3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Depression and Weight Issues

Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

OCD/Intrusive Thoughts

Old 07-28-2014, 01:06 AM   #1
Warrior Princess

S/C/G: 155/138/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default OCD/Intrusive Thoughts

I know this is part of anxiety disorder but every once in a while I get stuck on a horrible thought and begin to obsessively worry that it will come true. Usually I fear something tragic will happen to my child which started after I lost my Mom to cancer. I'm not looking for sympathy, just seeking advice from others that struggle with thoughts of impending doom and how to deal with it. I have tried many different meds but it only relieves generalized anxiety never the OCD.

I know the Psychology behind it and know it's irrational but I still can't stop my mind from going places I don't want it to.

novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:27 AM   #2
Still Chubby

S/C/G: 76/68/63kg

Height: 172cm

I counter each unwanted thought by saying something, out loud, that I rationally know to be true.

"...everyone that really gets to know me stops loving me.."
I have several long-term friends who care about me and support me.

It doesn't make the thoughts go away, but I think it is important to assert the truth, even if I have to do it over and over because the thoughts return. The gap between what I know and how I feel is infuriating...because how I feel seems so much more real to me. I don't know if it is similar for you, but matching each thought with a truthful, positive comparison seems to help me.

No one gives it to you, you have to take it.

all time high: 200
tinneranne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
I know this is part of anxiety disorder but every once in a while I get stuck on a horrible thought and begin to obsessively worry that it will come true. Usually I fear something tragic will happen to my child which started after I lost my Mom to cancer. I'm not looking for sympathy, just seeking advice from others that struggle with thoughts of impending doom and how to deal with it. I have tried many different meds but it only relieves generalized anxiety never the OCD.

I know the Psychology behind it and know it's irrational but I still can't stop my mind from going places I don't want it to.
novangel, Thats really tough to deal with. Because it is your child you are feeling this way about. I am really sorry.

Have you ever heard of Meridian tapping? EFT? Its pretty easy to do. And sometimes it can interrupt those intrusive thoughts. Theres a lot of meridian tapping people on youtube. If you want to google: Tap easy EFT for anxiety you will find a link to a page with a bunch of videos for anxiety. Brad yates is always pretty good. And some of the others may be good as well. I do not know if it will help. I dont know if its something you would relate to. Lots of people do. And many dont. Its tapping on accupuncture points while saying words. Someone named Gary Craig developed the method. Someone named Nick Ortner has published a lot on it, if you want to listen/watch/read online about it. I know someone I respect a lot who thinks there is a lot to this method. And I have instinctivly been interested in it for about 15 years. Maybe it would help. idk.

btw, I tried to find an EFT video specifically on intrusive thoughts or complusive thoughts. I didnt find anything I wanted to tell you about. Again,sorry this is happening

Last edited by flower123 : 08-02-2014 at 01:59 AM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.