Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 470/ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

seabiscuit - I am from PA too. Where abouts are you? I'm in Harrisburg.

Judi - Hang in there. You are not a loser.

I am camera shy so I'll have to dig around for pictures or post one of the awful selfies. I just hate having my picture taken.

I am thinking of doing Wonderslim in June. I will be away most of May. I'm not sure I can afford it. I am still doing research. I need to do something more healthy then what I am doing now. I'm not getting enough protien most days.
lilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 198/190/135

Height: 5'6

Hi All,

Sorry to have been away most of the month, I have been following. I have been having really bad depression problems so it is all I can do to manage the necessities; getting up in the morning, making it through work, taking care of the critters. How great to see everyones faces! I will see if I can find a picture somewhere around, we don't take a lot. Anyway, not a lot to say just wanted to check in.

Chelsea
CDubsGotGoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 194/160/145

Height: 5'10

I've been away from this forum for a while, my weight has gone up and I don't seem to be able to stop it...I feel awful even though I do a lot of exercise, I can't stop eating. I'm hoping posting on here again will help . Hope everyone's doing ok!

Last edited by Alita; 04-21-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Alita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 404/306/170ish

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for all the encouragement and recommendations everyone!
So far today I am eating healthy. Praying I can keep it up. So sick of feeling so sluggish and ashamed.
Fi I did check out that website and you did an amazing job on the introduction. I am having difficulty getting the book in Canada. I don't have an e reader and that seems to be the only way I can get it. May have to take a trip across the border.
Worth the effort I will definately check out that Cd. Sometimes I really struggle with concentrating enough to read so this would be a bonus.
Thanks all for listening to me and supporting me. It means the world to me
hugs
Judi
projectjudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #80  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Hi there...

Lil turtle - I'm in Bucks, moving to Philly in June. I'm not sure if I've ever been to Harrisburg.

I got back from my trip last night, I'm tired and my mom and I got into a huge fight, she never apologizes. I try to repair things when they go wrong but she is very difficult at times.

I'm thinking of rejoining WW, but the idea of getting on the scale scares me a bit, any ideas?

Thanks.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #81  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Welcome back, seabiscuit! Sorry to hear about your difficulties with your mother. Sometimes those of us who try to fix other people, or fix our relationships, have to just back off and say, "This is beyond my power to fix." As for being afraid of the scale...why do you need the scale right now? The goal is longterm change in your eating behavior, right? You can get back on track toward that change right now, without the scale, and without the structure of a program like Weight Watchers. You've come a long way so far and accomplished a lot of weight loss. You can do it!

Welcome to the Ups & Downs Support Group, Alita! The first step is to start posting here—every day, if you can possibly swing it. You start being more accountable to yourself if you're posting about your daily struggles.

Judi— Thanks for your kind words about my article in the "Tips for Beginners, Continued" section of the Brain Over Binge blog: you're talking about my "yappy dog" story, right? I'm sorry to hear you're havin' trouble getting a copy of the book. I read one comment that distilled the essence of Kathryn Hansen's technique like this: Make a clear distinction in your mind between You, the "higher" brain, the person in charge of what you eat, and It, the thing in your "lower" brain that wants to binge. Every time you catch yourself thinking, "I want to binge," stop immediately and change that to "It wants to binge." And remember that You are the person who controls your hands, not It. And then use something like my "yappy dog" scenario to help you visualize that distinction. Does that make sense? (And here's the link to my article, in case anyone else wants to know what we're talking about.)

Chelsea— I'm so sorry to hear you're in the grips of the Big Bad D. Please know my thoughts are with you, as you struggle through this time. I've been there—oh man, have I...

Oh, and by the way, folks, I screwed up about what day it was: I was so eager for my weigh-in on the 22nd, I weighed myself a day early, on the 21st. Why is this of any interest to anyone? Because tomorrow, Tuesday, is Earth Day.

I was wondering why my radio station wasn't playing Earth-related songs all day like they had announced they would! Duh...

Last edited by Fiona W; 04-21-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #82  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
I'm thinking of rejoining WW, but the idea of getting on the scale scares me a bit, any ideas?
If WW works for you, just do it. Don't let fear of the scale stop you. You need to do what is best for you and only you can decide what that is. Remember, it isn't about "can" and "can't," it's about "will" and "won't." When you start thinking in those terms, you'll start to reach your truth and you know what they say about the truth setting you free!

It's back to the gym for strength training today. No swimsuit, yet. Maybe it'll arrive in today's mail? The long weekend was all about cardio for me. I'm going to keep dogging it this week with hopes of seeing another 2 lb loss by Saturday's weigh in.
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #83  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

So good to hear from Lil'turtle!

Chelsea - thank you for checking in..we are so sorry to hear that the big D has got you down, sometimes the next day can be so much better, so hang in there

Seabiscuit, real sorry about the fight, especially when it seemed there was a good time going on! btw, we used to live in Bucks County!

MonteCristo, you are so young! and cute! and where was that fabulous location, of the family pic?

worththeeffort - wow you are soooo much happier and smiley in your 60-flippin-pounds gone pic! hope your swimsuit arrives soon and WTG on your cardio and today, strength.

Judi Hi and I hope your control goes back to how strong it was for so long

Alita - Kudos to you for all your exercise! sometimes it just takes the brain a while to realize you're trying to do good things and then maybe the eating less mentality kicks in.

Fiona, Kathleen will be so happy on your exemplary role in commenting and helping everyone here! I'm glad you were eager for your weigh-in and now you can celebrate Earth Day again

Ohio, I love the 3 generation pic! and I'm glad that tho' your daughter went back to college, she will be back soon with you.

I feel I have to confess on a minor binge last night. I'm embarrassed to even say what it was, food-wise, maybe I can just calculate calories and I guess it was probably 500 calories. But sugar and fat. I've done very well at no sugar for almost 7 days straight. I've just got to suck it up and go on I let myself have 2 small cupcakes for Easter dinner dessert, and i wonder if that was what woke up the Sugar Craving monster.

Yesterday was also the first day in a week I didn't do a workout..I wonder if there is any connection. I was active outside, raking and picking up about a thousand sticks, but I didn't do a 'real' dvd-type workout. I will post back here when I complete a workout for today, I promise.

Oh yea, did I complain to you all about the junked van in our driveway that's been there forever? I did get it cleaned out and it was hauled away yesterday and they gave me a check for $150! remember when we had to pay to have junkers hauled away? I speak of this because part of my depression circles around clutter, seeing things that don't get worked on, feeling inadequate, stuff like that. When I do tackle a horrid project and it gets done solely due to my energy alone, that helps me alot.

Ah!! last edit. Started my bike, but she is sputtering and coughing and I can't get her to move ahead in first gear without stalling. Taking small steps first, I ordered an air cleaner kit and we will clean my air filter first to see if that helps. Weather is turning cooler and wetter for a couple days so I can be patient.

Last edited by VermontMom; 04-22-2014 at 09:55 AM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post

MonteCristo, you are so young! and cute! and where was that fabulous location, of the family pic?
Ah, thanks. I don't feel that young (28) but I do get that all the time. The family picture was taken in front of St Mark's Basiclia in Venice.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #85  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Cool

Hi there!

Thank you all for such positive support!

Holly- that's funny, what a small world! I live in Doylestown now but I'm moving to Philly in June. I have also lived in Upper Bucks, Sellersville, Quakertown and Richlandtown.

Fiona- thank you for your support!

Sorry, I can't scroll back to see who posted about WW but I found that reply very supportive. I'm seeing my therapist Thursday, I will talk with him about this.

Take care! Happy Spring!!!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 198/190/135

Height: 5'6

Welcome new and established friends!

Thank you for the support everyone. Fi, how exciting about your kitties they are beautiful!

I have started a core strength yoga/pilates class monday and wednesday during my lunch break. It is a really small class(only one other lady so far) which I really like. She is about the same size as I am, so it is encouraging and I don't feel embarrassed. I had to make myself pay for the 10 class course to 'encourage' myself to go every week. I have 3 months to finish 10 classes. It is really the first big step I have taken towards changing my patterns and I am a little nervous since I have been feeling so bad lately; sometimes I don't think I will be able to keep up the motivation to go. The small size will be helpful with that though... I sure am sore today, but it feels good.

On a happy note, the geese are sitting so we should have goslings in 3-4 weeks, and we got some duckies and a couple more chickens. Lots of shenanigans going on in the yard. There is a rainbow of eggs coming in now! One of the ducks lays blue eggs and the others lay a light pink, and the chickens lay a light brown and a dark speckled brown, the geese big white ones. It is nice to have enough coming in to share now too.

And a funny note, I have always know the "Big D" as something else, (diarrhea), so I got a good laugh out of your comments. Thank you again for the support, and also the unintentional humor

I will try to check in more often, I'm doing my best to fight the Big D :laughing: through behavioural changes since my anti-depressants are doing a really bad job.

Best to all,
Chelsea
CDubsGotGoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #87  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Chelsea, I love the visual of all those beautifully colored eggs so, you must sell/cook the eggs? do duck eggs taste different than chicken eggs? I hope i don't offend anyone here who is vegan maybe..i do love chicken eggs.

LOL @ the different version of The Big D

okay I promised I would come back and post my exercise; I started Jillian Michaels 6 Week 6 Pack Abs level 1; did about 12 minutes then was interrupted by a necessary phone call. Could not get the TV to go back to my stopping point so then I did her Ripped in 30, for a total of 40 minutes. Then raking outside.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 470/ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

Chelsea - Sorry to hear about the depression. I have been there quite often. It's hard to imagine it ever ending but it always does. Hang in there. This to shall pass.

I ate pie yesterday that was sent home with me on Easter. It was so good. So I ate pie for two days in a row. I am out of pie now so no more junk food. I have eaten just a granola bar today and will eat some pickles and carrots for dinner to make up for too many calories yesterday and Sunday. Have to get back on track. Still looking into Wonderslim. It would be healthier then what I am doing now.
lilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #89  
on a journey

Hi ladies,

Chelsea, I am so sorry you are struggling. We are all here for you if you need us.

With Easter here, I haven't been doing very well candy-wise. sigh

I am watching my favorite show, Castle. I am obsessed. If you've never seen it, you've got to watch it.

My class is done. My second session starts in a week. I am just waiting on my final grade. I hope I get an A.

I hope you all are well.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #90  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I had a chance to make a fun collage today, one that I think Holly in particular might enjoy: here it is.

I've been struggling a bit because I think the dose for my short-acting Adderal is too high—makes me feel really funky, like my brain is scrambled. I only take the short-acting one when I go to bed late and wake up late, because the extended-release version gives me insomnia if I take it too late in the morning. I'm motivated to get to bed on time tonight!
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote