Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #61  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

Hi Lisa, I'm sorry about your diagnosis...I'm glad they can help somehow, though I can imagine the headaches, they can really ruin a person's day...and spirit! Is Elvira your cat/dog? Both my pugs have passed away but I remember a time when I had just moved to the East coast and I had zero money for 11 days...both pugs had severe gastrointestinal problems the minute we got there, and I had to wait to take them to the vet too...it's hard to do. But we do what we can right? Maybe you can try rubbing her with some apple cider vinegar in the mean time to ease the fungal itch? If she has no open sores...that used to help one of my dogs when he had a fungal infection between his toes.
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 230/212/130

Height: 5'7"

Chardonnay, thank you very much. I have tried a wide array of different therapies in my life from private to public. I call myself an agnostic with two rules, so I'm very open to alternative therapies and have had them incorporated; spiritual art therapy as occupational therapy specifically among the array. I've even been in therapy for people with disorders I wasn't diagnosed with, but was told would help me anyways even though I wouldn't "grade" on the sale quite the same as everyone else in the program. Ironically that's where I found my therapist, and continued seeing him one on one through his private practice after I finished there. Sadly now I can't afford therapy that isn't covered by insurance and the last time I tried to find public assistance I was told that I've had the best therapy available and shouldn't take resources away from people who actually needed it. (At a time in my life when I wasn't able to see my therapist as often as needed and was severely suffering from PTSD which nearly resulted in a lengthy psych ward stay at the hospital). So I'm dreading throwing myself to the same sharks that said that to me the last time I tried to find help. I'm hoping I'll be ok, but it's still a major safety net being pulled out from under my feet and if I were walking a tight rope it almost makes me more aware of the ground than I was and feel more unsteady than I was even though my skills haven't diminished. I'm scared I guess. But trying to be optimistic. Going to go it alone for a while and if I find I need help again I will seek it, I just really really wish I didn't have to.

Lisa, thank you for the support. I do hope the headaches are getting better. My boss has constant headaches too and I know it can't be fun.

-Kay

Last edited by LadyKay; 10-16-2014 at 04:30 PM.
LadyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #63  
on a journey

Chardonnay, Elvira is my black lab. I will try the apple cider vinegar when I get paid next week. What is it about that, that works on her skin and no, she has no open sores, she's just pulling out her hair on her tail and butt.

Kay, you ALWAYS have my support here. I come here and tell about my days usually but...I know I can also spill my guts when I am down too. You will find support here. The girls are wonderful.

I am supposed to be keeping a headache journal but I keep for getting to write in it.

I worked a lot today. I thought I'd be really warn out but I feel pretty good considering I've been up since 5 am. I'm hoping tomorrow won't be so bad.
*fingers crossed*

Much love to all.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #64  
Food and Wine Lover

Hi Kay I can imagine the anxiety about losing your therapist...I suffer PTSD as well. And I'm in the same boat, no money for therapy. But you know...I came to a decision when the insurance money dried up. I decided that what I needed was time and talk to help me heal. That is what therapy provided for me. I don't like burdening my bf, so when I need to "talk" about stuff, I post it on a forum like SAS (social anxiety support forum). It's pretty active and lots of folks there have similar issues as I do. Now I don't even miss therapy at all, I like that I'm able to do things on my own, I feel I don't need it anymore, 9 years was more than enough. Anyway, that's me, I'm not advocating ending therapy if you really need it.

Hi Lisa Lucky...black labs are gorgeous! My relatives had one he was a big teddy bear! Apple cider vinegar is like a cure-all...I know it has anti-biotic properties, something about it balancing out the PH levels in the skin...sorry I don't really retain too much medical jargon...but it did help my little guy. My vet actually suggested it one time for my dog, he kept licking his paws to the point where he got sores and it really took care of the itch after the creams that were prescribed didn't keep the infection away.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #65  
Food and Wine Lover

I had a very trying day...so many people don't understand how little things can make such a big problem for me. Long story short, the credit card company has sent my replacement card to my former address THREE times...I have had to call and argue with them 5 times now to get them to send it to my new address, which they do have on file, but for some reason keep sending to my old address...anyway, just being on the phone for 45 minutes arguing with this woman today kept my stomach in knots ALL day long...I have trouble eating when I have underlying stress and anxiety, food gets stuck at the base of my esophagus and (pardon the tmi), I have to either throw it up or wait until it drops into my stomach. It's panic-inducing, even though I know I'm not choking, it hurts and it makes me scared.

Of course, that happened tonight at dinner. I'm so lucky my bf is supportive and helpful. He always comes over and tilts my head up, rubs my back and goes with me to the bathroom if I need to throw up. Gosh, I remember going through all that alone and it was terrifying.

It's like clockwork..I can predict when food will get stuck based on my stress levels and I still haven't found a way to relax enough so it doesn't happen. Anyone else go through this? It's just awful.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 282/SeeTicker/160

I had a detailed response all typed out to you all and it deleted! But regardless, it's good to hear from y'all. I hope things are going well.

Things are looking up for me, I am struggling less with getting over this guy and that's good. I cleaned my room yesterday and it makes me feel so much better. I work today and tomorrow, so I don't have to worry about having plans. Things are fairly calm. And I weighed in this morning at 263.4 - down .4 since last time
amylynnehicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #67  
on a journey

Hi, everyone.

I hope this post finds you well.

I'm tired but I'm going to crochet class tonight. I need to get started on Jennifer's hat. I love going to class, the ladies I meet with are wonderful.

Did I mention that I'm tired?

Amy, I'm so sorry you lost your post. *hug*
Chardonnay, you poor thing, I can't even imagine having to put up with that kind of stress. We are here for you, post whenever you need to.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #68  
Food and Wine Lover

Thanks Lisa Today was much better, I was able to sleep in and I did some yoga so it helped my stress a lot. And I saw a $100 "purchase credit" on my credit card account...I guess complaining in a polite way does the trick! I didn't expect any compensation from them at all. I don't think it was worth the stress though, but I can't say no to a credit.

Oooh crochet....I'm teaching myself to crochet this winter. I typically stay indoors pretty much all winter so having lots of hobbies is the only way to avoid cabin fever. I started knitting last year, it's so relaxing...do you find it hard on the hands after a while?

Oh, and I'd love you to post a picture Jennifer's hat once you're done!

I haven't eaten yet today, but the coffee and water all went down okay. It's a fasting day so I'm making an omelet for dinner, I think that should slide right down to my stomach without anything getting stuck!

Last edited by Chardonnay; 10-17-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:39 PM   #69  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Red face Hello Support Buddies!!!

Hi! Sorry I have been AWOL the past couple days. It is so great to see all of the posting and support that is going on in the group! Let's keep it up! I had a pretty good week of eating and exercise. Need to get outdoors and walk with my pups some next week! The sunshine lifts my mood. I have been listening to audio broadcasts for about a week now in a series called "Rewiring Your Brain to Think Thin." It is a FREE program offered by Marna Thall. I forget how I got on her mailing list. Anyway, it is all about training the MIND and GOING WITHIN to help with weight loss rather than yo-yo dieting. Pretty interesting stuff! Now if I can only put into practice what I am learning. That is always the hard part.

Sorry, I am too tired for personals tonight, but I wanted to check in. Will try to catch back up with everyone ASAP! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 135/155/140

Height: 5'7''

Angry The post binge blues

Hi everyone!
I'm new to the group and looking to share/seeking some support. I've been struggling with my weight for many years and as of recently recovered from a problem with bulimia. That being said my main problem is that my feelings to binge still nag at me on a regular basis, and it has been a long struggle trying to lose the weight I gained in a healthy way and not give into my "munchy feelings"! Last night I had a pretty big binge (no purging!) and my issue now is trying to deal with the guilty feelings that follow. I think part of why I have so much trouble staying on track with a health and fitness plan is because I feel that once I've put on a certain amount of weight I start to feel defeated in my attempts to try to get healthy because of how long it takes for me to actually see any results. Looking for support or just to hear from anyone who has dealt with similar problems in their health journey.
JGPgoeshealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #71  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

Hi, everyone. I'm back after being away for a couple of months. First, the death of a friend sent me into a bit of a tail spin, then my computer kicked the bucket. I'm back online now and hopefully moving back to being on track.

Unfortunately my long run of being binge-free that started Nov. 1, 2013 ended in October 2014. Yesterday was the worst day of two weeks worth of sugar bingeing. So, I need to reset the tools to reflect my 5 pound weight gain and the fact that I'm starting over in my efforts to remain binge free.

I've been battling a really self-destructive bout of depression. Everyone here already knows all that entails, so I won't bore you with the details. I haven't been exercising quite as vigorously as I did during the summer months. The change in season seems to helped throw me off there. I am still doing at least three workouts a week but I really do need to bump things back up. Since it is getting dark earlier and earlier, I need to make adjustments. I have difficulty driving after dark, so pretty soon I should come home straight after work instead of going to the gym. It's getting colder, so soon, I won't be able to take long bike rides on the weekends. My longest trip so far was 27 miles. I hoped to accomplish a 30 mile ride before temps dropped to a point it is too difficult to ride but I don't know that I'll make that goal.

Anyway, I'm slogging through life and hope to soon be back into a more positive mindset. Oh, and I'm signed up for graduate school so I'm taking courses online. The fact that my laptop croaked the day before the semester started did nothing to ease my stress levels, trust me.

Fi: How are the kittens doing?

Trish (lilturtle): I hope things are going well for you and that you're feeling good. How's the knee doing?

Lisa (Ohio): I like your haircut. Nice profile picture!

Holly: I hope you're doing well and that you had a great summer.

Kathleen (IBelieve): Sending you (((Hugs))) for all the good you do and all the support you give to folks here.
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #72  
I can do it!!!

Smile Welcome!!!

JGPgoeshealthy: to the group!!! So happy you posted! CONGRATULATIONS on overcoming Bulimia! I can understand how it is difficult now to deal with the guilt feelings after a binge ~ without purging. Can you write your feelings out in a journal? Would that help? Have you been to a professional therapist to discuss the issue? If not, I highly recommend it. Regardless, please feel free to post here ANY time about your feelings and about your Ups and Downs. This group has become a great source of support for me. There is usually someone here to listen/read and reply to you. It helps sometime just to write out your feelings. We are here for you and will cheer you on all the way to your goals! Thanks again for having the courage to post! Best of luck to you!

Last edited by IBelieveInMe2; 10-18-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #73  
I can do it!!!

Smile worththeeffort2

worththeeffort2: Welcome back!!! It is wonderful to hear from you!!! I am so sorry to hear that you have been battling a self-destructive bout of depression. Please try to be patient with yourself. You have been through a lot! Just focus on PROGRESS right now...... a little each day. Do ONE thing each day IF POSSIBLE to step in the direction of your goals. You will overcome this difficult time ~ ONE day and ONE moment at a time. We are here for you and we care about you! I am just so happy to hear from you again. Sending you a BIG hug! Hang in there and take good care of yourself! Oh, and BEST OF LUCK with graduate school!!! What are you studying?
Old 10-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 333.5/306.5/200

Height: 5 ft. 11 in.

I have been remiss at posting here lately because I have been having some family issues that has left me feeling very emotional. Sitting around most of the time feeling like crying has not helped with my weight loss and has definitly added to my feeling depressed. Hopefully I can start to pull myself out of my funk this week. Looking forward to reading more of these boards.
meandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #75  
I can do it!!!

Smile Welcome!

meandu: to the group! Sending you a BIG hug!!!