Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-10-2004, 05:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256.5/256/???

Height: 5 ft 4

Default Friday 10th Sept CHAT

morning all. I hope it's not too presumptious for a newbie like me to start the day's thread hope everyone's doing good, I have coffee if anyone wants some

This week has been a good one for me. Friday's my weigh in day and I've lost 2lb and I feel in control of my eating and motivated to exercise. My doctor always reminds me to take exercise for my depression, as well as for my physical health, and it seems like she's right. Regular exercise does seem to improve my mood.

And of course, I found this place and have moved right in and made myself at home

Hope everyone's having a good Friday
clarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:17 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Clarrie and The Gang,

Newbie, Oldie, what ever you are, feel free to start the threads, it really helps me out thats for sure. WOWOW 2 lbs, you go girl !!! I'm very proud of you.

Well I'm not in work today, we are taking dd on a trip to the Zoo so I really must run to get us both in the shower and on the road.

Have a wonderful Friday !!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Gang!

I've got to get payroll done before people start hoovering over my desk looking for money. :-) but wanted to check in here first.

Joanne - it was so good to see a post from you yesterday! I hope you'll be able to chat with us more often. I'm so sorry for the things that are going on in your life. I will be praying for you! great big hugs!

SueMarie - I'm so glad that you've got some doctor's appts scheduled for Brit. It does sound like some sort of anxieties, and if so, they will definitely be able to help her. My son deals with a lot of anxieties and is on meds and sees a Christian counselor. If I can be of any help in any way, or even if you just need to talk, you know where to find me. ;-)

Leenie bo Beenie - I hope ya'll have a WONDERFUL time at the zoo! what fun! hugs!

Clarrie - WOW congrats! 2 lbs lost this week! that's AWESOME! you go girl!

We have a home football game tonight, so that is our plans for tonight. Tomorrow is cleaning the house.

Hope everybody has a blessed day!

hugs,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey Hey Hey
I get a daily devotional from youthbuilders.com This one really spoke to me today, and I wondered if it would be ok if I copied it and posted it here. Hope it touches someone.

"God Uses Imperfect People
Author: Jim Liebelt

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are – yet was without sin." Hebrews 4:15 (NIV)

A youth worker recently shared about her ongoing struggle with a life-dominating problem she experiences. Of note, was her own perception that this struggle has blocked her ability to know God and that until she conquers the problem God won’t allow her to be effective in ministry. As I read her story, sadness fell over me, as her struggle is not uncommon. All too frequently, committed Christ-followers believe that God won’t reveal himself or use anyone who doesn’t have life “all together”.

An important question: Do you believe that God expects perfection from his followers?

One of my favorite encouraging stories in the Gospels, is the story of Jesus and Peter, after Jesus’ resurrection. The story takes place on the beach along the sea of Tiberias. Peter has seriously let Jesus down over the recent days – running away from Jesus at his time of greatest need and repeatedly denying he even knew Jesus. At their breakfast beach meeting, Jesus had every right to tell Peter, “I love you, but you let me down. I can’t trust you anymore.” Who among us would have blamed him? But Jesus did just the opposite. He gives Peter responsibility, “Feed my sheep.” Peter was far from perfect. Peter was anything but the poster-boy for having it “all together”. Yet, Jesus not only revealed himself personally to Peter, but He gave him authority to minister to others.

While God’s people are to pursue holiness - none of us is perfect and we all struggle with sin's grip on our lives. (See 1 John 1:8.) Yet, we need to embrace ourselves as we are: both saint and sinner - with strengths and weaknesses; successes and failures; victories and defeats. When we acknowledge our brokenness, struggles and our need for God, He will use us. When we embrace our weaknesses as part of who we are, and put our confidence in Christ's work in our lives, He will use us – struggles and all.

Rather than wallowing in the mire of self-condemnation today, receive this encouragement from Scripture: "But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me... for when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (NIV)."

hugs,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:36 AM   #5  
CIN

Default Wow Cathy!

Hi Gals
Wow Cathy......thanks for that insight.............it was good for me!(and others)

Hubby & I walked a good walk at a good "clip" today...have loads of errands to run but first must chop up about 12 green & red peppers I bought on sale.....they are so good with onions in stir fry....I love to have some in the freezer for winter! (instead of winter produce prices) Wow.....................I feel like "Suzy Homemaker" when I do things like that!

I traveled 148 miles for 2 meetings yesterday...hubby had my car and had a fender bender (literally) so since it is her fault I get a new fender!
Wonder why that makes me happy? I already had a crunch in it that was my fault and chose not to get it fixed....now I can .......hubby said it has nothing to do with where she hit....cause it was on the other side of the car.

Just glad he was ok.................and in my car and not his!

BBL
Cin
CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:12 AM   #6  

HI everyone!

It has been a kinda of all over there week! I worked one night shift and it wiped me out yesterday.........my GI system gets all out of sorts when I stay up all night.

Have a great day everyone.....not much to add right now.

Eliz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #7  

It's been an interesting week. My DD was sick since the weekend and on Wednesday her DH phoned my DH for help. DD had passed out twice and he wanted to take her to the hospital. Good thing too as she was terribly dehydrated. They put three liters of fluids into her and sent her home with medication. She has a viral infection and a bladder infection. She still, as of yesterday, could not keep even water or pedialite (sp?) in her. Am waiting to hear from her as I think that she will be in the hospital soon.

Nothing much else going on here. Can't go upstairs today - there is no bathroom up there and it seems that I ate something that didn't agree. I guess I'll stay here and bug Roger since he is telecommuting today.

This sunday is Children's Christian Ed Day and the third graders get their own Bibles. we're having a Potluck and then Pastor Chris will be starting Bible Class. He is so unique in his manner of teaching. Never boring at all. (And did I say he is VERY good looking!)
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #8  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hi Everyone!

Homebound – Hi there!

Liz – Yes… definitely think the party was planned well… will only know if it’s a success come Saturday hehehehe… I think I might have gone over board with the planning tho LOL! It’s always fun to throw a kids birthday party, specially when yer a big kid yourself!

Clarrie – Hi there! Congrats on the 2lbs lost! I suffer from depression also, but I haven’t been to a doctor to have it diagnosed or anything. It used to be really bad, but you are right, once I started to “attempt” exercise and got that going, as well as, finding all these wonderful ladies here, I haven’t had a bad depression spell in a long time. I’ve had my ups and downs, but they have been no where near the magnitude that my depression usually is at.

Cathy – Hi there… well at least I know someone who is dealing with this like we will be. I’ll definitely drop a line or two with you if I have any questions. We are really hoping to avoid medication… I was hoping if I could find a good yoga video or meditation video and that maybe she and I could do that and she would be able to find relaxation techniques that could help her calm those inner demons. A breathing technique I found on the net helped some with her feeling of nausea when she gets worked up about things. Is this something your son goes through? She starts to over worry about things happening and then she gets all worked up and gets sick to her stomach. Thank you for sharing that story with us as well… I always thought God wanted a perfect person, which is why he gave us a chance to repent our sins, but I guess I wasn’t looking at the whole picture. Thank you.

CIN – Hi there… ooh pepper bells YUM! My grandmother gave me a recipe a long time ago, which you roast the pepers in the oven, then toss them in a brown bag as the somewhat cool down. They you peel the skin off them and you core the seeds out and slice them thin and then you put them in a pan and heat them in some tomato sauce. They make great sandwhich toppers hehehe… I personally like to stuff them with chopped onions, mushrooms, ground turkey, rice and a little tomato sauce… hmmm I need to go buy some peppers now hehehe…

Tippy – I’m sorry to hear about your DD. I will keep her in my prayers and please let us know how she is doing

Looks like everyone has had an eventful past few days and are out and about. Brit asked me to make up a game for her party that required her friends to stick their face in chocolate pudding in attempts to fish out gummy worms I’m scared now… because even I think that’s something I would do I’m still thinking about it hehehe but the plans for the party seem to be going well right now…. I’ve gotta run off to work, I’ll catch up with you ladies later!

Take care and have a good day!
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:57 PM   #9  
Walking by faith

Smile

Thanks so much for the welcome back It's good to be here again!

Cathy: Thanks so much for sharing that devotional. God is good-all the time!

CIN: Hope your car is fixed soon-and glad your hubby is o.k.

Tippy: Hope your DD will be well soon-hope you'll be feeling better too!

Sue Marie: Good to see you again

Clarrie: This is a great site-I'm glad you're enjoying being a part of the group

Liz: Get some rest!

Leenie: Enjoy your day at the zoo!

Tomorrow we're going to visit our son. I've seen him once since I've been home (visiting hours are only on Saturdays) . I don't know how long he'll be in jail (he was charged with burglary), but he's using the time to take classes for his GED. He's also joined a Christian 12 step program called "Celebrate Recovery". I'm praying that God will use this time to heal him and break his rebellious spirit (thanks again for sharing Cath!)

Please keep us in prayer here in NE Florida and SE Georgia. Ivan looks like he's headed this way

P.S. Good news-since my first surgery, I've lost approximately 20-25 lbs! I'm working on eating healthy and watching my portions-so far, so good
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 02:57 PM   #10  

Congrats Joanne! The weight loss is a huge victory I am sure~

Tip hope dd is well soon.....these things can really throw you for a loop.

Have a good one everyone.

Eliz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote