Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #31  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Talking Lots of activity here!

Wow, lots of activity here in the past few days! I love it!!! I am pretty much back on board with healthy eating and portions, but haven't exercised for several days. Getting ready to go on Spring Break vacation. Not sure if I'll be in touch via the internet, so please forgive me if I can't post until the 26th, and please everyone else, keep posting and supporting one another!

1life2liv: How SCARY about your dog biting your daughter on the face!!! So sorry that happened!!! I, too, would opt for adoption over euthanasia. Maybe the dog needs to be in a home without children. What does your vet say? Is your daughter okay? Understandable that you found some comfort in food. Good for you for talking yourself down before way overdoing it! I can imagine how uncomfortable that must have been to have thoughts of purging, but the important thing to focus on is that you did NOT purge, even under pressure. Maybe journal about the whole situation to help yourself "debrief." Good luck with everything! BIG HUGS to you!!!

Holly: Sorry you have felt blah the past couple weeks. That is no fun! I hope you get your energy and spirit back soon, "Cupcake!" Yes, we both need to work on keeping our focus on the positive and making healthy choices in order to get to what we truly want ~ a slimmer and trimmer body! WE CAN DO IT!!! I hope you will thoroughly ENJOY your 3 weeks off before you start your summer job!

ohiofreespirit: Happy to hear that you are excited about school and that your mood is good! Best of luck juggling both Business and Math! It is kind of nice that you will have one class in person and one online. Keeps it interesting!

Fi: Love the names Oscar and Nenu and your reasons for both! Can't wait until you can hold your sweet kittens!!! So sorry that your meds got screwed up and you are having a rough time of it depression-wise. That should not have happened with your meds! I can understand your frustration and irritation. I hope you are back on meds and feeling better by the time you read this post. Hang in there! BiG HUGS to you!

worththeeffort2: Good for you for getting your gym schedule started!!! YOU ARE DOING IT!!! WooHoo!!! Are you swimming in your new swimsuit?!? Good luck on getting in those veggies!

projectjudi: Of course it's okay for you to join the group!!! We are happy to have you here with us! That's a bummer that you have more downs than ups, but glad to hear that your meds are keeping you pretty stable at the moment. Good for you for joining Weight Watchers. Remember, slow and steady wins the race! Slow weight loss has the best chance of staying off, so you are doing well! Focus on the POSITIVE!!!

Hey, Chelsea and Trish and shr1nk1ngme, are you gals still around?!? I hope you are at least reading along. If so, please post and let us know how things are going for you! We care!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone. Things have been going pretty well for me lately. On my medicine, mood staying pretty level (have bitten anyone's head off). Haven't lost any weight this week, but that was expected. Starting tomorrow I'm going off sugar for 30 days to try and "reset" myself...I been drinking too many sodas (sugar free ones set off my anxiety) and eating other sweet things, and I haven't had much luck in just cutting back, so I thought I'd try this. Have a nice 3 day weekend to get through the initial cravings.

1life2live - Wow, having your dog bite your daughter must have been terrifying. And now having to decide what course of action to take...you have my sympathy.

FI - Cute names for your new cats. I love cats, mine have been a huge blessing to me...and they can always tell when I need snuggles. That is terrible about your medicine. My insurance company had some kind of major snafu a while back and I got a total run around from the pharmacy / insurance company / doctor for 6 weeks while waiting for them to let me have my prescription. I mean seriously, I take this medication so I don't loose my temper and punch someone in the face, and they give me the run around for 6 weeks? It was not a pretty picture. They eventually fixed it after I planted myself in my doctors waiting room and pretty much had a complete meltdown. Hope things go much smoother for you.

projectjudi - I'm fairly new myself, but welcome!

I'm terrible about personals, but HI! to everyone else. I may not always remember to speak to you directly all the time, but I read your posts, and it is comforting just to know others are going through the same things.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #33  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1life2liv View Post
but we cant let the choices and lifestyle of others interfere with our own success.
This really resonated with me! I've been using the excuse of 'well my husband doesn't even try to limit his desires' because he will bring home ice cream, or other bad treats.

I have been holding this in for a long time. My email is completely open to him so I don't write about this because I don't want to hurt his feelings or have him get defensive but I don't know what to do.

thanks for the vent opportunity.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #34  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo View Post
Hi everyone.
Hi and

'sokay at not doing personals, everyone does what they can and we just hang together

best wishes at kicking sugar!! I went without for about 2 weeks last year and that was quite an accomplishment for me.

Last edited by VermontMom; 04-16-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #35  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInMe2 View Post
Wow, lots of activity here in the past few days! I love it!!! I am pretty much back on board with healthy eating and portions, but haven't exercised for several days. Getting ready to go on Spring Break vacation. Not sure if I'll be in touch via the internet, so please forgive me if I can't post until the 26th, and please everyone else, keep posting and supporting one another!)
congrats on getting back on board with healthy food and portions!! Work the exercise in when you can. I will try to be as good as you, here, with posting and encouraging, if you can't check in

Last edited by VermontMom; 04-16-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #36  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectjudi View Post
Hi everyone!
Hope it's ok for me to join this thread.
I am bipolar but have more downs than ups. Right now my meds are keeping me pretty stable (for the first time in 25 years)
I have lost quite a bit of weight over the past 7 years but not in a healthy way. Starving then binging Starving and binging and repeat.
I joined weight watchers several months ago and it has worked for me although it has been slow.
I look forward to joining this thread!
hugs Judi
Hi and and of course, you are welcome here. Also sorry about more downs than ups..hope your moods can keep at pretty stable
Old 04-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #37  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worththeeffort2 View Post
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I've started my Tuesday/Thursday schedule of going to the gym after work. After a 45-minute workout, I chugged a bottle of water and headed for home. Leaving the gym, I walked smack into a wall of grilled beef and fried onions smell from the dining commons across the road from the gym. It was mouth-watering but I simply enjoyed the delicious smell, knowing it wouldn't taste as good as it smelled, anyway. No calories wasted there. Stuck to my program but I really do need to do better at eating vegetables.
congrats at starting your workout routine! AND for drinking water...AND for ignoring the wafting temptation !
Old 04-17-2014, 01:07 AM   #38  
I can do it!!!

Talking Quick update!

Hello Support Buddies! This morning when I stepped on the scale, I showed a 2.5 pound weight loss!!!!! I am soooooooooooooo excited because I think it might be due to the thyroid med I began earlier in the month. Oh how happy I would be if I could begin losing weight consistently again!!!

MonteCristo: Great to hear from you again! Best of luck to you going off sugar for 30 days! Hope it helps.

Holly: Thank you for being willing to help "hold down the fort" while I am away. I leave early Friday morning and will return the 25th. I think hubby is taking his computer, so I might touch base while gone, but not sure. Regardless, I will be thinking about everyone and wishing you all well! I will do my best to make healthy choices and get lots of walking (on the beach!) in! But I am also not going to be too hard on myself if I slip. It IS vacation, after all! But I am excited about this little weight loss and hope to keep the trend going DOWNWARD!!!

Hello to everyone else! 1life2liv, I hope your daughter is okay!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #39  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

Back to the gym today for me. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I really appreciate it. The swimsuit has not arrived in the mail, yet. It should be here--maybe Saturday? I'm not sure. I'm hoping it fits properly and, if so, I may add a third day to my workout schedule in order to add swimming without taking away from my strength training.

My doctor recommended I use the rowing machine, which I have been doing but I'm finding it is one of the most boring pieces of exercise equipment I've ever touched. Think of what it would be like to be sitting on your butt, trying to start a giant, pull-start lawn mower without spark plugs. Endless cranking without even the frustrating engine sputter that drives you to pull again. Thank heavens for my iPod Shuffle. I'm up to 15 minutes, which is about 2800m of rowing for me, according to the machine's readout. The trainer recommended I do no less than 3000m each session, once I work up to that point. I do think I'll need to get a pair of workout gloves to protect the inside of my knuckles from fiction against the pull bar.

I have a cute story to share. When I got home from work last night, my husband gave me a big hug and a squeeze. I was hugging him and rubbing his back, enjoying the attention when I realized he was quietly testing to see if I've lost enough weight that he can make his hands touch behind my back! That made me smile because he never said a word. Soon! Just give me a few more months, sweetheart!

Have a wonderful day, everyone.
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #40  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
This morning when I stepped on the scale, I showed a 2.5 pound weight loss!!!!! I am soooooooooooooo excited because I think it might be due to the thyroid med I began earlier in the month. Oh how happy I would be if I could begin losing weight consistently again!!!
That is exciting! Good job, and have a wonderful Spring Break vacation. Hope you get to do lots of fun, active stuff!

Last edited by worththeeffort2; 04-17-2014 at 06:27 AM.
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #41  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worththeeffort2 View Post
one of the most boring pieces of exercise equipment I've ever touched. Think of what it would be like to be sitting on your butt, trying to start a giant, pull-start lawn mower without spark plugs. Endless cranking without even the frustrating engine sputter that drives you to pull again. Thank heavens for my iPod Shuffle.
LOL great description pull to that music! I agree gloves would be good to protect your hands. If I had a cardio/strength machine at home I guess I would force myself to use it, but I would also need to be driven by music. I do search out vids that use bodyweight exercises for my cardio.

Quote:
Hello Support Buddies! This morning when I stepped on the scale, I showed a 2.5 pound weight loss!!!!! I am soooooooooooooo excited because I think it might be due to the thyroid med I began earlier in the month. Oh how happy I would be if I could begin losing weight consistently again!!!
CONGRATS!! YAY you!

I am also optimistic, I changed my ticker 2# down, it might be water weight as I've only 'buckled down" on my eating for about 4 days...but I'll take it!! It is SO encouraging isn't it!!

HI to everyone else

I am cautiously optimistic that my funk might be over. I have gotten out of bed at a reasonable time and not gone back to bed for a few days in a row..and I find myself looking forward to the day, or the next day, as opposed to 'meh, whatever'.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #42  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Well I had to charge an ungodly amount of money on our credit card for only a month's supply, because we are temporarily without pharmacy coverage, but I finally got my meds and am feeling like myself again. I sure hope we get reimbursed...jeez...

Thanks, y'all, for the nice words about the kitten names. I'm pretty stressed out about the big change that will be coming up in July, when Bob and I will be parents of felines again. The house has to be absolutely squared away and spic-n-span before the wee ones arrive, and there's a WHOLE lot to do. I won't be making many collages for a while! One of the things I learned in med school that has really stuck with me over the years is that positive stressors, like new fur-kids to love, are just as hard on one's body and mind as the negative stressors we usually think of when we think about stress.

I had something happen yesterday that almost brought me to tears: all of a sudden, totally out of the blue, my beloved iPad2 has a crack in it—right down the middle, all the way from top to bottom. It doesn't alter the images very much, but it's most unsettling, because I was handling it with the same TLC I always do. I have no idea how it happened. Ever since my iPad2 arrived in the mail on April 14, 2011 (you see I remember the exact date), it's been my ever-present companion, basically surgically attached to me from dawn 'til midnight. I only use my laptop for scanning art & letters and uploading my collages: everything else, including reading books, writing the rough draft of a novel, painting portraits of our last pair of cats, learning French, and so much more, I do on the iPad2. I wouldn't even want an upgrade if someone gave it to me for free, because the subsequent iPads weigh a good bit more. So I hope this crack isn't the beginning of the end of what has been a lovely relationship...

Holly— Good job on starting to pull yourself out of your funk! "Fake it until you make it" is the attitude I embrace when I force myself to smile sometimes, just because exercising those side-of-the-mouth muscles is good for one's overall perspective. Just think about how much better things will be soon when you're doin' your fun job! And I agree: it makes a big difference when you get to change your ticker.

worththeeffort2— How great to hear that you've got yourself started on the rowing machines! And I really look forward to hearin' about that new swimsuit when it arrives, and the first time you get to use it.

Kathleen— All righty then about the 2.5 pounds!! And way to go on eating smaller portions: are you using a smaller plate than the rest of the family? I find it makes a big difference to me to use a luncheon-size plate rather than a full-size dinner plate, because then I can load up my plate and clean it entirely. Don't have a luncheon-size plate? Get a nice one, just for you: you're worth it, girl! I just ordered a small pottery dessert bowl to have my daily muesli in, to keep myself from being tempted to overindulge. Where are you going on your spring break vacation? Do tell...

MonteCristo— Great idea about going off sugar for 30 days! I think you'll find it makes a big difference in your energy levels. The last time I had any sugar was one dark chocolate bar on my birthday in late February, and I feel terrific!

projectjudi— Welcome on board the Ups & Downs thread! This is a very supportive crew: post every day if you possibly can, and you'll feel the love. I, too, am bipolar with lots more downs than ups, and I've also had problems with binge behavior. But I've been 100% binge free since last fall, thanks to a fabulous book, Kathryn Hansen's Brain Over Binge. Her website is also very useful: Kathryn posted my own story about how I've used her book in the followup to the "Tips for Beginners" section. Google "brain over binge blog" and check it out.

ohiofreespirit— It's really inspiring to read about how you're doing in school. Keep up with the great work!

1life2liv— Gosh, what a difficult decision to make about your biting dog! I hope things work out OK. I love your overall attitude, and get a lot out of reading your postings!

I hope not many of y'all are having to deal with temptations from Easter candy. Remember, if you have to indulge, it's far better to plan in advance for one dark chocolate item or the like, then take the time to savor every bite. Eating dyed hard-boiled eggs is also a way to go: healthy, and no sugar!

Last edited by Fiona W; 04-17-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #43  
Biker Chick!

"fur-kids" but sorry to hear of that crack! I sure hope it doesn't progress or do damage to your CC! (Constant Companion ) and very glad to hear you got your meds, though at a high cost >

I agree what a good idea, for us to have smaller plates/bowls. I have little sherbet-type glass bowls, well they were what everyone used about 50 years ago but now seem tiny, but that's what I have my yogurt, or sugar-free treat, in..and I eat that with a tiny long-handled baby spoon

Instead of starting a April Exercise thread so late in the month, maybe I'll just post here daily what I've done for exercise...today was a www.fitnessblender.com workouts, a Core/Cardio HIIT workout, 40 minutes. It made me sweat in a cold room so I know I worked hard

Last edited by VermontMom; 04-17-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #44  
I can do it!!!

Cool Until Next Time.....

This will be my last post until possibly the 25th, as we leave for vacation in the morning. Please keep posting and supporting each other, everyone! We have a GREAT group going here! I will so miss my pups (3 dogs), but thankfully they will be comfy in our home with a dogsitter and good friend of the family! She loves the pups, too, so all is good! Fi, we are going to Marco Island, Florida for Spring Break. We have been there before, but not since the kids were little. I can't wait! My hubby really needs a break from the stress at his job. It will be fun to have some special family time. My dad has always called vacations "an investment in memories," and that is how I look at them. One of my nieces is getting married on the beach on Easter Monday, and we will be joining them at the small private ceremony. Looking forward to making new memories this year!

Wishing all of you a very
Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #45  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
This will be my last post until possibly the 25th, as we leave for vacation in the morning. Please keep posting and supporting each other, everyone! We have a GREAT group going here! I will so miss my pups (3 dogs), but thankfully they will be comfy in our home with a dogsitter and good friend of the family! She loves the pups, too, so all is good! Fi, we are going to Marco Island, Florida for Spring Break. We have been there before, but not since the kids were little. I can't wait! My hubby really needs a break from the stress at his job. It will be fun to have some special family time. My dad has always called vacations "an investment in memories," and that is how I look at them. One of my nieces is getting married on the beach on Easter Monday, and we will be joining them at the small private ceremony. Looking forward to making new memories this year!

Wishing all of you a very
that sounds wonderful!! and so glad your doggies will be happy at home with a family friend. Enjoy the sun and warmth, girlfriend!