5'4"

how you feel about yourself is the most important thing, not how others see you. if you feel that you should lose weight, if i were you, i would just keep up with the exercise, avoid sodas/fast-food/etc. dieting can be harmful for teenagers, especially for those with a history of an e.d. you just need to be comfortable with you. try to focus on healthy living, not weight loss and dieting. good luck hun.
cadwell125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:55 PM   #10  
_hollywoodthin

Awww thanks