3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Depression and Weight Issues

Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Sorrow, mommy sorrow.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
A new day has REALLY come

S/C/G: 185/162/120

Height: 5' 1''

Unhappy Sorrow, mommy sorrow.

I'm making this thread because my heart is broken and I don't know who to turn to.
My mum's leaving my house tomorrow. I kinda sent her away. But oh! How it breaks my heart. I needed to take that decision however.
I'm the worst emotional eater who's walked the earth (the universe even). I can't feel anything without turning to food first and last thing.
My mum and I have this kind of super volcanic relationship. I admit that at the time I had severe depression, we didn't know about it and she didn't get all those slight implications of the whole depression thingy. I would binge/emotional eat constantly because I didn't feel good with her around me. I don't even feel confortable with her around me. And yet she's such a great person and a great mum!!!
She has diabetes too. She's been fighting to avoid insulin at all cost so she's taking care of her health food wise, that is, she eats healthy food in small amounts throughout the day and she succeeds beautifully in controlling her weight and blood sugar levels. She has about 6 small meals a day and she can have just a little bit of something she loves. I can't. I'm so used to living all alone and buying lean food (because I eat whatever I find in my kitchen) so I make sure I ONLY have very lean things around myself. She's been cooking healthy food most of the time but I can't help eating a lot of those (starchy carbs), eating constantly or eating late at night or even in the middle of the night.
So I prefer to be alone cos only then can I control whatever I buy and therefore eat. She understands and she's very supportive, but constantly seeing her around food makes me crave those foods so much!!
Now I'm on antidepressants and I feel 100 times better, I'm doing well with my diet and very proud of myself (She'd been absent for a few weeks).
And now, she's back trying to stay with me (She has her own house but somehow she prefers to be with me, for the company and other advantages).
It's breaking my heart but I'm sending my mum away. As simple as that. I feel so miserable but I'm sure it's the price to pay to stay on track cos she provokes emotional eating in me all the time and she makes food too available around the house too much time.
I feel like a bad daughter (I'm not ) and a terrible person (I am). I know I'm causing us a lot of sadness and bitterness but I'm maintaining my decision. For my mental sanity and my health.
I just saw her luggage, packed in the doorway. I felt so bad and I'm rushing here to vent, but I NEED to talk to her. Reassure her that I love her presence, and she can come back later when my goals are reached, but that I need loneliness in the meantime to rebuild my own self and make life better for myself. I'm gonna miss her so much, my heart is bleeding, aching.
The first time I tried to prevent my mum from moving in with me for some time, my sister told me that it was one of the biggest mistakes that life never forgives and makes you regret later. I'm feeling so guilty!
Sorry for so much negativity. I just needed listening ears.
BIG SIGH!

I'm losing 5.5 lbs 12 times. I'm currently left with 8 times!!!
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

this sounds like a really difficult time for you (((hugs))) while i'm not sure I agree with your decision, it sounds like you are doing what you see is best and you are NOT a terrible person for that....best of luck
Old 02-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #3

Why does it break your heart if that's the decision you made? Is it because you don't want to hurt her feelings?

Last edited by Mazzy : 02-26-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #4

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'3

I have a really bad relationship with my mom, I've been told by several therapists and friends and family to make her leave. She's lived with me for 10 years and it has been really hard on my marriage and my well bEing...but I am so scared of the guilt and her not being able to financially make it...I've not been able to do it. I think you are amazingly brave. I don't think your a bad person at all...I think you are doing what you need to do to make your life better. Parents sometimes tend to live vicariously through their kids especially if they don't have their own friends or activities...it's not healthy. Don't beat yourself up...if she is able to live on her own then she should...be strong.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:02 AM   #5

Thanks for replying, everyone. I'm so grateful!
We had breakfast together, and talked about it. She still sounds very disappointed and tried to include others' opinions about the issue (she always does that. Minding what other people think more than her kids feelings) but now I'm ready and I know my priorities. ME FIRST.
We had a good and calm discussion anyway. I'm proud of us!! I'll visit her as often as I can and assist her to the best of my possibility when she's in need. But I NEED TO LIVE MY LIFE.
The house is empty, and I'm alone. I like that.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:32 AM   #6

This must sound selfish but being alone is soooo good! I wake up when I want, and do the things I want WHEN I DECIDE.
I'm swimming in happiness. Beloved cherished independence! I haven't had it in quite a long while.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #7

S/C/G: 173/165/140

Height: 5'2"

What is your work schedule?
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:16 AM   #8

EasySpirit My WORK schedule???

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.