Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #1  

Default weigh gain from ssri

Hello, New to this site. im looking for some feedback, advise. ive been prescribed WELLBUTRIN due to weigh gain and motivation lack of energy from taking Lexapro for the last 8 months. So I started to wellbutrin about 4 weeks ago up to 300mg and have slowly weaned off the Lexapro. Question is am I expecting a miracle to happen. My diet is in check im a at the gym back to my workout routine. I was a very physically active person who was in great shape. Since I went through some personal issues last year that resulted me to take Lexapro. My body did a 360. am I expecting to much to fast. Just want to start to see some results. If im doing everything by the book as far as diet and exercise will the weight gain from Lexapro come off. or is this going to stick to me like glue. cause that what it feels like right now
ls78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #2  
Fishing for a plan!

S/C/G: 225/225/155

Height: 5'8"

Hello Is:

I took Paxil (SSRI) for 6 months 17 years ago and gained 50 pounds. I was able to lose it by going completely off of antidepressants and doing the low carb "Atkins Diet". I did try Wellbutrin a few years ago after I began to gain weight, I didn't lose any weight, and I became sort of "twitchy" when I was taking it, so I quit. Maybe the twitching burns calories and I would have lost weight had I stayed with it! I have taken many different antidepressants over the years, but none of them have impacted my weight the way Paxil did. I am in my mid-fifties now, and the Atkins Diet no longer works for me. I lose weight, but become so exhausted that I can't even climb a flight of stairs. This has happened the last three times I've tried it. I know that I have an untreated underlying depression, but I also know that throwing a pill at it hasn't helped me. I've been on Pamelor, Paxil, Zoloft and Wellbutrin. I've also been on Xanax and Ativan for anxiety on and off. I am not taking any medication now and am determined to fight the good fight by the grace of God. I know binge eating has been my way to throw food at depression and anxiety. I have found that walking and eating a whole food type diet, as well as reading the bible and other Christian literature has helped my depression and anxiety more in the past than any medication did. I am considering trying 5-htp, vitamin D and fish oil supplements. 5-htp is supposed to help with binge cravings. Someone at work saw it on Dr. Oz and told me about it. I'm skeptical of supplements since they aren't regulated by the FDA, but I am leaning that way.

So, that is my story. I'm certainly not encouraging you to stop your Wellbutrin. Just sharing my own experience. My husband took it once in an effort to quit smoking, as it is marketed for that as well. Oddly enough, he told me one day, "you know, honey, I just don't want Mountain Dew anymore" (he drank a 12 pack a day for years and years), but it didn't do a thing for his smoking!

Good luck and God bless!
LurchMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #3  

I too had to stop Lexapro. Not only did I want to eat all the time, it made me tired beyond words. Actually had 2 fender benders were I drifted asleep at a stop light. Fortunately no damage to cars or people, but it just wasn’t worth it. Went back to Wellbutrin and Atavan if the anxiety got to me. Slowly feeling less hungry, but not all the way yet.
tcstart is offline   Reply With Quote