Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #1  

Unhappy Depression

Hi. I recently started Weight Watchers, and in my first week I lost 8 pounds (257 to 245) and I was so excited about it. But then in my second week, I got this mindset that I needed to do more, and when I didn't lose another 8 pounds, I went into a depression. I've been diagnosed with moderate depression and moderate anxiety from moving away for college about three years ago, and now that I moved back home I've been pretty okay. But with the obsession that I needed to constantly hit that 8 pounds a week, when I didn't I stopped everything. I stopped working out, keeping track of my food, and didn't care if I had four slices of pizza. I now weigh 251 but I'm so embarrassed and depressed that I didn't make my goal that I don't show up to meetings, I don't get weighed like I should and I just don't care anymore. Has anyone else felt like this? I want to get better and get motivated again, but one slip up makes me feel like I'm a failure and I don't know how to get past that.
frenchfrey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

Hey there Frenchfrey

I am guessing from your post this is the first time you've used a diet program where you lose a lot the first week. That can be a very heady experience and you get super excited and start calculating how much you can lose in so many weeks - but that weight loss is not going to happen every week. You did nothing wrong.

Look - all of us have messed up, fallen off the wagon, didn't follow diets to the letter... it happens - it's life. And I am sure that no one in that room is going to judge you. What helps me is that when I fall of my program, I say okay - that wasn't a great idea. But the beauty is that you get a clean slate and get to start all over again with the next meal.

Losing weight is going to be a series of highs and lows - emotionally and physically - but don't give up. Brush yourself off and say okay - I showed myself that I am completely capable of following this program and it works! The numbers will vary each week - they really will. But if you keep following the program you've set for yourself, you will see results. That I can promise you.

I can proudly say I am a loser (of weight) and a quiter (of cigarettes). You can do this. I believe in you.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #3  

Everyone has their own ideas when it comes to weight loss and dieting. Dieting tips such as portioning what you eat, not eating late at night, carb counting and more. All of these tips are good ideas, but some may work differently on different people. Some people have a high metabolism and some have low ones. Diets should be chosen based on personal needs and certain circumstances might be present to send you away from one diet to another.
Mara40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #4  

Everyone goes through depression so long as they live long enough. Keep your head up and talk about it. I believe that helps.
ionbattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:15 AM   #5  

I think we need to visit to weight control center or consultant who will guide us about proper nutrients and exercise
smithwilliamsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #6  

The answer to most of your questions are likely to be found in your early environment. Early life trauma are frequently at the bottom of obesity and depression.
Mrs. Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:22 AM   #7  

Just push on and take it one day at a time. I can't count the many times I wanted to quit but I thought to myself - "you're going to die if you don't exercise, think about your kids"
raftcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:01 AM   #8  

Hi there, I think you should follow diet guide.
lisawarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfrey_ View Post
Hi. I recently started Weight Watchers, and in my first week I lost 8 pounds (257 to 245) and I was so excited about it. But then in my second week, I got this mindset that I needed to do more, and when I didn't lose another 8 pounds, I went into a depression. I've been diagnosed with moderate depression and moderate anxiety from moving away for college about three years ago, and now that I moved back home I've been pretty okay. But with the obsession that I needed to constantly hit that 8 pounds a week, when I didn't I stopped everything. I stopped working out, keeping track of my food, and didn't care if I had four slices of pizza. I now weigh 251 but I'm so embarrassed and depressed that I didn't make my goal that I don't show up to meetings, I don't get weighed like I should and I just don't care anymore. Has anyone else felt like this? I want to get better and get motivated again, but one slip up makes me feel like I'm a failure and I don't know how to get past that.
I was just on WW online and didn't try hard enough, just wasting $$ for 3 months, back and forth with same 3 lbs.
Arlsmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #10  

Hey there Frenchfrey

I am guessing from your post this is the first time you've used a diet program where you lose a lot the first week. That can be a very heady experience and you get super excited and start calculating how much you can lose in so many weeks - but that weight loss is not going to happen every week. You did nothing wrong.
Mariya203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisawarren View Post
lisawarren is right, follow the diet guide
Emma_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'4"

It is alright I promise. first thing first, being healthy and fit is a lifestyle not a diet. The life style you are creating will be long term. Keep focus on your goals each day and have an image in your mind about you r future goal, but don't feel overwhelmed. Most peoples bodies drops a ton of weight a first when starting to decrease body fat, first goes water then fat but to assist that fat leaving your body you need a calorie deficit and water to help get rid of it. One mistake does not define you.... when you choose to continue these bad habits then that's the issue. You make a mistake, forgive yourself and then move on. You can't change your past and the only time you can take control of your future is when you take control in that very moment you are in. Get back in there and Get going. You are the only person that can change your life, yes all of us on here can inspire you but its you beautiful! After a huge weight drop your body will panic and make you loose less, thats why you have to make this a long term goal. again, one day at a time. Show the other woman you are brave enough to know you made a mistake and you are strong enough to admit it but work even harder to make an even better choice the next time.
Strong.Beautiful23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:28 AM   #13  
banned

foods with high sugar make me feel better when it happens, but only briefly
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisawarren View Post
He is right, follow the right diet guide.
Emma_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:07 AM   #15  

It's quite common to lose less weight when the program on the run. Take it easy and just insist on diet and working out, you will get your goal finally.
Aliana.H is offline   Reply With Quote