Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #16  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I'm a shorty - 5ft tall, so I'm not trying to get down to an unhealthy level. I do appreciate all of the comments. I think I may look into a therapist. I asked my boyfriend his honest opinion because I go back and forth between feeling like I need a fashion consultant, a personal trainer/diet guru, or a therapist (maybe all of them!). He said "therapy won't make you feel thinner, but will make you remember 'who cares?!'" I know that I need to accept that I'm not teeny and never will be - I'm curvier with a large bust/backside and small waist. It's hard for me to accept that I can't just diet myself down to a body type that I'd prefer. I don't know if that's just me giving up because it's hard work, or if I just need to work on accepting myself as is.

Thanks for your feedback
This sounds great and your boyfriend sounds like a positive force in your life, so that makes it easier to work on "YOU" too. Good for you!!!! And if the first therapist isn't a good fit, move on to another.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
This sounds great and your boyfriend sounds like a positive force in your life, so that makes it easier to work on "YOU" too. Good for you!!!! And if the first therapist isn't a good fit, move on to another.
I am incredibly lucky in that regard, especially after a history of duds.

My best friend is really cute too. We were talking on Sunday and she told me to take baby steps, saying that she was so proud that I bought a bikini last year and I should lay out in my back yard - don't worry about the beach this year, just start with my yard.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #18  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
I am incredibly lucky in that regard, especially after a history of duds.

My best friend is really cute too. We were talking on Sunday and she told me to take baby steps, saying that she was so proud that I bought a bikini last year and I should lay out in my back yard - don't worry about the beach this year, just start with my yard.
Sometimes I wish we could "like" posts!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #19  

I asked my daughter to take a picture of me last Friday, and I was SHOCKED - I really didn't look big at all. I never take full body shots, and I don't usually wear dresses that show any kind of leg, so it was a step outside of my comfort zone, for sure.

Baby steps.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #20  
Harness that energy.

S/C/G: 164.5/147.7/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I asked my daughter to take a picture of me last Friday, and I was SHOCKED - I really didn't look big at all. I never take full body shots, and I don't usually wear dresses that show any kind of leg, so it was a step outside of my comfort zone, for sure.

Baby steps.

That dress is gorgeous and you look great in it!
LilDazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #21  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I asked my daughter to take a picture of me last Friday, and I was SHOCKED - I really didn't look big at all.
You look PHENOMENAL. Beautiful, trim, and healthy. Definitely NOT big!
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #22  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

You look great!! OMG seriously - you legs look quite toned and the dress is very flattering.

I think you have gotten some great advice about therapy etc.

Based on what you have said, a fashion consultant might be a good idea too! (Not related to the dress in the photo, just a general idea... ) Maybe someone who knows something about this will pop in.

The reason I bring this up is that I can relate. I get extremely frustrated/depressed when I have to go out somewhere because of the challenge of getting dressed. I have a normal BMI (just barely) but I have some odd proportions. I have learned many things that make me look worse, but I don't know that many that make me look better. Though when I find them occasionally it is AMAZING how different it is to not feel horrifically self-conscious all the time. I would gladly pay someone to help me figure out what works for me

Best of luck sorting it all out ... but in the meantime, just know that random people from the internet think you look beautiful!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #23  

Thank you! I took a long look at myself yesterday in just a bra and underwear - something I usually avoid. I actually thought, "hey, I could wear a bikini and it would look okay."

I'm going to try to find a wardrobe consultant because I used to be SO fashionable and now I just throw on jeans, a long sleeved black tee, and sneakers. That's no way to feel confident and pretty. I gave up and it's time to get back to what I really like. At this point, I need a little bit of help with it.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #24  

Oooh, I get your summer clothes issue. Truly. Other than swimwear I wear the same basic clothes all summer. A white tee and either knee length denim shorts or capris. I would suggest you find one summer outfit that you like and wear it til it falls apart. Wear and wash. Get multiples of the same tops and bottoms. Then accessorize!

Also if you avoid going out and cover up too much not only are you looking for heat stroke but you are depriving yourself of sunshine. Seasonal mood disorders are typically caused by this. Fall and winter are often the worst because of the short days and lack of exposure to sunlight. Sunlight, in moderation is usually a mood enhancer

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/n...-in-depression

Good Luck!
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:20 PM   #25  
Warrior Princess

I don't see anything wrong with the way you look. You're obviously hurting on the inside.

I'm opposite, I can't stand the feeling of clothes on my body it only makes me more aware of my size. Summer clothes are more loose fitting, less coverage, and less bulky which makes me feel smaller. Strange how we're all different.

I won't wear shorts but I live in capris.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #26  
First Class Muncher

S/C/G: 240/204/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Thank you! I took a long look at myself yesterday in just a bra and underwear - something I usually avoid. I actually thought, "hey, I could wear a bikini and it would look okay."

I'm going to try to find a wardrobe consultant because I used to be SO fashionable and now I just throw on jeans, a long sleeved black tee, and sneakers. That's no way to feel confident and pretty. I gave up and it's time to get back to what I really like. At this point, I need a little bit of help with it.
Try practicing with some pretend online shopping. Go to a site that has frequent sales, like Macy's or Kohn's. If you don't have an account, get one. You can view various clothes, save them to your wish list and/or temporarily place them in your cart. Try to focus on ones that have customer reviews.

You don't have to buy anything. Just practice. Look at some fashionable items that would look good on your body type and hide the areas that bother you. Even large ladies can find short sleeved items they can feel comfortable in.

At some point, when the price and outfit are right, buy something suitable for Summer. If you have a store near you, you can go into the store to return it or ship it back if you don't like what you bought.
NaughtyNibbler is offline   Reply With Quote