Feeling depressed? This is what you need...

• This article I read describes how light exercise can eliminate depression.
    Article:
    George Mammen, a University of Toronto doctorate student is the author behind the work, and his advice is: 'If you're active, keep sustaining it; if you're not, then start'.

His findings revealed that 150 mins of exercise a week resulted in an 8 per cent decrease in depression, which increased with more exercise for those who have mild depression. Meanwhile, a few hours of light exercise a week can be used as an alternative treatment for mild depression too.

The mood boost provided by being active is caused by the release of endorphins, often called 'runner's high' which give a more positive outlook on life and reduces stress.

How does everyone feel about this? Have some of us experience this before?
  • Oh yes agree 100%! I have experienced this more times than I can count. I always feel better after being physical. Even something as light as a 15 minute walk can do the trick.
  • When i'm depressed i can't make myself exercise.
  • The ability of exercise to reduce depression has long been known, and many supporting studies have been published for the last few decades. Fortunately, you don't have to run to reap the benefits. Not everyone is physically able to run, or even jog. Walking regularly can have a significant effect on depression. I think one of the better studies showed that we should walk 5 days a week, for at least a half hour, for the best benefit. http://www.health.harvard.edu/newswe...rt-excerpt.htm Also noted: Another theory is that exercise stimulates the neurotransmitter norepinephrine, which may directly improve mood.

It appears to me that moderate exercise is much more beneficial than light exercise, which might not help some people. Since the effects are generally seen with regular exercise, it is important to keep going and not give up

I was clinically depressed in the early 90s, and my doctor recommended regular walking. It really did help.
  • Its will definltye help if you can make yourself do it. If you can't, what hope is there. A lot of people can't make it happen.

I've always been able to start doing it when i am just starting to recover from depression but not when i'm in the flunk. I get fatigued when depressed and walking even to the postbox seems so awfully hard. When its like that you really need someone to drag you out but i never have anyone to do that.
  • I definitely feel this 'high' after swimming laps, it feels awesome! Thank you for posting.