3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Depression and Weight Issues

Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Zoloft Question

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2003, 10:04 PM   #1

Question Zoloft Question

Hi there!
I will be starting Zoloft tomorrow and I was wondering if those who have or are taking it can share their stories regarding their weight loss while taking the med.

I have taken Prozac in the past...and struggled with weight loss...still felt the need to over eat.

I believe I have PPD...but not that bad, or at least not as bad as it was after having my first baby.

I'm 9 weeks postpartum
Sarah 33 LTM
After having 2 babies I'm trying to get back to goal!
Starting Weight 197
Current Weight 197
Goal 135
Old 09-07-2003, 11:39 AM   #2

Send a PM to DNW I think she might be able to help. Let me know how the Zoloft goes, I think I am ready to go on something stronger than my Prozac.

Miss Chris
bljeghbe' chugh vaj blHegh- Klingon for Surrender or Die

Weight Jan 2006- 257 lbs
Current weight-202.8 (5'7 1/2)
Goal weight-155 lbs.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:23 AM   #3

I have been on zoloft on and off for several years and I don't feel that it has any effect on my weight loss at all. My lifestyle habits are the only obstacles in weight loss for me. It works wonders with my depression though.
Mini Goal is 60 pounds down by 05/26/06.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:52 PM   #4

Hi, sadly I have taken Zoloft for around 7 years, it does wonders for depression, but for some reason I have gained a lot of weight since being on it. It seems that getting rid of my depression increased my appetite. It also has made me very lethargic which takes away my energy to exercise. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from taking it. These side effects may not happen to others. Just had to share my experience. Happy day!!
Old 09-12-2003, 12:57 PM   #5

I gained weight on Zoloft. I was on very high doses for obsessive compulsive disorder though. I'm not aware of the weight gain on average doses though. If and when you stop taking the Zoloft, be very slow and careful. The withdrawl is horrible. If your doctor tapers you off slowly, you will be okay. My doctor switched me to a newer antidepressant similar to Zoloft called Lexapro. It has less side effects and actually works better. I'd suggest asking your doctor if that would work for you. It's a lot better tolerated than Zoloft. Jenn
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.