Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-10-2004, 11:30 PM   #1  

Unhappy I'm still unhappy

I'm a 16 year old girl, (5'5'' tall) and last year my highest weight was 204, but I immediately started a diet once I found that out. I got to about 175 in a few months, and then stopped dieting. I maintained the majority of that loss for about 6 months, I gained a couple pounds. Then I decided I wanted to diet again. That was around the beginning of April. I now weigh 142, which is healthy according to my BMI. But my personal goal is to get to 125 pounds. Lately I've been thinking though... I know people say that being thin feels better than eating food does. And I know I have more confidence and I look alot better, but I'm still unhappy most of the time. When I diet I am tired hungry and irratable. I just wish I could enjoy myself after working so hard, but I still feel bad... Any advice?
RainCloud88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #2  

I'm betting that you are not eating the right foods.

Eat large salads filled with fresh raw veggies and low fat dressing. Drink milk!
Munch on fruit. Take a multi vitamin pill. Drink 8 glasses of water.

Starvation is not the answer.
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:30 AM   #3  
CIN

Dear Raincloud,
First of all Congrats on your accomplishment thus far.........you have done something many cannot do period! Give yourself some applause girl! I mean it!

Now..........if the thought of dieting turns your mood like that...how about taking it slow and easy and being happy with all the small changes you are making! Do not be real ridgid! Relax.......you know how to lose..........just contine making small changes...that is what is about..Lifestyle changes take a long time!

Enjoy what you have accomplished so far..................take a breather....pay attention to all the things you are doing right instead of mistakes!

And last but most important. Happiness is a choice and a state of mind.Choose to be happy...........being happy has nothing to do with what we weigh.

I hope this is an encouragement to you because I am proud of what you have done and I dont even know you!

Sincerely
Cin
CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:17 PM   #4  

Wink To Rain Cloud - CIN is right!

When I was 16 (about 100 years ago), Twiggy was in vogue. She was a super thin model with toothpick arms and legs, sunken eyes, and hollow cheek bones. Oh yes, every girl in my high school wanted to look like her - including me. Through absolute idiocy, I attained that "goal." Did it make me happy? No. Did I feel better about myself? No. If I'd only used some common sense and changed my attitudes toward food and eaten three healthy meals a day, I wouldn't have spent the last 37 years on again - off again dieting! CIN is right. It's hard to be patient when you want to be trim and fit right away, but well worth it when the weight stays off for good. Good luck and keep us informed!
2stubborn2giveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:04 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

WOWOWOW congratulations on all your weight loss !!! thats fantastic, I hope you are proud of yourself. Bet you look hot !!!

One thing I would say is if you exercise, you can eat more. Thats one option and I would highly recommend exercising, its just good for you ! Secondly, what Tippy said, eat large salads, veggies galore !!! they are low in calories and healthy to boot. It does a body really good and you can't go wrong. There are many ways to cook healthy tasty veggies, do you like stir fry? well there's one, just watch the oil you put in. Cook that w/some chicken and viola !! If your hungry and want to snack, you can make a low fat/calorie dip and get some raw veggies and enjoy that. Don't think of healthy food as punishment, think of it as you are doing your body good by loving it and giving it some healthy stuff. You can enjoy treats but keep them as far spread out as possible, try to make good choices. And if you want to have cake, take a couple of bites instead of the entire piece. Eat slow and savor the taste.

I'm really happy for you that you have done so good w/your weight loss.

Oh one more thing....drink lots of water, not only is it good for you, it helps curb your hunger (stay away from sugary soda's and juices that really arent juice).

Let us know how you are doing okay !!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 04:24 PM   #6  

Exclamation update

Almost three weeks ago I went on a 10 day vacation. I left with my family on a Friday. During the week before we went on vacation, I stayed on my diet on Monday and Tuesday. But then I thought, if I keep dieting Wednesday and Thursday, I'll just lose a pound tops. So, I relaxed those days. Then, I went on vacation Friday-Sunday... 10 days. When I go on vacation, I eat like whatever I want, which is good and bad at the same time... It's good because it is a vacation after all. But, I know I should try to watch what I eat. But in my family, food is glorified, and if it wasn't, then I prolly would have never had a weight problem to begin with. Anyway, the Monday after I got home, I started my diet again full force, and I didn't work up the nerve to weigh myself until Friday and I weighed 149.5! (The Sunday before I went on vacation i was 142... then when I weighed myself on the Wednesday before I left, I weighed 144.5 and I wasn't really sure why) By Sunday, I got to 147.5. I haven't weighed myself since then, and I will tomorrow. I'm not sure if I gained 5-7 lbs of actual fat, or if some of it was water weight. It doesn't matter, cuz I'm working my butt off now, literally. Today has been a rough day though, I'm just feeling really down. I'm trying to keep my head up, but I feel like crap. I have like no energy today, probably cuz I went with a HUGE walk with my friend last night. O well... later
Old 09-02-2004, 09:54 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Don't forget if you are getting your period you can gain a few pounds of water and women tend to fluctuate alot during the month.

Don't give up !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:31 AM   #8  

HI Raincloud!

Being 16 isn't easy especially in 2004! I admire you for having so much insight and opening up to others......not an easy thing for anyone to do.

Are you following with your GP...sometimes your feelings are out of control and with hormones and all the stresses of being 16 sometimes you need outside support from your doctor or someone else......it isn't always as easy as deciding to be happy.

Hang in there rain and keep in touch......you have done some great things and I am sure there is lots of greatness ahead for you!

xoEliz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:48 PM   #9  

Thanks for the replies everyone! What does GP mean Liz?
Old 09-03-2004, 03:57 PM   #10  

GP means General Practioner......your doctor.
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 04:23 PM   #11  

Ohh ok thanks. Well, I haven't gone to my doctor in like a year almost, but I am going to go sometime in October for a flu shot. I've never really consulted a doctor at all about dieting, I just read alot of stuff either online or in magazines/books.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:40 PM   #12  

Being happy is a choice we make. We can be unhappy or happy in whatever situation we are in.

I suspect that you are obsessing about yur weight far too much. A varience of weight of a few pounds is nothing to be happy or unhappy about.

Being at your goal weight will not make you forever happy. Things will happen that will upset uou then just as now.
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:04 AM   #13  
mom2_5

Quote:
Being happy is a choice we make. We can be unhappy or happy in whatever situation we are in.
I'm not so sure that is true.

I have spent many years of my life wondering when I would be happy. I had it all, what was wrong with me. It cost me a marriage of 16 yrs to a great guy. I am now doing so much better and my thoughts are more focused due to an anti-depressant. Thank god! This is not the answer for everyone but it has made my life easier and much happier. Talk to your doctor and see what the best thing is for you.

You are doing great just hang in there!!

sw/230 cw/210 gw/140
wildblue_yonder is offline   Reply With Quote