3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Depression and Weight Issues

Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

No stamina to bath/brush teeth. Exercise?!

Old 03-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #16

S/C/G: 242/240/150

Height: 5'5

I totally feel for u thirty. I have been there and am still there to some degree. I have made progress but it is a long haul. Kinda like this post. Ut I can relate to u so want to share. Sorry so long
I lived in Ca all my life until about 7 years ago. I moved to az with my family and stopped working to stay home with my kids. Well being the worst stay at home mom in the world I spent most days in bed for 5 years. I tried at least a dozen meds. The doctor would up them when I told them it wasn't working. I already knew I had fibromyalgia and anxiety and depression. I had been on Effexor for years. Then they tried me on cymbalta for 2 years, I would have days where I would get out of bed to practice a hobby I picked up like sewing or cake decorating or something. But it wasn't consistent. The cymbalta made me sweat something serious and not wanting to shower was not a good combo. I finally said this isn't working. I read everything I could on anti depressants and forums from people with depression and lack of motivation with it. The best drug I found that people liked was Wellbutrin. One problem. I have minor epilepsy and no doc will order it because it can cause seizures. Even though I haven't had a seizure in 20 years and the doc said I probably don't even need meds anymore, I still take them. And last EEG was normal. Anyway I was also put on thyroid meds in that time, can't remember exactly when.
So after cymbalta they tried me on many other things that I don't remember they names of but all made me hungover and groggy and I quit in one week or less. In the mean time I mostly stayed on the cymbalta until I found something that worked. Then before Christmas I ran out for a week and felt like I was going to die. I couldn't even regulate my body temp. I got an emergency appt with my psych and I saw a different doc. She put me on Zoloft. Said it seemed to work best with people with anti motivation type depression. I am rarely sad or crying. Don't feel suicidal. Just don't want to engage in normal activity. So I started it and I swear to u I felt better the next day. It usually it takes 4 weeks. I mean it wasn't 100% but I could move a little. Didn't feel like dying.
So in the last 2 or so years I moved back to Ca after hubby lost his job. Have had a bunch of stress like law suits and bk and being broke. Also daughter in car accident and hubby traveling a lot. We r getting thru it and I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. But I am actually doing a bit better.
I worked for a bit at hobby lobby and picked up a knitting habit. I can't call it a hobby because I do it a little more obsessively than that. But I get out of bed every day. And I brush my teeth daily. I keep my kitchen pretty clean. The rest of the house is coming ever so slowly. Still wish I showered daily but they r getting better. I know that sounds gross but I totally get where u r coming from. I think it is a combo of the meds, follic acid which is sometimes low in people with depression and vit d. Also in some people with depression the folic acid does not cross the blood/brain barrier. There is a special med that has folic acid that does. U can ask doc about it if regular oc stuff does not work. It works fine for me.
My points I hope u gather r this. 1 u r not lazy, it is a disease and u shouldn't be ashamed, even if u don't neccesarily want people who don't have depression to know. 2 try Wellbutrin if u can, it is supposed to be the best 3 have your thyroid checked if u didn't already.4 exercise if u can but start slow. U don't want to burn out on it if it seems like a chore. 5. Find a hobby u like and see if it helps u to get out of bed to do it.
Those r the things that have helped me. I really hope it helps u some.
Beth
Oh and the weight loss thing is new for me over these last few years. I had given up for a while so I don't have a set exercise schedule but when I do walk I feel better.

Last edited by Occheermommy : 03-10-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Occheermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #17

S/C/G: 200/197/115 (as of 04/30/2014)

Height: 5'2"

Occheermommy, it sounds like you are making progress! FWIW, I'm on Wellbutrin, and it hasn't done much. You may not be missing out on much. It definitely hasn't been a miracle drug like I had hoped. I never thought to take folic acid supplements! Thanks for the info!

Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #18

Default I feel for you

I feel for you. I am in the same place but I've tried anti depressants and they did not work. My seratonin levels are normal so it make me feel like I was shot out of a cannon and did not sleep. Talk about trying to lose weight when you cannot sleep. Now that will make someone depressed. Hang in there and know that there are many women in the exact same position. Together hopefully this forum will help those of use who are depressed from weight gain and other factors. I applaud you for pushing through. I hope you have a spouse that supports you as well. Mine has no patience for weight issues and related depression so it makes it an uphill battle.
starvingforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #19
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Please remember to be supportive of your fellow chicks (and roosters). Also, please do not dispense medical advice. I have cleaned up the thread a bit and hope you understand. Also, if anyone has objections to certain posts, please use the report function (red exclamation point on bottom left)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #20

S/C/G: 242/240/150

Height: 5'5

Yeah as far as the folic acid goes there is a bunch of documentation that women don't get enough.nit is most important in child beating years.nof course always talk to doc before starting a supplement cause many can interfere with other meds. I think folic acid is one of the least so but still check. There are other articles that talk about it specifically in depressed patients. That's why they developed the prescription one. Just may be something to discuss at next visit.
The good news is that good veggies like broccoli and spinach have the most so maybe the moral of the story is that we just don't eat enough healthy veggies.
Go figure.
Occheermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.