Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 173/168.8

Height: 5ft 2in

Welcome Lori. I hope you settle in and find the thread is helpful, its great to have a place to post with other people who get it.

I haven't been too bad, I kinda feel I am chasing my tail a bit, I'm trying to sort out the house and clean it up a bit and dejunk it and I just can't seem to get on top of it. I thought once my kids went back to school I would have lots more time but I seem to waste it.

I did go out running today which was a big thing for me so feeling very proud about that. I used to run a lot but haven't in a while and want to get back into it.

Fiona its great to hear you are having a good day, I really hope you stay feeling good for as long as possible.

withuashish its great that you have a plan, you can do this, don't give up. I'm doing something similar, lots of walking with a bit of jogging.

Ibelieveinme2 I hear ya! I feel the same way after sitting down for long periods, in fact these days when I get out of bed my ankles feel so bad I am like an elderly woman trying to get around. Its all weight related so I have no one to blame but myself

Ladies I hope everyone has an amazing week, its starting well so I hope I can keep it going.
aryastark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 198/192/145

Height: 5'5"

My mood has been pretty good and I have been staying on track with my meal plan. I see my doctor on the 17th to go over my lab results. I am really hoping she says that with diet and exercise I can turn this around.
lorib64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 470/ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

I am really lacking motivation. In diet and life in general. It's frustrating.

On the plus side, my mom bought me a car. I haven't had one since 2011. I won't get it until November after I recover from knee surgery. Did I tell you guys about that? I have the right knee of an 80 yr old. It is bone on bone with two torn ligaments. I finally found a dr willing to replace it at my age and weight. Surgery is Oct 10th.

Last edited by lilturtle; 09-15-2014 at 02:33 PM.
lilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #64  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

And for those of you following my endless parade of kitten pics, here's some new ones I took on Saturday: one, two, three, and four. Plus two more I took this morning: one and two. Oscar and Nénu (he's the paler one with blue eyes) are five months old now. Amazing how much they've grown in one month, isn't? They almost look like miniature versions of oriental shorthairs now, but they certainly still act like kittens. So demanding... but so much fun!
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #65  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Hello!

Hello Everyone! I ate much better today, but still have to get my exercise in tonight. I am running out of time.

Trish: I hear you about lacking motivation in diet and life in general and how frustrating that is! I am sorry you are in that place right now. Please remind us of your knee surgery as it gets closer. Sorry you have to have it done, but hopefully you will feel much better once it heals. Your description sounds so painful. My dad has had both of his knees replaced with great success. CONGRATS on your new car!!! Glad that your mom bought it for you!

Fi: I just love the pictures of Oscar and Nenu and how snuggled up with each other they are in every one! They look like the best of buddies! I was thinking that they look so big for kittens, but the hand in the one picture put their size in better perspective for me. How are you feeling today?

lorib64: I'm so happy to hear that you will be able to go over your lab results with your doctor on the 17th. Hope it goes well! Good for you for staying on track with your meal plan.

aryastark: Oh my, how I can relate to what you said about thinking you'd have so much time once your kids are in school and wasting it. I am in the same boat. I like having more time to myself, but I am struggling with getting motivated to clear my house. And it really needs my attention! I need to set up some kind of routine for myself. Something has to change! Good for you for getting outside for a run today! I need to start walking my three dogs (one or two at a time) most days. They would love it and it would be so good for me! I have allowed myself to be LAZY lately. NOT proud of that.
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #66  
I can do it!!!

Talking Just an Update!

Just wanted to report that at 10pm last night, I finally got my butt moving and walked on the treadmill for 25 minutes and the TreadClimber (much harder) for 5 minutes! I am using the combo of treadmill and TreadClimber to kick up my workouts at home a notch. Proud of myself! Unfortunately, this morning I woke up with a terrible migraine, which I am still fighting. Daughter is home sick for the second day. Life could be better right now, but it could also be a lot worse. I'll take it!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #67  

Going to the grocey store and getting back on track. I really need to. I am going to try mini goals. Like right now get below 350.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #68  
I can do it!!!

Default Trish

Trish: Mini goals are a great idea!!! Sounds like you have a good plan. Best of luck to you! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #69  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm not doin' so hot, I'm afraid. This depressive episode is not showing any signs of petering out. I have a good day now & then, but mostly I'm going down into serious -3 or -4 levels of depression pain, even -5 one horrible stretch, every day in every way. The kittens are nice to cuddle with, but mostly I have to medicate myself into a stupor before I get any relief from the pain. And the medication I take (Geodon) makes me crave sweets like nobody's business! I even broke down a couple of days ago and had a mini-binge on raw sugar mixed with peanut butter. =big sigh= Mostly I'm sticking to my diet by sheer force of will and extreme, one might even say Spartan, simplicity of food options. It's not pretty, but it is what it is....
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #70  

I'm sorry you are going through this Fi. I have been there. Have you seen your doctor recently? It might be time for a med change or adjustment. Do you have a therapist? Big hugs your way.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #71  
I can do it!!!

Unhappy Fi

Fi: I am so sorry to hear that the major depression pain is being stubborn. Hang in there and do your best to not beat yourself up for any food slips right now. Give yourself a break and just get through this difficult episode of depression. Sending BIG HUGS your way!!!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #72  

I'm up early.....well I didn't really sleep. A bit between 11-2am. I am going to make the best of the day. Going for a walk later and going to get some cleaning done. Oh, yes, grocery store at 4.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 242/242/165

Height: 5'9"

How does one find a therapist? I discussed my depression and weight issues with my doctor in March, and she gave me Prozac (makes me sick) and then Effexor - but I never took it cause reading all the reviews scared me!
I need to do something - realizing things will not just get better on their own. My main issue is my weight. I have been struggling - hard - for years to lose weight. I try diets, have willpower for around a month, lose around 10 pounds, then quit and gain it all back. I am depressed because I hate my body and don't see anything ever changing. If I could just stop eating and lose some weight, I wouldn't be so depressed. It's an awful cycle.
kcandponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #74  

You could either ask for a referral from your doctor or call your insurance company to find out who is in network and find out what your benefits are. Therapy can really help. I found a good therapist but I can't afford to see him right now.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #75  
I can do it!!!

Default kcandponies

kcandponies: to the group! Please feel free to keep posting here if you want. I find that it helps. If you know you need therapy, I would ask your doctor for a referral or check on Angie's List for reviews on psychologists if you can. It is important to find the right "fit" with your therapist, so one that works for one person may not be right for another person. But I have found that Angie's List is a good starting point. I have been on Effexor XR for a really long time now, and I haven't noticed any negative side effects from the drug. If your doctor prescribed it, you might want to give it a try. Or you might want to also talk with a good psychiatrist about drug options for you. Mention that you do NOT want a drug that is KNOWN to cause weight gain!!! I gained 60 pounds on Zyprexa, the drug from h*ll!!! Along with affecting my metabolism, it gave me an insatiable appetite. It was awful!!! And, yes, the more weight I gained, the more depressed I became. It was a vicious cycle. Best of luck to you with finding a therapist and in your weight loss journey! You deserve to be HAPPY!!!