Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-06-2005, 02:24 AM   #1  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Default your Effexor XR experiences

Hello,

I've been taking Effexor for about 1.5 yrs, with doses varying between 37.5 and 112.5 mg. I dropped it cold turkey for several months, started again and recently went up to 150 mg.

I'm not sure whether Effexor is entirely responsible for my weight gain - overeating, depression and too large portions are probably the primary reason. But I'm wondering if taking Effexor has something to do with my weight gain, but especially with the difficulty in making the pounds go away?

I'd love to hear about others' experiences/views.
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:01 AM   #2  
Collie Mommie

I had problems (total lack of energy) with on Zoloft, so my Dr. changed my meds to Celexa, which stopped working after a year or so, and now I take 37.5 mg of Effexor. I have not found the Effexor to cause weight loss problems for me, but that does not mean that it is not affecting you differently. I was having a hugely difficult time losing weight on Zoloft, mainly b/c I had no energy at all and just wanted to hibernate. I think I slept about 16 hours a day when I was on it. My mother in law is taking Zoloft, and it is worrking wonders for her (she has a lot more energy that I ever did on it), so everyone is different.
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 242/199/160

Height: 5' 5"

Good Morning!

I've been taking Effexor XR for about a year now. I've gained 10# in the past year, but I believe that it's due to too many french fries! I NEVER order my own, but have quite a few of my dd's. I was on Celexa prior to the Effexor and I could have slept around the clock if I would have let myself. The Celexa also made me feel like an old lady. I had severe sciatica in my lower back & down my leg. I put on a ton of weight during this time also. I can thank the massage therapist for getting me off of it. I feel so much better since I'm off of Celexa.
I'm not 100% better on Effexor ER, but it's working better than the Celexa. One thing I've noticed with the Effexor ER is that if I forget to take it for a day or so I get severe headache's. Once I take it again, I get nautious for about a half a day or so. The Doctor said that it's in the opposite family as the Celexa. I hope this has helped you some. Take Care! *Jackie*
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:03 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Here's some previous posts (hope it helps):

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...hlight=Effexor
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #5  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

I've been on Effexor for about a year and haven't really connected that I might be having trouble losing weight because of it. I've been tested for everything else and maybe it's the effexor causing the problem. I know I gained weight when taking Depakote for bipolar. But taking it off has been a nightmare. I know I could lose weight before all the meds. I will really have to consider that. I don't know if that helped you any but I also agree that it doesn't do everything 100%. I think I felt better on Prozac. Thanks for bringing this up.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:44 PM   #6  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Thank you for the responses.
I did learn a bit. Still, it seems like Effexor experiences are very varied, no way to come up with a pattern or trend. So I really don't know what to do.
I'm taking 150 mg right now, which I don't think I can continue with - for one, I'll be travelling for a year (hard to take that much supply with me), and my student insurance will end, so I'll have to pay for it myself - and can't really afford it, even without the travel.
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote