Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #106  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Wink

Hi there,

Worththeeffort, I hope that you enjoy your swim. I love to swim and I am planning to go this Friday, I love swimming laps.

Lilturtle, I used to take Buspar but I couldn't stand the taste of it because to me it had a very strong taste. I wish they enterically coated it. I hear you on weighing oneself a lot, I used to be a bit obsessed with my scale when I had it, I finally threw it out.

Does anyone have any preferences for WW online/etools or meetings? I am thinking of doing online/etools again, it's just the idea of having a scale at home which upsets and unnerves me a bit. Can anyone recommend a scale?

Take care!

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #107  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
Hi there...

Happy belated birthday Hope!

Fiona, thank you for your kind words. I like the support here.

I'm just having a rough night or rather a rough week. It was initially a nasty arguement with my Mom, then some "friends" have been getting on my nerves making me wonder whether or not I want to stay friends with them. Oh and the thing that caught me completely off guard was hearing a doctor say today that he suggested surgery for my nose and sinuses since I have recurrent infections, nosebleeds and congestion. I wasn't expecting to hear that and I had a nasal/sinus surgery 2 decades ago. It helped tremendously even though it was incredibly painful, true agony. I don't know, I think they have improved things a lot. I still don't want to do it though. The other side issue is I have been doing online dating, some guys seem nice but most of them seem pressuring and creepy, ick!

Sigh, thanks for listening.
Real sorry about the rough week "friends" that don't act like friends are sometimes not worth the bother, if they keep disappointing you best wishes on the online dating, must be daunting to go swimming in that sea to find a good fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona W View Post
I worked very hard on the BERP (Big Entropy Reduction Project) today. My right shoulder is a bit achey from all the scissors work, but it's not injured or anything, so I'm hangin' in here. My sweetie helped out by doing some much-needed grocery shopping for me. I'll have cream for my coffee in the morning.

All is well tonight, as I prepare to go to bed early and dream of orange fur-balls. Ahhh....
Good work on the project! and isn't it wonderful when the partner steps up and does something so helpful..boy the cream for the coffee is VERY important isn't it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worththeeffort2 View Post
Ladies, the legs be shaved. I'm heading to the pool after work tonight. *Yikes!*
YAY worththeeffort2!!! we will be thinking of you tonight!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilturtle View Post

I'm hanging in there. Not much to report. Trying to resist the urge to weigh like every hour now. lol I'm out of my buspar due to a screw up at the pharmacy but I should be getting it today. Not sure it does anything.
Well you must be so happy at stepping on teh scale and seeing your losses! Hope you get your Buspar today.

I've been sticking to my diet very well, I'm amazed to say :shock: Don't know where my willpower is coming from and why I couldn't grasp it any sooner, but whatever. Even when things seem good, I see I do have to PUSH and propel myself into action..like right now I know it is relatively mild outside (50) and sunny so I could do yard work, which I do like, but it is just as easy to talk myself into continuing to sit here on the computer, or taking my Kindlefire upstairs to my room and laying down to watch a movie and falling asleep I need a nanny or a paid companion or someone to prod me

*edit to add, I did go out to rake for an hour, yay. And my exercise today was Annie Mair's Cardio Force dvd, 30 min. step cardio then 5 min. ab conditioning.

Last edited by VermontMom; 04-24-2014 at 05:23 PM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #108  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Wink

Hi Holly

It's good to hear from you and thank you so much for your kind words and the hug!

I saw my therapist today and we had a good talk. It felt good to unload a lot of these feelings off of my chest. He is nice but he cuts right to the chase and makes his point, which is nice.

I am not sure what I am going to do with these "friends." My therapist suggested writing a card saying that I miss their friendship. I'm not sure.

Personally, I feel so much better being back at home with my guinea pig, Snickers. He is so therapeutic for me, it's funny because he loves to nibble at my fingers. Today, my friend came over and helped me pack up for the move, I am glad that we made a dent in the packing. She is very kind, she helped care for me after my ankle surgery. We've become very close and she cares for Snickers whenever I go away.

Have a good night and take care!

Amy
Old 04-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #109  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

<-- Here I am, doing laps at the pool.

A lot of emotions came up over my time at the lap pool. I actually used the women's locker room to change. Trauma One. I was able to find an empty toilet stall for some privacy to change into my suit. The pre-pool shower was icy-icy cold. Walking out into the public pool area required just biting the bullet and stepping out of the locker room. Fortunately, once I took my glasses off, I couldn't see a thing so was unable to tell if people were shooting looks at me or not. That was unsettling as well as a relief.

The chlorine bothered me in a way it never has before. Of course, it has been some 15 years since I've been anywhere near a pool or swam a stroke. Anyway, I ended up with a blistering headache. Despite hydrating all day long--we're talking about 120 oz of water--I got dehydrated very quickly and ended up feeling very dizzy and sick to my stomach as I was leaving. Lots of fresh air, 18 oz of water, and 20 minutes later, I started to feel normal again.

Since it has been so very long since I've been swimming, my stroke and kick were incredibly weak but I slowly made my way back and forth, the length of the lap pool about 10 times in 30 minutes. I did have to take breaks in between but I also used the edge of the pool to hang on and practice scissor kicks and to stretch.

It ended up being a good, overall workout. I worked muscles from head to toe, including those hard to reach glutes. (Holy crap!) I do think I need to re-evaluate my workout schedule, if I'm going to use the pool regularly and add a day at the gym just for the pool while keeping two days for strength training. One day of strength training a week just isn't going to be enough to keep making progress.

Anyhoo--I took an incredibly scary step and survived! Thank you, Holly and everyone else here for offering such great support. If anyone on the forum has been up in the air about doing something that scares them, I'm here to tell you, just step up and do it.
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 404/306/170ish

Height: 5'7"

worththeeffort I am so proud of you for taking the first step at the pool. I don't have the confidence to go to the pool. Was trying on suits the other day and my excess skin made me look horrendous (if that's a word)

seabiscuit hope you feel better soon

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Last edited by projectjudi; 04-25-2014 at 07:11 AM.
projectjudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi Everyone.

Had a rough couple of days. I was feeling so good coming off the weekend, getting some much yard and house work done, plus having a weight loss, that I forgot to take my medication Monday morning. Then I had to be at work at 5:30a.m. for a special meeting on Tuesday, which caused me to forget for the second day in a row. By the end of the day Tuesday I was in a hideous funk. Which isn't normal for me...usually if I forget my medicine I just get stressed out and really really *****y, but I think because no one was around (almost the entire department was out Monday) instead of having someone to snap out, I just got really morose. I just wanted to cry, and stay in bed with my pets (I have 2 cats and a dog, I'll post some pictures eventually). Since it was such a quiet week at work, I went ahead and called in sick the last two days and did just that.

On the one hand it is sad to realize that I'm so dependent on the medication. My mom was very anti-medicine, wouldn't even take tylenol and didn't have us vaccinated, so on some level it makes me feel week to need medication. But then again, it is a huge relief now that there is something that can help. That I really have a problem, and I'm not just lazy or stupid. This group has really been helpful...I'm extremely open about this kind of stuff, but none of my immediate circle has any experience with it at all...and I think it kind of scares them a little.

Anyway, had a great weigh in this morning (I weigh M & F, I tried to do once a week, but I've found it helps to know before the weekend how well I did during the week, helps keep the momentum going). Down 1.2lbs since Monday. The no sugar thing really hasn't been that hard, surprisingly. I still crave a coke occasionaly, and I made my little brother let me smell his ice cream sandwich the other day, but on a day by day basis it has been really easy. I think I will make it an ongoing thing, not militant obviously, but only for special occasions, one or twice a month.

Thanks for reading all that.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #112  

worththeeffort2 - Great job starting up swimming again. That must be a fabulous workout. I was wondering, are you sure it was the chlorine that was bothering you at the pool? I ask because you said you had your glasses off and coudln't see, and I'm also practically blind, and if I go around without corrective lenses I get dizzy and nauseated and severe headaches. Don't know if you considered it, but when I swim I wear contacts with goggles, and it makes all the difference in the world.

seabiscuit - So glad you have a good therapist to help you out. I imagine that can make a huge difference.

