Depression Articles

You're on Page 2 of 5
Go to
  • SunsetGirl NO I don't think you vented to much. Here's a big hug from me to you!!! I'm so sorry you had to go thru what you did as a child, its a darn shame. I don't understand why people do that sort of thing. I wish I could take ever child on this earth and give them a "normal" child hood. Just let them laugh and be kids, because we know as adults how hard life can be. I'm really sorry to hear about your parents passing, I lost my dad when I was 20. But my mom is still here w/me. I can not imagine losing her.

I'm so glad you got therapy and you are on your way to a healthy you.

I hear you on the easy fix for fast meals but you know something, fast food places are making really healthy choices now a days. The salads are wonderful and they are coming up with more of a selection. I see nothing wrong if DB wants FF, tell him to get you a salad instead of the burger & fries.

I also used to draw in my younger days in my teens and 20's that is and my best drawings were CARTOONS !!! I also love them, still do. Bugs Bunny is my favorite along w/the older cartoons, popeye, felix, merrie melody's, tom & jerry, etc.....

I'm glad you decided to post, if you'd like to chat, come visit us on the daily boards and don't worry about venting, we are all here to support each other.

Hugs and kisses to you !!!! You ROCK and you are a very strong woman, you are stronger then you know, trust me when I say that.

Leenie
  • Quote: Now I find myself looking back at what I learned while I was talking with my counselor almost everyday, remember to do something that I really enjoy (like playing a video game or sitting at the piano). I'm also very happy to say that my family and I get along much better than when I was living at home, I really look forward to seeing my parents and my two older sisters. I also have two nieces who have become the light of my life. I may have scars from my early years and they may never fade away but now I can look past them I suppose.

The most important thing to think is not that things can't get worse because they always can, it's just the way of the world, but that things can always get better.

Belldandy
    YOU GO GIRL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great advice !!!
  • Hi everyone, I'm back, I was here a long time ago, known as Ladypal, I want to return and talk again with everyone. Please refer to me as "peg". I'm looking to jump start a weight loss plan. I think Adking would be great, any one successful? what are you doing? I have been walking just about everyday, I might skip one or two days a week. I use hand weights, while I walk.

Talk again soon.
    Peg
  • Hey Peg,

Come join us on the daily threads, I'd hate for anyone to miss your posts here.

Hugs !!

Welcome back
  • Hey Peg,

I walk too! real walking and Leslie Sansone walking tapes! I love to walk!
    You might want to join us on the Exercise thread - we have a monthly walking thread going there, where we keep up with miles walked and it's fun to log it and be accountable.

It's at http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45987

take care,
    Cathy
  • Hi Leenie;

I didn't know if you'd remember me. I'm glad to be back, although, if I get called to work again for a long term assignment. It's hard to get in and post. The schools have a network system, at times I might be able to go on-line, but not for long.

Talk again later.

Peg
  • Thanks cathyxxx;

I will definitely give that a try. I too have Leslie Sansone tapes, I think I'll save them for when the weather gets too nasty and cold.

Yes! being accountable for miles walked will hep me soo much.

Thanks
  • I have SAD on top of being bipolar. My psychiatrist wanted me to get a lightbox last year and I didn't. It was too expensive and I didn't have the $$$. It was a miserable winter and I promised her and myself I would find the money this year. So, on Friday, I ordered my lightbox and I'm ready for winter. I will let you know how it goes. I researched a bit because I thought regular lights would work by having them all turned on. But that's not the case, so I ordered it. I'm looking forward to trying it and having a good winter.
  • It worked for me and it's about time to start using it again. I sit at the kitchen table, read, drink coffee and soak up the rays for an hour every morning from November to March.
  • Hi. First timer. I am a 55 post-menapausal women. I had a headache for 2 days, went to the Dr., was afraid of diabedies, it runs in my family. He took test and told me to do the South Beach diet. I went out & bought the book. After 8 days with no carbs I suffered terrible headaches & depression. I started eating carbs and the headache & depression went away. The same thing happened to me when I went 10 days w/o carbs on the Atkins diet. Has anyone else suffered these side effects?
  • Depression Articles
    Here is an article I just ran across on genes and depression.
    Thought I would share it with the gang.

http://www.healthyplace.com/communit...s_genetics.asp

Depression May Originate in Our Genes

(July 31, 2003) Once controversial, new research increasingly backs the notion that the seeds of depression lie in our genes. It's an insight that carries widespread implications for everything from treatment to insurance coverage.

A decade of experience with new anti-depressant drugs like Prozac has persuaded even the most staunchly Freudian of mental-health providers that depression is strongly rooted in our personal biology.

It has become accepted wisdom that some of us are born inherently prone to periods of dark and despondent feelings, no matter what our later life experiences, while others are armed to be psychologically more resilient. Now, scientists are increasingly confident that those biological differences are driven by specific genes.

The new research paradigm beginning to emerge aims to identify the potentially numerous and different genes believed to be involved in depression. Scientists then hope to figure out which of these genes play pivotal roles in a person's individual mental makeup and how life experiences conspire to trigger the disease.

Indeed, identifying the precise genes at work in depression has become one of the most sought after scientific prizes being pursued by genome researchers, partly because of how widespread depression is. The World Health Organization recently said depression is the fourth-leading cause of disease burden, which is defined as years patients must live with a disability. The WHO figures about 121 million people world-wide suffer from depression, and it estimates that depression will become the primary cause of disease burden world-wide by the year 2020.

Two studies reported this month help reinforce this emerging depression dogma. One report, from an international team led by University of Wisconsin researchers, offers reasons some people may be psychologically sturdier than others. Another report, from researchers at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, shows how scientists exploiting sophisticated new gene-hunting techniques are unmasking the precise genes that may help strengthen the argument that depression is a gene-based condition.

Wisconsin scientists and colleagues in Great Britain and New Zealand looked at how inheriting variations of one particular gene affected people's susceptibility to depression. The gene, called 5-HTT, is the focus of much scientific interest because it helps regulate the action of serotonin, one of several chemical neurotransmitters that carry signals between brain cells. Prozac-like drugs work by increasing the amount of serotonin that resides in between such cells, a change that apparently improves a person's ability to manage stressful feelings.

Recent research by the group and others found that some people inherit at least one short version of the 5-HTT gene, while others carry two longer versions. (Each of us inherits two copies of every gene, one from each parent. It is believed the protein chemicals made by a gene are often influenced by the makeup of both copies.)

Researchers looked at the mental-health status of 847 adult New Zealanders who experienced four traumatic events, such as a death, divorce or job loss, over a five-year period. They compared the behavior of those with one or two copies of the short version of the gene with those who had two copies of the long version. Only 17% of those with two copies of the long variant were diagnosed with depression, while 33% of those with the one or two of the short variants became depressed. Indeed, double-short-gene people were three times more likely to attempt or commit suicide than those with the long version.

Researchers in Pittsburgh used a different approach to unmask another susceptibility gene. Led by George Zubenko, the group looked at the DNA recently collected from 81 families in which a recurrent and major form of depression had been identified over many years of study. By scanning the family members' entire genome -- made easier because of new gene-sequencing data resulting from the human genome project -- the scientists found 19 different genetic regions that may contain genes involved in depression. The DNA sequences of those with a history of illness were consistently different in the 19 regions than the DNA sequences from the same areas taken from relatives who were disease free.

Unlike the gene-specific findings of the Wisconsin-led team, the Pittsburgh research may take many years to resolve. That's because the initial discovery suggests the disease may result from an interplay of some still-mysterious genes that reside within the 19 different DNA sites, Dr. Zubenko says.

However, Dr. Zubenko says, at least one gene, CREB1, by itself might not affect mental health but may regulate the activity of many of the other genes. Instead, Dr. Zubenko believes but has yet to prove, certain versions of CREB1 control the function of the other genes that likely make one more or less prone to depression and other mental-health maladies.

Like so many gene-based findings these days, the two new reports must be confirmed by others. In both instances, it will be years before the research leads to some practical applications. It may never make sense, ethically or medically, to use these and other gene findings to identify who among us is biologically at risk and who isn't.

But, right away, these studies indicate that genes are strongly associated with depression. That, in itself, is causing a major shift in how the disease is being studied. More and more, depression will be viewed as a biology-based medical disease that happens to affect the mind, much as diabetes affects the heart and kidneys, or arthritis affects the joints, rather than a psychological lapse within an individual's control.

Finding the biological underpinnings of depression is likely also to have a widespread impact on the economics of the disease. One of the most controversial aspects of mental health is that insurance plans rarely cover treatment for depression on the same basis as other health problems. Advocates for improved mental-health coverage are certain to use these scientific insights to argue that coverage ought to be more generous than it currently is.

Source: Wall Street Journal, Michael Waldholz
  • There is no question in my mind that the Freudian and personality theory psychiatrists have been wrong all along with reference to the origins of clinical depression. People are predisposed to it or not because of their genes, hence, their individual biological makeup. My family is a case in point. Bipolar disorder/depressive type runs through no less than 4 generations of my mother's family: Grandmother, mother, myslef, my daughters all suffer with varying degrees of this debilitating disorder. There are also features of schizophrenia in 3 generations of my family, both sides. I have always known intuitively, then definitvely, from research and personal experience that it is biological, physiological, organic. Personalities and childhood experiences are the factors that can make a predisposed person become clinically depressed. A person without the genetic make-up for depression can face almost insurmountable life challenges and never know what depression and anxiety are.

Thanks for re-printing this article. The stigma of depression lives on, unfortunately. But equipped with the information in this article, patients should feel a sense a hope and a willingness to deal with an organic problem appropriately: with medication, behavior modifcation, and therapy.
  • Hi Lettergirl, and welcome to 3FC's

I can honestly say, when I was on atkins I never felt better, it seems as though my depression was almost gone last winter and thats when I usually have it the worst, so I can not say I experienced the same as you w/low carb. I'm sorry you did experience the things you said. I would say talk to your doctor and tell him/her what happened, only he/she can suggest what would be good for you and your condition.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Hugs, Leenie
  • Great Article !!

I also believe it is in our genes. Just like other mental conditions that are hereditary, such as ADHD or ADD. Both depression and ADHD are a factor in my family and the older I get the more I am realizing this (because I am aware of the symptoms).

Thanks, Leenie
  • I agree gang - I KNOW BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT - it is in the genes.

I hope this kind of stuff eventually removes the stigma!