Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #1  
Peace Patrol

S/C/G: 205|196.7|150

Height: 5'5

Default Generalized Anxiety

There isn't a forum category for anxiety, but I think there might need to be, since a lot of us binge when we are feeling the weighty pressures of anxiety bearing down on us.

I am included in all of that.

I, at first, said I was going to do an Atkins plan, but I decided the real issue (for me at least) is not what I'm eating, but portion control and more importantly-- control.

See, it doesn't matter if it's strawberry cheesecake, split pea soup, pork ribs, or literal collard greens from the can..

I'll eat it up! Throw some hot sauce in there and go to town, satiating some deeper need than hunger.

When I was in the Army and shortly after giving birth, I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and so overeating, for me, makes a lot of sense. I try to enforce my own decisions on my body and instead end up spiraling out of control and bingeing on like.. anything; rice cakes, popcorn, green beans, pan seared mushrooms and onions-- sweet, savory, sour.. even War Heads candies, gosh I love those little things!

So, yesterday I decided to ditch my Atkins thing. I made sure I drank at least 72 ounces of water throughout the day, and I tried really, really hard to listen to what my own pre-programmed body was telling me.

Today I did the same. I am definitely less bloated and feel less full, which is great. I even just finished some split pea soup. I'm pretty satisfied-- not stuffed, not barely fed.

But oh my goodness, this anxiety is driving me. I really want to go pick up like chocolate cheesecake at the store and honestly, my mind has been on honey chicken from the Chinese place for the past hour. My brain wants me to stuff myself silly, like a Turkey, and I'm trying very hard to enjoy the fact that I'm not completely distended for once in my life!

Just trying so hard to tackle this root issue. Sigh.
teganp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I suffered from anxiety. A lot.

Two fixes for me:

1) Eat oily fish.

2) Exercise. Lots.

Job done.

It really was that simple.

Hard day at work? Wife leaves me with the kids? Can't pay the bills?

Go for a run and all is good again.

Anxiety returns.

Go for a run.

Feel good again.

Rinse and repeat.

Last edited by IanG; 02-06-2016 at 06:05 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 120/115/108

Height: 5'4''

I have generalised anxiety as well, but when it's really bad I don't feel like eating. I tend to watch shallow stuff on TV or the Internet which isn't great either. Cycling helps me as well, sometimes it feels like I can cycle it off somehow. And I try to do a certain number of crunches and press-ups and similar exercises every day. Keeping up a routine helps me to feel a little more in control.
CallyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6

I have suffered from GAD all my life. Since I could remember. Back when I exercised daily, I dont even remember feeling the way I do now (which is terrible ATM). Its tough but exercise cures so much. Helps heaps. I hope to someday help others by teaching them that help isn't in little pills, but is free and is within.

Trust me, it gets better. Even when you think you cannot go for a run, go for a run. Just start.
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #5  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

My anxiety is massively affected by my alcohol and sugar intake. If i have a day = of excess and I'm 'Hungover" after - majorly anxious, which often spirals because to cope I'll eat/drink.

For me: ots of water, excercise I enjoy, good food (including sweets and things I enjoy too, because restriction triggers it too... ) not too much coffee, lots of breathing, friends I call for help...
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote