Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

Hello,

Fi, I was happy to hear that Grace spent the morning with you. Being around young people is so uplifting. Have you tried chair yoga? I have been doing gentle, restorative yoga at a yoga studio. A woman at the Y told me she does chair yoga; she started when she was in a wheelchair for over a year because she got a severe infection from a knee replacement; they actually removed the artificial knee and did not replace it until the infection cleared - she is diabetic, and that took over a year. She said that chair yoga kept her sane during that terrible time.

Lisa, did you watch the Patriots game? I cannot wait to see this week's with Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady.

Holly, I am back on the beginning of the sugar free - think South Beach - no sugar, no artificial sweeteners, no fruit.....lean meat, vegetables, nuts and brown rice for me. I am craving, craving, craving sweets. I am going to continue this until my annual physical in two weeks. I do not want to be heavier than I was last year, but I probably will be.

Kathleen, your son will be back for summer before you know it. The four years of college seem to be among the fastest in a person's life.

ap14, I do not eat wheat, so pita chips are out for me.

Hello to everyone else.
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #62  
Free Fat to a Good Home!

S/C/G: 238.8/ticker/140

Height: 5'3

Ugh, rough day.

I went to help someone with their computer (learning how to use it, organizing files, etc.) and I decided to head to Walmart on the way home. I got a phone call as soon as I left and my dad said the burglar alarm was going off. ARGHHHH. He said to just go and make sure the garage door was still down, shut it off, etc. I pulled in and the garage door was down, but I went to open the door and it was closed. I'm like oh god I am NOT going in there (small girl vs. potential burglar). So he called the alarm company back and said to send someone over to go in with me. 2 cute police officers pulled in () and I felt a lot better. The dog was going nuts of course, but luckily it was either the door/wind or the sensor malfunctioning. Finally was on my way to Walmart (bolted the door, locked every lock on the door this time LOL) and when I was walking around, I realized I hadn't had my afternoon snack. That was such a hard shopping trip. I walked by the sandwiches and chips to get to the frozen section ugh. I managed to pull through and made it home without consuming anything bad LOL. I walked in and ate a cheese stick. I'm opting out of my smartcarb because I'm just going to have an early dinner tonight and I'd like to drop a little more than a pound this week.

Sorry, that was a long post. Hope everyone had/is having a good day!

Last edited by ap14; 01-19-2016 at 05:04 PM.
ap14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:46 AM   #63  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Happy but concerned Mom tonight!

Well, my son texted me this morning and, among other things, said that he was feeling depressed and hopeless. There are several possible reasons for this, but he asked if I wanted to go have dinner with him tonight..... at Dayton (we live near Columbus, Ohio)..... so, of course, I did. My hubby went with me. After we talked awhile over dinner, he said he felt much better. After we left, he texted to say how much he appreciated us going to have dinner with him. I know this won't solve his depression long term, but I am SO happy to have seen him again (so soon) and so happy he is feeling better..... at least for the moment. The "hopeless" thing really worries me though. And I HATE the fact that, like me, he is struggling with depression at all. I wouldn't wish this depression thing on anyone, especially my son.

Regarding weight loss, I had begun to be fairly consistent working out since we purchased our seated elliptical in November. I like to alternate it with the treadmill simultaneously. 10 minutes on elliptical, 5 minutes in between on treadmill (while elliptical is paused temporarily), back to elliptical, and so on. But lately, I just haven't made time for it. I know that I need to work out for my health, especially being a recent cancer survivor, so I really worry when I don't get much movement in my days at all. I need to commit to getting back on board with work outs starting tomorrow! I feel so much better in every way after completing a workout. It is just a matter of stopping to take the time to do it. Somehow, so many other things get in the way, including my own procrastination. And the next thing I know, another day has passed me by. I get frustrated and impatient with myself because of this. Yet another reason to just get it done!

Well, I have a meeting in the morning, so that's all I have time for tonight. Hope everyone is having a good week! Oh, and ap14, so sorry you had a rough day. Hope tomorrow is a better one for you!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #64  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I forget who it was—maybe it was more than one person—but someone recently mentioned that they were having difficulty with cravings for food not on their diet. I want to share with y'all my own experience of getting rid of that problem.

I have a sweet tooth (and have lost a couple of real teeth because of it!). Quite some time ago, I found myself "addicted" to three big no-no foods: cookies, candy & donuts. Now if you look down at my signature, you'll see where I listed my first mini-goal: to go 30 days without binge eating. Well, it was a bit of a stretch to call myself a binge eater, because I've never been bulimic, nor am I one of those people who raids their kitchen and eats some 5000 calories. My "binges" were more on the order of a big package of cookies or a dozen donuts.

Nonetheless, classifying my cookie monster behavior as binge eating was very helpful to me, because it led me to a book that proved to have an amazing technique for overcoming what I think of as compulsive &/or emotionally driven food cravings. That book is Kathryn Hansen's Brain Over Binge.

As it turned out, I was so thrilled with my success in using Brain Over Binge to banish my cravings for sweets and achieve my Mini-Goal #1 of going 30 days binge-free, I went to the Brain Over Binge blog and wrote to Hansen, telling my own story about using her technique. As you can see by clicking on that link, Hansen put my story up on her blog. Some of you on this thread have already read that story. (I'm the anonymous person with the "yappy dog scenario" mentioned by Hansen in her intro to what I'd written her.)

The comments that people made about my story are worth reading, too, because they contain some excellent testimonials and further advice.

So I thought I'd pass on that info for the people on this thread who weren't here when I first described my experience. Again: you do not have to be bulimic or a binge eater to benefit from Hansen's technique. In fact, her technique works as well for not just food cravings, but also any kind of compulsive/emotional behavior you might want to get rid of.

I poked around that blog just now, and discovered that Hansen has now published a workbook to go with her original autobiographical book. It looks quite useful! You can find the info about it by clicking on "Home" at the top of the page.

Best wishes to all!
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #65  

You have all been busy posting! I'm trying to catch up, but I'm sorry I am not up to speed on the latest - I will get there!

A big hello to the new faces I am terrible at forgetting your names, but glad to see new people here.

I went to my Dr this evening to come off my pain killers. I have been on them for a year, but they have no effect on the pain, and I am tired of the side-effects. I have to reduce the dose gradually over 3 or so weeks, and I'm a little concerned by the potential withdrawal side-effect, but I also look forward to being able to think clearly again! I do hope it will help with my weight and general convictions around food!
Coop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #66  
Nerd on the Go

S/C/G: 160/159.2/120

IBelieveInMe2, reading your post made me tear up. You and your husband sound like wonderful parents; I wish I had the same for myself!

The past three days I've been crying more. This is largely my fault as I came off my depression meds unsupervised but I had no supervision open to me as my health care ended in December. I should be getting back on soon though.

I'm hovering at 152-155. That's my fault, too. But I ate healthier yesterday and I jogged/walked for an hour and a half. Today I'll be more active just because I'm going to work. Hopefully I feel better tomorrow and avoid stepping on the scale until I feel more emotionally stable.

Last edited by TheLibrarian; 01-21-2016 at 07:18 PM.
TheLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #67  
full of thanks

[EasySpirit, yes I did watch the Patriots game. I'm actually a Broncos fan but enjoy watching the Pats, as they are always very good. Hopefully, the Broncos can hang with them this weekend.

The Librarian, I am so very sorry about your healthcare insurance. I can't even imagine what stress that puts on you. Please, get it back soon, I will worry about you terribly until you do.

Coop, congrats on getting off the pain meds. I hope you are alright without them. Please keep us updated.

Fi, it is so good to see you back posting.

Kathleen, I am so sorry that your son is sick. Jennifer went through the same thing last year and I was sick with worry. I got her to a good Dr, and got her on meds, along with a therapist. She is doing well now, I pray it stays that way.

ap, you can post as much as you want. We just love hearing from you.

Have a great day, everyone. I will post again soon.

Last edited by Lisaluvshearts; 01-21-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Lisaluvshearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #68  
Free Fat to a Good Home!

S/C/G: 238.8/ticker/140

Height: 5'3

Hi everyone! I hope everything is well.

I just can't wait to lose weight so I can be done with these stupid nutrisystem thick crust pizzas LOL. I definitely don't crave pizza anymore...bleh!

I started my photography class Wednesday night and I haven't been with a "class" in over a month, so it was really weird. My other classes don't start until the 1st, but it was just really awkward. I love photography though, so hopefully the awkwardness will go away soon. There is a really cute guy though that I didn't mean to sit next to...he's so dreamy!! If any of you know Kevin Love from the Cleveland Cavaliers, that's about what he looked like. Cute guys make the awful nutrisystem meals worth it LOL
ap14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #69  
rockin' my 60s!

I must confess, I'm rather crabby today, despite the fact that I learned a couple of new Qi Gung exercises that are helping my legs feel much better, and despite the fact that I'm looking forward to the big snow storm that's supposed to blow our way soon. (I'm from Houston, so snow is always a thrill.) I've been having trouble with my sleep lately—waking up at four or five in the morning and unable to get back to sleep. It's a depression symptom, as you guys know. The last thing I need right now is to get depressed.

So I hope that the snow will lift my spirits—and that we don't lose our power, which is a distinct possibility, since our electrical lines are above ground and subject to blowing down quite easily.

Anyway....
Old 01-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #70  
rockin' my 60s!

It's a world of white out there! I tried to find an precise report on how much snow we've gotten, but all I could find is the rather vague estimate of 18"-24". I did read that last night the snow was falling at a rate of 1"-3" an hour—whoa!

Bob is going to venture out later and make a stab at clearing our driveway, but other than that, we're just hangin' out with the kitties. So far no power outages—that's a relief.

I'm enjoying the hush that a big snowfall brings. Usually we can hear the DC Beltway from our house: today that sound is much diminished. And then tomorrow they're predicting will be clear and sunny—great daylight for making art!

Speaking of which, here's my latest. (Click on the collage for a larger version.) This week the theme on the Kollage Kit is "Abstracts." Yay! A few other people have commented on how it's nice to have the challenge, because making abstract collages is "way outside their comfort zone." That's not true for me at all! I love abstracts, and I'm going more and more in that direction.

I'm too pooped right now to do personals, but please know that I'm thinkng about each and every one of you!
Old 01-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #71  
rockin' my 60s!

Gee, where is everyone? 'Hope you guys are OK!

It's clear and sunny today, just as promised. All that white, reflecting the sun...amazing light!

I think I may be on a roll with these abstracts. The one I made this morning is called big white K.

But I'm frustrated with my body—how much pain I'm in. I just finished reading this book: The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain by John E. Sarno, M.D. Sarno says that the pain of syndromes like fibromyalgia—that's what my chronic pain doc says I have—is due to bottled-up rage. I need to ponder that. I certainly do have a lot to be angry about—my abusive parents were the beginning, and now I'm in a wheelchair 'cause of what my psych meds did to me. Sarno says that once his patients realize their pain originates in their minds, and that there's nothing wrong with their bodies, they just sort of magically get well. I don't get it.

Oh well... strange to say, I wish I had some cookies. I haven't been visited by that craving in quite some time. I guess my inner child is upset and wants something to soothe her. I guess it's a good thing that I can't walk and I can't drive, because there's no way I can be a cookie monster today.

Maybe I'll have some muesli... sugar-free muesli with cream and stevia. I'm supposed to have some every day, to keep from getting depressed on the Dr. Atkins induction diet.

Whatever...

Last edited by Fiona W; 01-24-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:13 AM   #72  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Hello!

Fi: I am here! I am reading along, but just don't have much new to report. Sorry you are craving cookies. I know you haven't had those cravings in a long while and how hard you fought to be binge free, so I am glad you can't get to them, too. Sorry you are still experiencing so much pain. That book is interesting. I can't imagine that ALL fibromyalgia is due to bottled-up rage. My sister-in-law has fibromyalgia, too, and she certainly doesn't seem to have bottled-up rage. I would say that you need to go on a case by case basis, but that is just my 2 cents! I am certainly NOT an expert on that subject. Love that you are cranking out the collages! That must be very therapeutic for you.

Well, I guess I do have one fun thing to report. Friday night, my hubby and I went on a road trip (from Ohio) to Indianapolis to hear one of our favorite singers, Phil Vassar. He plays the piano and is classified under country music (which I love), but he is more of a pop/rock & roll sound. I've been to tons of his concerts and they are a blast; very high energy! We got to meet him (again) after the show. He is always such a sweetheart. Anyway, just my hubby and I went to celebrate our 22nd anniversary, which is this Friday, January 29th. We are taking my daughter to another concert that night in Cincinnati: Chris Young, who is a country music artist my daughter and I adore. Should be another fun evening of music. I love going to concerts because it is one of the few times I can totally relax and my mind stops racing at a hundred miles an hour because I am focused on the music.

It is a bit quiet around here lately. Where is everyone?
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #73  
rockin' my 60s!

Kathleen says:
I can't imagine that ALL fibromyalgia is due to bottled-up rage. My sister-in-law has fibromyalgia, too, and she certainly doesn't seem to have bottled-up rage.

I know what you mean. But John Sarno, the author of the book I mentioned, says that the people most likely to have bottled-up rage—and psychosomatic illnesses caused by it—are people who strive constantly to be "good" and/or "perfect." In other words, very nice people. That part of the book makes sense to me, because if your rage is all repressed, you would come across to others as not having any.

And I do have to admit, I try hard to be a good person, and I'm also somewhat of a perfectionist. Hmmm....

What exasperates me about Sarno's idea is that he doesn't explain how his patients go from realizing that they have bottled-up rage, to being free of pain. I mean, what if your unconscious is "punishing" you with the pain? How would being consciously aware of your anger stop that process, and thus stop the pain?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #74  
rockin' my 60s!

The pain in my legs is making me depressed. I cry a lot, every day. I wake up at 5 AM every morning, and cannot get back to sleep—nor can I take a nap, later on. I am obsessed with questions like "Will I ever walk again? Will I be in pain the rest of my life? What is all of this doing to Bob?" I feel a lot of guilt over that last question, as I notice how stressed out my sweet husband is getting, as the months wear on and I am still nowhere near being back to normal. I worry that he is losing ground on his recovery from the long, long depression he's been through—the one that cost him his job and forced him into an early (and unwanted) retirement. Worst of all, I go through constant loops of feeling sorry for myself, then beating up on myself for feeling sorry for myself, then feeling oppressed by the self-castigation. More than one person has told me they are impressed by what "a great attitude" I supposedly have. I don't know what they are talking about. I see this whole ordeal as a test of character, and I am miserably failing at the test. And I am unworthy of Mike (my Qi Gung instructor/healer)—unworthy of being the recipient of his wisdom and his devotion to me. So, yes indeed, the pain is making me crazy. Not crazy in the wild unbridled sense, but thinking lots of crazy thoughts.

Last edited by Fiona W; 01-25-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #75  
full of thanks

I just wanted to check in. I am going through a rough time here, my client is driving me nuts. I can't be around people who are stressed out and he constantly is. It is making me sick. I am very sensitive when others around me are anxious. It makes me very ill.

I told him tonight that I am feeling ill. I don't know if I can continue to work with him. Things need to get better.

That is what is going on here now. I'll check back in later in the week.
Lisaluvshearts is offline   Reply With Quote