Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-17-2016, 01:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/238/135

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy no motivation to lose weight anymore...

I've been on anti-psychotic medications for years now, and I can't believe I've gained 100+ pounds in that period of time. I can barely look at myself in the mirror anymore.

Because I've gained so much weight, it makes me believe I can't lose the weight because it's so much! Every time i lose 10 pounds I give up and gain back even more.

I'm beyond depressed about this, I feel like I'm also addicted to food now because I am constantly hungry but "healthy" food does not seem to satisfy me like rich foods.

Can anyone give me advice to start a weight loss regime? I feel like I am lost.
afatunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #2  

Hey, weight loss is a LIFESTYLE change. So no diet is going to help you lose weight and keep it off. There's no need to rush into this, but start small and build up. For example, do a 30 minute walk everyday straight after a meal. When this gets easier, UP your exercise. People fail because they get into dieting and exercising too quickly and lose motivation. I recommend you start small, then workout yourself up once it gets easier. Hope this helps
JamieAlison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

^^^ ditto. I've found that small changes in diet leads to a full blown lifestyle change eventually....at least for me it did. Remember, it took awhile to gain the weight. It's going to take awhile to lose it. It has taken me twelve months to lose a little over forty pounds. It can be done.
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I wish you the very best. I've been there. I started with small changes and started exercising in the water because it was very difficult for me to walk. After many years, I'm still not at my ideal weight but I just try to focus on regaining. I've gotten used to the healthier foods. When I gave up sugar I quit being hungry all the time- I did have a few weeks of serious withdrawals, though.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #5  

You dont need to eat "healthy" to lose weight. The only thing you need to do to lose weight is to eat at a caloric deficit. Find your maintenance calories, and start off by eating 500 calories below that. That means you can eat whatever you want as long as you eat at a caloric deficit you WILL lose weight. No need to starve yourself or eat salads all day.
yummynood1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 387/361/155

Height: 5'2

Motivation doesn't play into it. Realistically, I don't think there are many of us who are enthusiastic about it. It takes action. As was mentioned above, go for a walk. You don't have to want to do it. You can make all the excuses you want. Simply get up and do it. Get it over with for the day. Make small dietary changes. Ditch the soda or switch full-sugar for diet.
Swinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #7  

Height: 6-1.5

I need to lose 150 lbs, and like you, I have tried all the diets. On the other hand, looking at it truthfully, I cheated most of the time, and I am also on depression medication, so I know how you feel. I started low fat/ High fiber vegan, and I am losing serious weight. I have gone this way because I have been gradually shifting this way anyway. I was a vegetarian for about 6 years before. I ate a lot of dairy, and I feel that was my undoing, diet wise. Cream on everything, a handful of cheese on everything, & deep frying everything. I had to look at this honestly and tell myself that this was the reason my diet was not working. The big thing I had to remove totally from my diet was dairy and added oils, and the highly saturated fat found in meat.

Why the Vegan, and aren't those people crazy? Well, you can also call it Mcdougall, or Ornish, or Esselstein. You can listen to lectures about health and diet from these (real) medical doctors on Youtube if you want to check them out. The additional "layer" of social responsibility in the Vegan diet keeps me committed to it. Other diets were about how good I looked, this is more of a relationship with the environment, and the world which enters into all decisions I make. That makes it more unlikely that I will just quit.

Last edited by giselley; 06-27-2016 at 08:51 AM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #8  

Default Ugh

For the last couple years I have been trying to lose weight. But no weight has came off. I feel like I just want to give up. I could eat healthy and excercise but no pounds come off. I feel like a failure sometimes. And I just feel like giving up. And I do end up giving up.
notmotivatedanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #9  

wow I sure can relate to what you,afatunicorn (love any name with unicorn in it) and also notmotivatedanymore wrote. So many times in my life I tried to diet. To no avail. The motivation was just not as great as the emotional intense need for food.

I wish I had a great suggestion for you. I think I ended up having success working with a naturopath. The person helped me to get healthy. And to discern the best foods to eat. Because she was covered by my insurance, I could work with her every couple of weeks. That's what helped me. I hope you can soon find what works for you. And I am sorry you are going through this. I do know the dilemma and pain of it all.

Last edited by flower123; 02-07-2017 at 08:01 PM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #10  

Everyone has their own ideas when it comes to weight loss and dieting. Dieting tips such as portioning what you eat, not eating late at night, carb counting and more. All of these tips are good ideas, but some may work differently on different people. Some people have a high metabolism and some have low ones. Diets should be chosen based on personal needs and certain circumstances might be present to send you away from one diet to another.
Mara40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:27 AM   #11  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

It's not starting, it's sticking to it that matters. Sounds like you have started and know how to start and how to achieve that first 10 lb loss. But you need to learn to motivate yourself beyond that point. Motivation can be really hard. I'm struggling with it, too, but I've come too far to give up now. Because I am struggling, my plan is not to bring things into the house that will overcome my willpower. Sweets were a weakness of mine over Easter- so no more sweets in the house! And the weather is getting nicer and so I want to get out hiking again- the one great thing about hiking is it's a form of exercise that I love. So I don't mind doing it, for hours.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:26 AM   #12  

I would suggest you to eat healthy and nutritious.
ChristinaBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #13  
Doing it for future baby*

S/C/G: 162/150.8/125

Height: 5'3

Cool Depression & weight loss

I have the same problem... Dr changed my medicine to wellbutrin SR, I lost 12 pounds & now I'm at a stand still.. no weight loss in 1 month now I eat healthy & exercise, but lately, I've been binge eating, anger issues and sleepy all the time... he recently upped my meds to 300 mg.. might be too much for me. *sigh*
Tanderson75 is offline   Reply With Quote