Vermont mom - You are really impressive with the dieting and exercise. So inspiring!!

lilturle - I went through a phase when I weighed all the time too. I had to put my scale up in an awkward place so it was more trouble than it was worth to break me of the habit. Now it doesn't bother me so much so I just keep it under my calendar. And everytime I weigh I write the number right on the calendar. It makes for a nice visual. And great job on the 13lbs lost!! That is fantastic for one month.

Fiona W - Good luch on your BERP project. Your comment about the scissors reminds me of my dad explaining to me why the guys who cut sheet metal have one arm that is so much bigger than the other...

project judi - Wow, I hadn't noticed your total weight loss either. That is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!! You really are a rock star of weight loss. You can do anything!

ohio free spirit - I love Castle. Well, it is really Nathan Fillion that I love, but he practically plays himself in Castle, so all is good. I haven't watched it for a couple of seasons, but I'm sure I'll pick it back up eventually.

Chelsea - I love yoga. It is so relaxing and peaceful...and is surprising tough on your core. The first month I did it I lost 2 inches off my waist. That is something that I really need to get back into.

Alita - Welcome! Sometimes we need baby steps, and if your first one is just posting, then good for you! We'll be here.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #113  
He is Risen! Alleluia!

S/C/G: 205/181.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone,

My name is Sabrina or FleurDeLis, whichever you prefer. I was diagnosed with depression in high school. I'm now 24 and after several defiant trials by me where I stopped taking my citalopram, I'm very accepting of the fact that I will most likely be on a medication for this for the rest of my life. I now take sertraline, generic zoloft. I was prescribed that when I became pregnant last summer.

I gave birth to a stillborn daughter on March 21, 2014. I was 38 weeks pregnant. The first few days and weeks were very rough. My husband and I have clung to our Catholic faith during this time and it has strengthened us. Quite honestly I'm shocked to be doing so well. I would have thought that having already suffered from depression, it would make this even more difficult, but like I said, I have found incredible strength with my faith.

I have one more week left before I return to work. I'm not excited about this because my job involves seeing children quite a bit. I have been searching for another job, but it's a slow process. Basically, I don't want to stay at my current job long term anymore. I have a bit of a feeling that returning to work is going to bring on a sudden wave of issues for me. :/

Seabiscuit- I met my husband via online dating. It took me a year or two and weeding through a lot of guys who were creepy/just wanted to have sex, but I did find a good one. We were engaged on our one year anniversary and married on our two year anniversary. Don't get discouraged, there's someone great out there just waiting to meet you!

worththeeffort- nice job on the swimming. I did a lot of swimming during my early pregnancy. I just love being in the water. I can't wait to get clearance from my doctor to get back in the pool. Before I wore a two piece, now sadly due to the weight gain from pregnancy and the atrocious stretch marks, I'll be getting a one piece for sure!
FleurDeLis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #114  

Hi Sabrina. Welcome to the group.

So very sorry for your loss. I'm glad you are able to find strength in your faith.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 470/ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

Well it's Friday and I want pizza. Instead I am having baked chicken and squash. *sigh* I haven't weighed myself today. I am going to try to stick to Wednesdays for now. I think it would be discouraging to do it every day. I'm leaving for FL soon to visit my mom. Well sort of soon. The 5th. I hate my bothing suit. It is purple which is my favorite color but I think I look a bit like Barney. I always wear a long tshirt over it. I don't know what I think I am hiding. When it is wet the tshirt sticks to me anyways. But still I wear a tshirt. I will be going to the pool often when I am in FL. My mom lives in The Villages and they have like 60 pools or some other crazy number. We may go to St Augustine for the day but I am more interested in the hisotrical sites then the beach.

I'm reading along with everyone and wishing you all well!
lilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #116  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Monte Cristo, I am so sorry you were thrown so off track by missing your medication..ugh! So hopefully once you re-take it you can get back to your cool self

worththeeffort, YAY on taking that scary step! and so glad it was a great workout for you .

lil'turle - mmm baked chicken and squash sounds delicious, I hope it was filling and good for you! good choice!

Sabrini - hello and ! words can't express how sorry I am to hear what happened to your baby ... I hope we get to know each other and hope you find this forum as great and supportive as I have.

HI to everyone else!

I did not do a workout today...it's okay, I am minding my food, and I had alot of calories burned from cleaning my DH's side of the room like a demon! One bag of trash, six boxes of clothes and household stuff OUT of there and taken to re-use center. Vacuumed thoroughly. It'll look good for maybe a couple weeks

OH how could I forget this - I GOT OUT ON MY MOTORCYCLE TODAY finally! just a short ride to town but it .. was .. GREAT

Last edited by VermontMom; 04-25-2014 at 04:42 PM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #117  
He is Risen! Alleluia!

S/C/G: 205/181.5/145

Height: 5'5"

MonteCristo- Thanks.

lilturtle- Good job on resisting the pizza and going for the healthier option! I gain confidence when I resist temptation. Today when I was grocery shopping I picked up a box of krispy cream doughnut holes. They smelled good and looked good. When I saw how high the calories were, I slowly set them down and walked away.

Vermontmom-Thank you. I feel really welcome and comfortable here. It's nice to combine weight loss and our struggles as well. So excited you go to get out and ride! I had a motorcycle a few years ago. I sold it so I could move out of my parents house and into my own apartment. It was so much fun. I loved it! I'd like to get another one sometime, but my DH probably wouldn't approve. :/
FleurDeLis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #118  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Wink

Hi there,

I hope that everyone is having a good day. I am going back to see my family doctor tomorrow, I felt very congested and fatigued when I woke up this morning, I really slept in and I almost never sleep in as late as I did. I'm on antibiotics again, maybe I should get this nasal and sinus surgery, I am getting a couple of other opinions. I feel badly that I was a little snippy with one of the receptionists at one of the doc's offices, I apologized. I think that I feel so unnerved with the possibility for needing surgery again that I am scared and anxious. I haven't really been myself lately with feeling emotionally more on edge and out of whack and physically also feeling drained.

I appreciate all of the support here. Everyone is so caring and kind.

worth the effort- Good for you for swimming laps! I really wanted to swim today but I just didn't feel up to it. I find swimming to be so relaxing.

project judi- Thank you, I appreciate your well wishes.

Monte Cristo- Way to go on the weigh in! Yes, I do like my therapist and I will miss him after I leave. It feels great to be able to get my feelings off of my chest.

Sabrina- I am so sorry for your loss, huge hugs.

Lilturtle- Hi from another part of PA!!

Holly- Hi! Good for you for doing household cleaning. I need to do more of that.
It's exhausting but worth it!

Take care everyone, TGIF!!

Amy
Old 04-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #119  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the Ups & Downs thread, Sabrina! I am very sorry to hear abut the loss of your baby. That must have been, must still be, devastating. You sound like you're being really brave about it. I'm on psych meds for the rest of my life, too, so I know the feeling. Just remember you are still the same person on antidepressants: if they help you, they are helping you be more the real you, not the depressed you.

worththeeffort2— Way to go for braving the locker room, getting in the pool, and making a good first effort!! I want to start swimming, too, but not for afew months. You're my hero!

I'm bearing up better under the pressure of the BERP (Big Entropy Reduction Project, in my house) than I was yesterday. I'm trying hard to make sure I get the right nutrition, at the right times, and that I stay hydrated. I've decided to take a break from the work every day between 1 PM and 5 PM, because afternoons are my worst time of day, and I'm giving myself every Sunday off. Yesterday I was pretty stressed out about it, but that feeling hit in the afternoon. Today's afternoon break really helped. Well, I've got to get back to it....Take care, y'all!
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #120  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Cool I'm Back!!!

Hello Everyone!!! My goodness, I absolutely LOVE the support and conversation that is going on in our group!!! Maybe I need to go away more often! Seriously, though, I truly appreciate everyone's input. Holly and Fi, you did an excellent job of making everyone feel comfortable and welcome and I am beyond grateful for your presence here! Please keep it up! We are all in this together, after all!!! I would so appreciate it if you both would be co-leaders of the group with me! No pressure; just an invitation. I did actually check in once during my vacation and had written a LONG post and then it got lost in cyberspace and we had to leave the resort to go to dinner. I was so bummed out to lose my post, but I LOVED seeing all of the other posts in the group! It looks like our group has "officially" taken off! We had a wonderful vacation with perfect weather. My eating was not great most days, so I really dread seeing the damage on the scale. Not sure if I will weigh in tomorrow or not. I had taken several pairs of shorts from last summer, and ~ when I went to wear them in Florida ~ they were either too tight or barely fit, so I had to go buy bigger shorts! That was really a BUMMER, but I tried to not let it get me too down. I am trying to push forward and get back on board. My weight is obviously creeping up again, but I will NOT go down without a fight!!! Now that we are back home, I need to really control my eating and exercise consistently again. I go back to the doctor in May to have my thyroid levels checked again (since starting the medication Synthroid), so that will be interesting.

Sabrina: to our group! I am so very sorry for the loss of your precious daughter. We lost one of our twins 18 years ago (first pregnancy) to extreme prematurity. He lived for 14 hours. The death of a child is so painful. Words cannot describe the heartbreak that is felt. My heart goes out to you. Like you, I/we found comfort in our Catholic faith. It is the only thing that kept me from going crazy! Happy to hear that it has kept you strong through your grief. Best of luck to you as you return to work and with your search for a new job! Glad you posted!

Trish (lilturtle): I am soooooooooooooooooooooo incredibly HAPPY that you have returned to the group!!! And a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!!! Glad that you finally have a scale, thanks to your scale angel, Fi!

worththeeffort2: I am so impressed with your swimming excursion!!! You are inspiring me to get outdoors soon (as weather permits) and do laps in our new backyard swimming pool. Heck, I am embarrassed to put on a swimsuit in our own back yard!!! You are a rock star for braving it at the gym!!! So happy that your swimsuit finally arrived! Do you like it as much as you hoped you would? Happy to see you keep posting!

Amy (seabiscuit): So sorry that you have not felt quite yourself. Good luck deciding on the nasal and sinus surgery. Not an easy decision, I would imagine. I hope you also decide what to do with your "friends" that have you in a dilemna. On the WW decision, I personally feel that the meetings would be more beneficial and make you feel more accountable. I tried WW Online very briefly and found it too easy to stray. You have lots of decisions to make. One thing at a time! Hang in there!

MonteCristo: Sorry that you had a rough time after forgetting your meds two days in a row. It can be really scary to feel so dependent on meds, but thank God for them, too, ya know?!? Congrats on being down 1.2 pounds at your Friday weigh-in! Glad to see you continue to post here!

projectjudi: I was just gonna chime in with the others who reminded you that you are certainly NOT a loser!!! So happy everyone was here to support you through a difficult time. Hope you are feeling at least a little bit better about things now. One day and one moment at a time! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Alita: Happy that you posted!

hope4me: Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you had a wonderful day! Did you do anything special to celebrate? I can sooooo relate to being bigger than ever and bigger than you ever thought you would be. I am in the same boat! We can both turn this around, though, and LOSE the weight!!! Let's do it together!!!

Chelsea (CDubsGotGoats): Hate to hear that you have been battling with depression lately. I hope you are feeling at least somewhat better by the time you read this post. Big hugs to you!

Fi: Good luck as you continue with the BERP in your home. What exactly is that? I am happy to hear that you are focusing on getting adequate nutrition and sleep and taking well-deserved breaks at regular intervals during this project. Thank you again for welcoming the newbies and supporting everyone in my absence.

Holly: You are doing so well lately ~ with both weight loss and decluttering!!! You are an inspiration to me!!! I hope all of your hard work pays off with the slimmer and trimmer YOU that you so desire! I really appreciate all of your support and presence here while I was gone. You really have things rolling here and I hope it will continue! So happy to hear that you got out on that bike, "Cupcake!"

Last edited by IBelieveInMe2; 04-25-2014 at 09:26 PM.
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote